Things to do in New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NewTexian View Post
    I never wanted to go the New York, however, my wife did so we compromised and went to New York in December. It was by far the best vacation I have been on. Loved it so much going back in November for a week. We stayed right in Times Square. Like others have said you HAVE to see the 9/11 memorial and museum. Buy your tickets beforehand or there is a kiosk on the back of the building; the line is long at the window. Central Park was great and for restaurants, I would recommend Pj Clarks. This was by far the best restaurant we went to. Take comfortable shoes and get the week-long subway pass. You don't think you will need it but you will. Go see a Broadway show if you can. I saw Book of Morman and it was awesome but its not for kids. Enjoy
    How is the weather in November? I will be there the first weekend of 11/18 for the NYC Marathon with my wife and daughter, 3 years old, I hope the temperature to cooperate

Comment

Originally posted by AHF View Post
      How is the weather in November? I will be there the first weekend of 11/18 for the NYC Marathon with my wife and daughter, 3 years old, I hope the temperature to cooperate
      We were there for Thanksgiving. It was in the 30s and 40s quite a bit over the week. But fronts can blow in and at anytime and drop down lower than that and dump snow.

Comment

I brought some coliche up here, so when i step off my deck in the am...my first steps are on Hill country coliche. How could the day start bad?
        Only thing...i dont smell the cedars and see the blue bonnets.

New York can be scary if your people shy. Glad y'all enjoying NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF View Post
          I'm not sure. We went the first week of December last year and all it took was a jacket. The same jacket I wear here. If I would have waited 3 days it turned in to single digit temps. I would go back in December but can't get the time off. The first weekend of November is when we are going too, this year. I heard about the marathon the other day, which is why my hotel is so expensive.

Comment

When I travel I want to eat a bunch of good food, see museums, walk around and explore, so NY is one of my favorite US cities to visit.

If you like museums, go see the 9/11 museum for sure. If you don't like museums, go see the 9/11 exhibit for sure. I recommend getting tickets for the guided tour.

Yeah, the italian food and pizza are excellent (ugh, and the cannolis are waaay too good). But if you want something different, and you've never had real ramen, I cannot recommend enough that you visit one of their dozen or so highly rated ramen shops. It's amazingly good. Ippudo happens to be my favorite (of the 3 I've tried). Make sure to get some nitamago (marinated soft boiled eggs) in it.

Remember that transportation by bus/train/subway is cheap, relatively simple, and pretty darn quick, though buses can be slow. If you're taking a subway with luggage, be prepared to go through hell with those turnstiles.

Here's the drawbacks to new york as a visitor:
            -Large homeless population
            -Can be pretty dirty
            -Crowds in some areas can be claustrophobic
            -Yankees don't know chit about manners

Comment

I hated NY. Rude people, overpriced everything, and crowded. Did I mention Rude people but the 911 memorial was worth it. Take the free ferry to look at the Statue of Liberty not the boat tour you just look straight up at a statue. The 911 memorial I would go back to again. Did I mention overpriced everything and rude people

Comment

I didn't meet one rude person. Subway lady was helpful, had to get a new phone there and the store people were great, good natured teasing about my Astros gear, chatted with police officers, restaurant staff were great. More than I can say for some parts of texas

Comment

Working...
                X