Air Conditioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioners

Parents AC went out. What brands do yall recommend and why? Dads not a huge fan of heat pumps. Are they any better than they were 20 years ago? They live on the coast. Galveston Co.

Heat pumps are absolutely better than they were 20 years ago and are definitely the way to go in an all-electric house.
    As for brand, any of the big names will be good if properly installed. If you are shopping it around, a good question to ask is about their lead time. Several brands have been experiencing shortages lately. I’m not in that market so not sure who is the go-to over there. Installation quality, warranties, and guarantees on the work is much more important than the brand name of the unit.

Comment

Daikin.

Comment

Have Carrier High Efficiency units in this new house. If She can, The Mini Splits are the bomb. Had them over La Grange way in a 2800 sq. foot Log Home and they were Awesome. Used very little electricity.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks

Comment

My choice was to keep with Trane for both my AC/Heat pumps when I replaced them 3 weeks before Hurricane Harvey. My brother has been in the AC business in the Phluggerville area for the 30 years or so. He did tell me to either go with Trane or American Standard. That they were made in the same factory. "Nothing tuns like a Trane". Just saying........cC

Comment

Whatever brand you get Make sure what the warraty details are before you buy. I got a new system (Goodman)5 yrs ago. I forget the details but made by a major player (Carrier I think) and supposedly same major components in the same factory. 3 yrs in and the condenser fan quit. Called the company that installed the unit, they replaced the capacitor and handed me a bill for $200. Come to find out the warranty is for Parts Only! Read the fine print. And no, they aren't the same quality as 25 yrs ago (Thats how old my old one was).

Comment

I have an ac company in Galveston co. I install Goodman it has a 10 year parts warranty and I give a 1 year labor warranty and give the option of purchasing 10 year labor warranty as well. I can give a bid they’ll save a cpl bucks and not sacrifice quality of install

Comment

Someone told me Amana warrantied the compressor for as long as you own the home and then the regular 10 years on the inside unit. Anyone know about that?

Comment

When I replaced mine I did quite a bit of research and asking around to folks that are in the industry. I talked to new sales guys and service techs. Just about the time I was dead set on one brand I would hear from two guys in a row that they see a bunch of problems with Brand X. Once I decided the AC company that I was comforatable with to do the work I asked him what he would do. He said that all of them have the potential to have issues and there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind it. His suggestion was to go with the brand that had the largest rebates at the time which was Carrier. I have had them for 6 years now and not had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-J View Post
                      Someone told me Amana warrantied the compressor for as long as you own the home and then the regular 10 years on the inside unit. Anyone know about that?
                      Yes properly registered Amana systems have lifetime unit replacement warranties for their compressors.

Comment

The installing company is MUCH more important than the brand name on the box.

Comment

Daikin

Comment

heat pump is your best choice. they are very efficient now days and reliable.
                            the only down side is if you live in a very cold climate they dont heat well in the winter. snowmaggedon probably will not hit the coast again in our lifetime.

Comment

Heat pump for sure if home is all electric. Right now just any dependable brand you can find in stock. Inverter units are the best for efficiency and comfort. But again hopefully can find one in stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X