No announcement yet.

Help on Long range rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My go to long range rifle is a cheap ugly old Savage 110 in 7mmWSM mounted in a Boyd thumb hole laminated stock and topped with a Leupold 4x12. I would not hesitate to take 600yd shots from a good solid rest. Hand loads of course using Barnes TSX 140gr. Longest deer kill to date is 435yds lasered.

Comment

6mmx284 CatBird is another long range wildcat round that P-dog shooters like.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce16 View Post
        Yes, thats what I have been thinking about as long as the SPS actions are good. $300 for a barrell and $200 for a stock, and seems like Id have what I been looking for.... But sure looking for some feedback from the GS from others that been down this road.
        You are going to be hard pressed to do it under $1,000. You still need to have a smith chamber,crown and fit your barrel. The barrel doesn't come chambered. Also you are going to want to pillar and glass bed your action in the stock. You are looking at probably another $500 for finishing it out.

Comment

Here you go........best bang for the buck in a factory precision rifle, IMO...........

The Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precision will allow you to shrink your groups while expanding your reach. The Model 12 Long Range Precision rifle begins it's life as

Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision, in stock at Bud's Gunshop for $972 with free shipping, available in both .260 and 6.5 Creedmore (which would be my choice). Add good glass and have fun. Hunted pronghorns with a guy that had one of these in 6.5 Creedmore back in October, he had a Vortex 6-20 Viper FFP scope on it, and had no trouble taking a goat at over 500 yards with it.

Stu

Comment

rem 700 5r mil spec 308....mine shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards right out of the box....Well that’s with hand loads but stock rifle. It shoots 1/2 moa out to 500 yards pretty easy. I've taken it out to 750 yards once and it shot right at 7" 5 shot group. That was just off a bipod....no sand bags or anything special.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
              I've got a 110 in .270 that shoots a tree shot group I can cover with a nickel or dime, and that's with a $50 Simmons scope on it.
              No offense bud, i never said Savages weren't accurate, they most certainly are. I would not hesitate to own one, i just won't spend a grand building one. I just don't like the way they look, the back end of the bolt looks unfinished without a shroud or "tailpiece".

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                No offense bud, i never said Savages weren't accurate, they most certainly are. I would not hesitate to own one, i just won't spend a grand building one. I just don't like the way they look, the back end of the bolt looks unfinished without a shroud or "tailpiece".

I was agreeing with you lol. I quit reading after your said savage

Comment

Ahhhhh, my bad then. They are nice rifles my nephew has one, all tactical styled and what not. Very accurate rifle, just ugly as sin!

Comment

Going to have a hard time finding a 700 5R for $1K unless you find a used one. I paid just under $1300 for mine. It is awesome for a factory rife.

Comment

Go this website: benchrest.com/shooterscorner/

This basically a bench rest site but what makes a better long range gun than one set up for bench rest. He has a looong list of complete guns, varmint guns, actions, barrels, stocks, scopes, both new and used.

Might be worth a look-----

Comment

After giving you the website I went browsing around in it. Noticed you were interested in a 7-08. He has this one listed.

7MM-08 Silhouette Custom, Trued 700 BDL action; Hart 24” SS bbl w/.3055 nk c.350 rnds; Factory wood stock professionally altered to 21⁄4” wide
                        flat bottom forend w/pillar glassbedding; Factory trig; Includes: Weaver scope bases; Gunsmith: G. Fullmer; VG+ cond. An accurate custom bargain
                        rig. Gun weighs 91⁄2 lbs. $795. (c. $1450. invested)

Comment

carterscountry in houston had a 338 lapua savage 111 i think was the model for $1100

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
                            After giving you the website I went browsing around in it. Noticed you were interested in a 7-08. He has this one listed.

7MM-08 Silhouette Custom, Trued 700 BDL action; Hart 24” SS bbl w/.3055 nk c.350 rnds; Factory wood stock professionally altered to 21⁄4” wide
                            flat bottom forend w/pillar glassbedding; Factory trig; Includes: Weaver scope bases; Gunsmith: G. Fullmer; VG+ cond. An accurate custom bargain
                            rig. Gun weighs 91⁄2 lbs. $795. (c. $1450. invested)
                            I would be very leery of any rifles that have a non standard neck diameter.

Comment

Interesting reading...good posts!

Comment

I looked at the benchrest site, says the list was updated May2013. Dont know how accurate it would be or if thats just a mistake.
                                Im back to researching calibers again. I will be hunting with this some, prolly not further than 500 yds. But will use it to bang steel out further if possible. Im considering the .243 now, it is comparable to a few of those calibers I am already considering. I alreadyreload for .243 but just for deer and varmints and current rifle doesnt have enough twist.

Comment

Working...
                                X