Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
jakefromtx
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default Big Lake Bottom WMA E-Postcard

Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Big Lake Bottom WMA bow hunt, 9/28/2018 through 10/7/2018. I have never hunted it or been in the area before. Any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake
jakefromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
bigdaddy590
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefromtx View Post
Hey y'all, I just got drawn for the Big Lake Bottom WMA bow hunt, 9/28/2018 through 10/7/2018. I have never hunted it or been in the area before. Any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake
Call the bio. He's a heck of a nice guy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
bigdaddy590 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Sarge03
Eight Point

Hunt In: Private Lease in Splendora and SHNF

Make sure to bring an ATV or side by side. You wonít want to walk all that area. Donít waste your time with corn or bait. Entirely to much natural food sources out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sarge03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
edbo144
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get invited!

Make certain that you have a fully stocked thermacell with extra pads and fuel. The mosquitos are serious. An atv or utv will help out tremendously. The bio and the tech that work there are good dudes, theyíll try to steer you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edbo144 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
cizzle210
Spike

Hunt In: ANYWHERE USA

Same here

Last edited by cizzle210; 09-05-2018 at 12:25 AM.
cizzle210 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #6
cizzle210
Spike

I got drawn on that same timeframe. Nice to see other TBH guys out there. Best of luck I plan to take a walk about the weekend before to get a lay of the land.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Hank Hill
Eight Point

I got drawn for the 2nd year in a row, this time the first week of November. As others have said above the TPWD staff are very accommodating and they will help you out with any specific questions or requests you may have. The TPWD team has done a tremendous job clearing up roads, as long as it hasn't rained you can traverse most anywhere with a 4x4 truck. If its wet at all, however, you're going to either need an ATV or hoof it.

Last year I was drawn for the first (adult) hunt - starting last week of September and it was a tough row. The bucks weren't rutting and if you wanted to get on them you'd have needed be doing your due diligence ahead of time. The WMA is open year round (with exception of hunt weekends) and I'd highly recommend scouting in advance.

In addition to that - a tree stand is an absolute must-have. There are also a couple of functioning old tower stands nestled away there, that were leftover from when it was private property. Also, as stated above, a thermacell is a mandatory piece of equipment. If you want to stick some pigs while you're out there the West line of the property is covered up in them - but they can be found all over.

Last tidbit - they allow baiting, but dont waste your time hauling a bag of corn out there, they're too used to eating the all the acorns that are available. I did bring a ziploc of corn to toss under my stand, in hopes that it might get something to pause for a second while it was passing by but nothing ever came of it.

Good luck on your hunt, you'll have cell service so post some pics when you get out there!
Hank Hill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
HuntorFish
Nubbin' Buck

Our group of 4 got drawn for 11/30-12/9 period.
HuntorFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Cberry
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I was drawn for the 11/30 -12/9 as well.

Climbers are allowed correct? I noticed they said non damaging tree stand so I didn't know how they meant by damaging.

Also, is it split up by compartments?
Cberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
Birddog66
Ten Point

Myself and 2 hunting buddies were drawn for Oct. 12-21. Looking forward to it. Any advice is appreciated.
Birddog66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
ABWGTX
Four Point

Just me, 9/28/2018 - 10/7/2018

All I have is a 2wd Tundra. Might have to steal something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cberry View Post

^^^^THIS^^^^™

Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.
ABWGTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
Hank Hill
Eight Point

Quote:

Climbers are allowed correct? I noticed they said non damaging tree stand so I didn't know how they meant by damaging.

No compartments
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Hank Hill
Eight Point

Quote:

Yes climbers are allowed
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzle210 View Post
I got drawn on that same timeframe. Nice to see other TBH guys out there. Best of luck I plan to take a walk about the weekend before to get a lay of the land.

You may not be able to unless you go before hunting season.

jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
jdunn6092
Four Point

I was drawn for nov 16-25th!!!

Old 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #16
Birddog66
Ten Point

What kind of deer are running around up there? size, score? I know very little about the place.
Birddog66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #17
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
What kind of deer are running around up there? size, score? I know very little about the place.

