Land clearing question for yall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land clearing question for yall

Which method is best? The skid steer or a dozer with one of those root grabbers?I saw five acres a guy had done with a skid steer and he had dang near knocked the hide off of every tree I saw.
    Additionally, how can you plant anything with the large chunks of shredded trees covering the ground? I heard it was good because it acted like mulch and kept the ground dry etc etc but I’m not sold on it. The person recommended gets $125.00 per hour, works fast, and is honest.
    What’s yalls input on this? Preciate it.

In!

Looks like pros and cons no matter which way.

An excavator with grapple seemed to work best for me. Dozer kicked up far too many rocks. Couldn't do fine clearing with the big excavator though. But we are very rocky also.

Could use dozer to pile and burn. I'd get small piles ready to burn and have him push into the fire as he goes.

I'd love to try the mulching thing but far too rocky.

Comment

Alot depends on whats there now? large trees etc or just brush.

And then what do you plan to do with it?

If its primarily large timber then a trackhoe and or dozer is the way to go.

Same for small timber if you are wanting to plant something or be able to level grade etc.

If you just want it cleared for recreational purposes then a skid steer with mulcher is a good option due to no piles or mess.

There is a time and place for both alot depends on whats there and the purpose of clearing.

I own and run both.

Comment

It all depends on the operator, your end game, and your soil type. Pros/cons either way.

Comment

Excavator and someone who can operate it will be your best bet.

Comment

Need more info and details to answer your question.

What are you trying to clear? Cedar? Yaupon? prickly pear? what type of soil do you have? County/location?

I was told that mulched cedar keeps the ground moist, but it takes forever to rot and go away, and nothing really grows underneath it.

Comment

I prefer the skid steer or track hoe over a dozer , depending on the amount of rocks dozers have their place though

Root up pile burn, the mulch isn’t the best ground cover
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-14-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Svl95 with a root grapple and you would be surprised with what can be done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s in Robertson county, sandy loam, yaupon, large and small oaks, cedars. Looking to clear maybe an acre for cabin and possible food plot. A small place. Wife wants a nice place with fire pit, lights etc. A place to invite people. Its almost 12 acres.
                  I’ve only got one stretch of fence to run so I’d like some cleared land but still have a privacy barrier around that. The parcel is divided by a small right of way and surrounded by a large ranch on three sides. I realize I can’t manage 12 acres but would like to do something that is beneficial to the wildlife, as far as clearing is concerned.

Comment

As others have said depends on your land and your intentions.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Like has been said, it really depends on a few factors. I would not judge all equipment operators based on one operator knocking the hide off the trees. This usually happens when you have an in-experienced operator or the operator is operating the equipment too fast. Depending on your location and size of the project, the dozer may be more effective than the skid steer.

I own and operate a skid steer with a shredder and have personally not seen the mulch prevent growth of vegetation. However if I were wanting to be able to plant ground cover or food plots quickly, I would avoid shredding.

A few things that I always discuss with customers.
                      1) What is the end goal of the property. What you want in a residential lot differs from a shooting lane.

2) Location: In the hill country a skid steer can push over just about any tree, which results in the root ball being raised to the surface. In other parts of the state, pushing large trees over is not feasible without a dozer.

3) Cost of disposal - Shredding is typically done quickly and is included in the cost of the machine. Burning may take more time depending on location and burn ban and requires handing of the debris. Haul off - can be done quickly but does cost more.

Comment

Lots of great information gentlemen. I can’t really add anything as far as a description of what I want done. I was leaning toward a small dozer. The developer is putting in a road and there will be a fence along one side so I don’t know how big a piece of machinery can get in there yet. Dang sure don’t wanna mess the road up and wind up paying for that as well.

Comment

Dozer with a great operator

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            Lots of great information gentlemen. I can’t really add anything as far as a description of what I want done. I was leaning toward a small dozer. The developer is putting in a road and there will be a fence along one side so I don’t know how big a piece of machinery can get in there yet. Dang sure don’t wanna mess the road up and wind up paying for that as well.
                            D6 size dozer is about 45,000 lbs and is able to push trees, should be able to truck it In easier then you think if it’s not wet

Comment

give Stolle on here a ring. he does great work and he's a TBH dude.

Comment

Working...
                              X