Single Bevel Broadhead Sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Bevel Broadhead Sharpening

Want to try some single bevels but also want to be able to resharpen them. The KME kit looks EZ enough and I could also use on my double bevels. Anyone ever use it, or have another kit at same price point that EZ to use?

I used Stay Sharp version C to get my Strickland Helix shaving sharp. Kit is $37 plus shipping, so around $45. There are different guides available depending on what head you are using.

Comment

KME is great quality. I have some stay sharp jigs and they work fine but they are 3d printed and lack the quality of metal parts. I also suspect I will wear them out eventually. In retrospect I wish I had just bought the kme right off the bat. Only downside is it is more expensive.

Comment

I have both

Buy the Stay Sharp one and try it out, it will last plenty long enough for you to get your money's worth

If you decide you are going to stick with it then you can buy the KME

Not sure what broadhead you are shooting but if it is something with anything but a straight cutting edge (massai, kudu, helix, etc) you will be wasting money

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on 4 blade single bevel heads? Iron Will and DRT both have SB heads with a bleeder option. This seems odd to me. Anyone have experience with that.

Comment

I use the KME knife shapener kit. I bought the broadhead jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
              Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on 4 blade single bevel heads? Iron Will and DRT both have SB heads with a bleeder option. This seems odd to me. Anyone have experience with that.

It’s a pretty silly notion of you get down to the brass tacks of it. People shoot a SB edge because they either:
              A) want increased penetration
              Or
              B) want to have a better chance of breaching bone

Whatever the motivation the additional blades make the head less efficient and imo defeat the purpose of shooting a SB head in the first place. You may not see a huge difference in a two blade SB vs a SB with bleeders when it comes to soft tissue penetration but breaking bone the head with no bleeders will outperform and even more so on heavier bone mass. Aside from that in most cases you will be weakening the ferrule when it is machined accept bleeders. Just remember that any notching or cutting on the ferrule is essentially creating stress risers on the ferrule itself and by nature these can be structural failure points under the right conditions.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Mr Bear…make sure to sharpen and polish the non beveled side too. I prefer back dragging on a fine diamond stone a smidgeon then leather stropping both sides.

Good luck. Ive no experience with the KME system.

Comment

Working...
                X