Carry-trailer hub replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carry-trailer hub replacement?

Installed new hubs on 5x8 one side went on just like the old one, grease seal flush with hub. The other side I tapped in the grease seal flush with hub , but when I went to put the hub on the grease seal would not slip over the largest part of the spindle. I would push and twist this hub when installing and it would not slip over the biggest inner part of the spindle.
    So put the nut on hoping this would help the seal to slip over, but all it did was push the seal into the hub, recessing the grease seal. The hub was tight and spins freely.
    Thinking the seal was the problem installed another seal, but same issue….seal pushes into hub. Is this normal?
    Thanks in advance for any direction.
    Last edited by Ungawa; 12-17-2021, 08:57 PM.

Looking for opinions here, surly some on this site has install trailer wheel hubs before. Come on guys! Thanks in advance.

Comment

Similar problem and discovered that Big Tex Trailer dealer sold me the wrong size seal and bearing. Correct sizes went on as they should.

Comment

Yup sounds like wrong Seal unless your replacing bc a bearing got burned it might of disfigured the spindle it don’t take much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Actually the hub I am having problems with the seal Is the one that was good. I only charge it because I was replacing the bad one on the other side, I figured I would install two new hubs. The grease seal I am having problems with is the same size as the other side that went on with no issue. I even cleaned the spindle up with emery cloth to make sure the seal had a clean surface to ride on.
          Also tried two different seals.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
            Yup sounds like wrong Seal unless your replacing bc a bearing got burned it might of disfigured the spindle it don’t take much.

“Don’t take much”. Maybe I will have to clean it up with a file?

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
              “Don’t take much”. Maybe I will have to clean it up with a file?

No sir I’d keep honing with the emery cloth or heck if that’s the good side take and use the old seal and see if it slips on?

Comment

I'd get some calipers and measure both axles.

Comment

Good points. I appreciate the direction from all of y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I'd get some calipers and measure both axles.
                    Yep. Spindles might not be the same.

Comment

See if the seal will slide onto the spindle where it is supposed to go before installing it in the hub. I always do this anyway to make sure I have the right seal.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                        See if the seal will slide onto the spindle where it is supposed to go before installing it in the hub. I always do this anyway to make sure I have the right seal.
                        I did and it did not. I thought installing it then tightening the nut would press it but all it did was push the seal further into the hub. I will try again once I get another seal and make sure it slips over by hand first before installing into the hub. Now I know better. Thanks

Comment

Original hub that came off that side of axle?

Comment

In these instances. I would buy an extra as well as bearings and keep them on hand. All my trailers have a piece of threaded pipe about 3" long welded to the tongue with the threaded cap on it and bearings and seals inside.

Comment

Get a caliper and measure the diameter where the seal rides. Sounds like the spindles are not the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X