I talked to the biologist yesterday and he said 3 yrs ago they had a big flood that wipes out the deer population so the majority of deer are 3 yrs and younger. Which sucks because they have a 15 inch antler restriction.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
King_G
Four Point

I hunted a place last year that boarder big lake bottom. Guys there are some really nice bucks running on that WMA. I shot a nice 147 on our place there but have seen some that was easily 150-160.
King_G is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
Rambo1
Nubbin' Buck

We got drawn for 10/12-10/21. Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
Rambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #20
jakefromtx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cizzle210 View Post
Looking forward to meeting you. Are you gonna be camping out there?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #21
jakefromtx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
No compartments
I was wondering the same thing about compartments. The pdf they sent said compartment hunting but I have hunted places in the past that say they are when they aren't.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
jakefromtx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
Just me, 9/28/2018 - 10/7/2018

All I have is a 2wd Tundra. Might have to steal something!

^^^^THIS^^^^ô
Are you going to be camping out there as well?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #23
dbavery21
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lewisville & public lands

I got drawn for 11/16-11/25. Y’all to save me a couple! First time hunting Big lake. Do most of the guys camp onsite, or do they head to a motel?
dbavery21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #24
dbavery21
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lewisville & public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
I was drawn for nov 16-25th!!!

Iím going to be out there the same time frame. Would love to meet some TBH guys out there! Are you going to be camping out there?
dbavery21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #25
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbavery21 View Post
Iím going to be out there the same time frame. Would love to meet some TBH guys out there! Are you going to be camping out there?

I think I will be camping there or sleeping in my truck ha.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #26
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing about compartments. The pdf they sent said compartment hunting but I have hunted places in the past that say they are when they aren't.

It just depends on how many people show up. If everyone shows up then they have to do compartments.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #27
realtothebone
Nubbin' Buck

Default comartments

Quote:
It just depends on how many people show up. If everyone shows up then they have to do compartments.

where did you get that info from.
realtothebone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #28
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:
Are you going to be camping out there as well?
Proably so, at least Friday night maybe Saturday too depending on work. Been looking over my equipment and getting in some practice. Scouting the area the 15th or 22th weekend maybe in the cards. No substitute for being there no matter how good the advice. Look forward to meeting Ya'll!

BTW... I'll be the old guy with the Rooster front sight windage compensator on the crossbow.

Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-07-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #29
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtothebone View Post
where did you get that info from.

From the biologist. He said they donít like doing compartments but if everyone shows up they have to.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #30
Hank Hill
Eight Point

Quote:
From the biologist. He said they donít like doing compartments but if everyone shows up they have to.

I'm betting the requirement to buy an APH is going to make for a greater turnout.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #31
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
I'm betting the requirement to buy an APH is going to make for a greater turnout.

Itís possible!!! Weíll see when the hunts get here.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #32
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

for some reason I always thought this WMA was next to Richland Creek WMA, assuming it part of the bottom land below RC Lake ... guess it is but farther down the pike.
Anyway, a lot of deer in that country and some nice ones too. Don't worry about people talking about flooding, that land down there floods often and the deer come right back.
Good luck on your hunt.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #33
WreakinHavoc
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I got drawn for the 2nd year in a row, this time the first week of November. As others have said above the TPWD staff are very accommodating and they will help you out with any specific questions or requests you may have. The TPWD team has done a tremendous job clearing up roads, as long as it hasn't rained you can traverse most anywhere with a 4x4 truck. If its wet at all, however, you're going to either need an ATV or hoof it.

Last year I was drawn for the first (adult) hunt - starting last week of September and it was a tough row. The bucks weren't rutting and if you wanted to get on them you'd have needed be doing your due diligence ahead of time. The WMA is open year round (with exception of hunt weekends) and I'd highly recommend scouting in advance.

In addition to that - a tree stand is an absolute must-have. There are also a couple of functioning old tower stands nestled away there, that were leftover from when it was private property. Also, as stated above, a thermacell is a mandatory piece of equipment. If you want to stick some pigs while you're out there the West line of the property is covered up in them - but they can be found all over.

Last tidbit - they allow baiting, but dont waste your time hauling a bag of corn out there, they're too used to eating the all the acorns that are available. I did bring a ziploc of corn to toss under my stand, in hopes that it might get something to pause for a second while it was passing by but nothing ever came of it.

Good luck on your hunt, you'll have cell service so post some pics when you get out there!

I was selected for the same time frame also... 11/2-11/11.
I will be traveling solo... Shoot me a PM if you want to link up. It will be my first time out there.
WreakinHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #34
JWeaver2
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

I got selected for these dates as well 11/16-25th. Probably camp a couple days.
JWeaver2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #35
miller_time
Nubbin' Buck

I drew 9/28-10/7 as well! Right now I am planning on hiking it from the parking lot as I do not have access to an ATV at the moment. Does anyone know how feasible it will be with gear + tree stand?
miller_time is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #36
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I have done the regular draw hunt at big lake twice. I guess it has been 2 years since I did it. I'm not sure if they went to all e-postcard hunts now or if the regular draw hunts still exist there. Looks like you get about twice as long with the post card hunts. That will be nice. Most people will only hunt a few days.

