LEGALLY get rid of buzzards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
    Can you explain more? Do they not then consume the rest of the carcass?
    I had dead newborn with eyes missing found sometime after is why I’m asking.
    It was strange.

They’re notorious for pecking the eyes out and killing the calf. Not sure why they wouldn’t of stuck around to eat more, but maybe momma wouldn’t let them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
      Apply for a preparation permit.
      What if you don’t intend to eat them? Do you still need a preparation permit?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        You know darn good and well that if he’s shooting a buzzard that he’s preparing to eat it. That’s why he has to have a preparation permit. If he want going to eat it, he’d only need a depredation permit. But, to each his own.

Comment

Apply for a preparation permit. I have a rancher friend has one, momma cow has calf buzzard eats after birth then pecks eyes out on new born calf. I have heard some are not native to USA and are legal to shoot. Check with game warden
          Many whitetail fawns are lost this way as well. Deer breeders just handle it discreetly.

Comment

Apply for a preparation permit. I have a rancher friend has one, momma cow has calf buzzard eats after birth then pecks eyes out on new born calf. I have heard some are not native to USA and are legal to shoot. Check with game warden
            Those birds pecking the eyes out of new born calves would be caracaras. They are a good bit more aggressive than the black or red headed turkey vultures. Yes, they have been increasing their range farther and farther north. They are originally from Mexico, but they are all over the southern half of Texas at this point. Used to be we only saw them down in south Texas, within a 100 miles of the boarder, not anymore they are a good ways north of San Antonio now days.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

Comment

Trap them... or so I've heard...

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  Those birds pecking the eyes out of new born calves would be caracaras. They are a good bit more aggressive than the black or red headed turkey vultures. Yes, they have been increasing their range farther and farther north. They are originally from Mexico, but they are all over the southern half of Texas at this point. Used to be we only saw them down in south Texas, within a 100 miles of the boarder, not anymore they are a good ways north of San Antonio now days.
                  We have a breading pair behind our station in Northeast Texas 70 miles from the red river.

Comment

Gotta deep thud like a 10lb sack of flour smashing into the ground...I have heard.

Comment

FYI: Mexican vultures (black head) do it, as well.

Comment

Not around here its the black headed buzzards

Comment

I know what this guy would do.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWO2KU0vMbQ"]The Best Pigeon Hunt you'll Ever See!! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

My uncle got a permit for them and we use to shoot a lot!

Comment

Three years ago I ran into them in northern Virginia...

Black head..
                              Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 10-04-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

One old rancher friend of mine used to have a "buzzard trap" in one of his pastures. It was basically a chicken netting square cage about 30 feet across, with top on it, and a covered "chute" or tunnel going into the center of it, made from the same material. Then he'd bait with a dead calf or deer guts, etc. the buzzards would walk around the outside of the trap after they got in it, but couldn't figure out how to go back out the tunnel. He said he caught as as many as 50 in it before. Then he would "re-home" them... The biggest problem was picking up the nasty things and putting them in the tractor bucket and taking them to their new home...

Comment

Working...
                                X