On the draw hunts i attended there, yes there are compartments. 6 of them to be specific. Pre-scouting would be a great idea if they don't do compartments. However no one tends to have a compartment preference unless they do not have an atv. You can request a certain compartment usually. With the 10 day hunt windows, pre scouting is not as critical.

There are only 2 access points to this unit, so your options will be limited to how far you are willing to walk if you do not have a 4x4 or atv. Every year I was there it was super muddy gumbo. ATV was a must. But yes you could kill deer by walking in.

I have not hunted there since the big flood but before it, deer numbers were excellent. However, it is still bow hunting. You still have to know what you are doing. Most people will not take a deer on that hunt using archery equipment. There is practically no underbrush. Visibility is quite good in lots of areas. What makes the hunting hard is the fact that it is 4000 acres that is almost all the same. All flat ground with mature hardwoods. All the same does not go well with getting deer to walk by your tree. You are going to have to find something to funnel them. Ditches, strips of heavy brush, etc. Don't expect to spot these features off of your 4x4.

I totally disagree with the comments to not bother with corn. But corn is not magic. However, if you put it where they already want to be, they will certainly find it and eat it. Just don't expect to have success just because you dumped some corn out. It needs to be a good spot that you added corn to.

My first year there I back strapped a 120ish 8 point with my recurve because I suck at life. The next year I killed a doe with it. I would have likely taken multiple deer both years if I had been hunting with the compound back then. I was still to hard headed then though.

The "camping area" there sucks a lot. It is a parking lot with no shade or bathroom unless they have added one since. You'd have to drive about a mile just to get to woods you could poop in.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #37
cizzle210
Spike

Yes I’ll be camping out there going down this weekend to do my walk a bout
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #38
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeaver2 View Post
I got selected for these dates as well 11/16-25th. Probably camp a couple days.

Sweet. Iíll see you there. I will probably sleep in my truck......maybe a tent

Old 09-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
HuntorFish
Nubbin' Buck

Any updates from the guys that were out there this weekend? How wet is it? Did enough guys show up that compartments were chosen?
HuntorFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #40
ABWGTX
Four Point

No compartments, water run off from lake water is rising on the westside. STRONG ATV RECOMMEND!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #41
Matt B.
Six Point

Hunt In: bastrop and willamson county

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntorFish View Post
Any updates from the guys that were out there this weekend? How wet is it? Did enough guys show up that compartments were chosen?
I left there today after hunting the weekend, lots of water but not as bad as I expected, the deer were there just alittle tough to find. I didnít get a shot but saw several. No compartments were assigned so that was nice. Definitely bring an atv if you have one because the roads are sloppy after the weekend
Matt B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #42
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Following

GBludau is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #43
birdsongty1
Nubbin' Buck

I got a tag for Nov 30 - Dec 9. First time hopefully it dries up

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk
birdsongty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #44
philipolsen
Spike

Hunt In: where ever i can

Well, didn`t hear much from the first hunt. Headed out in the morning for the second group, hope I get lucky
philipolsen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #45
GBludau
Eight Point

I was informed there were a couple deer harvested, and a couple not recovered. Let us know the conditions out there, Phillip

Old 10-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #46
birdsongty1
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I was informed there were a couple deer harvested, and a couple not recovered. Let us know the conditions out there, Phillip

Not recovered, I guess I don't understand how that works. Sloppy archery

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #47
philipolsen
Spike

Hunt In: where ever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post

Will do. They called to verify I would still be attending the hunt and they told me it was extremely wet out there, and to be prepared for that, which I think I am
philipolsen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #48
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsongty1 View Post
Not recovered, I guess I don't understand how that works. Sloppy archery

One day you will.

It happens to the best of us.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #49
birdsongty1
Nubbin' Buck

Knock on wood, never bow hunting, once rifle hunting

Old 10-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #50
WreakinHavoc
Nubbin' Buck

So I'm curious, with all this rain thata going on especially what's predicted the next 2 weeks ... Will it be worth hunting the 11/1-11/11 draw?? Will it flood if we get much more rain?? Heard that's pretty dang flat and it all floods evenly and doesnt take much to flood it.
WreakinHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top