Bow blew up!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow blew up!!!

I built this bow close to two years ago and the guy calls me and tells me he thinks his bow might be cracked. Made arrangements for him to come by and the bow definitely failed. We talk for a while and I'm still trying to figure out how it happened and he says oh I have my arrows in the truck. ok let's see take a look at em. Well I'm thinking we might find the culprit. He tells me his arrows weigh 400 grains and his bow is 55lbs. He told me it really smokes a arrow. I said yep I bet so. I told him he was just a little on the lite end for his arrows and would replace his bow for him. I also told him he needs to get his arrows right.

It happens.
    Attached Files

Ouch, nice looking bow, too bad it had to go.

Comment

thats so sad

Comment

A lot of hard work down the drain. Sorry.

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear about the bow. How ya been bro haven't heard from you in awhile.

Comment

I'm confused on the arrow weight bit for trad archery. I just picked up a new recurve from a well respected builder. I asked about arrow weight and was told 7.5gpi or so would be ok. Shot the bow for quite a bit while I was there. We bare shaft tuned the bow. Best arrow flight from it was a GT 3555 with 125gr fp. Total arrow weight is right around 380gr. Bow is 49#@28", but I'm drawing 29".

Is this all wrong? Should I look for different arrows or what?
            Last edited by Blue Tick; 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Derailed! Lol jk
              Sorry for your loss...

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Tick View Post
                I confused on the arrow weight bit for trad archery. I just picked up a new recurve from a well respected builder. I asked about arrow weight and was told 7.5gpi or so would be ok. Shot the bow for quite a bit while I was there. We bare shaft tuned the bow. Best arrow flight from it was a GT 3555 with 125gr fp. Total arrow weight is right around 380gr. Bow is 49#@28", but I'm drawing 29".

Most folks use 9 to 10 grains per pound of draw weight as a minimum arrow weight..

example: 49lb bow @ 28" X 9 grains = 441 grains complete arrow weight.

49lb bow @ 28" X 10 grains = 490 grains complete arrow weight

380 grains is a might on the light side if your draw length is 28" you would adjust for draw length/draw weight...

Comment

Dang, a good lookin bow too

Comment

What Cooper said. I think most experienced Trad shooters, think the best weight is between 8 to 10 gr per pound of bow weight. This helps you in three ways, A heavy arrow will absorb more energy and less vibration/shock will be dispersed through the bow (bow damage/ wear and tear), A heavy arrow by taking the energy will make your bow much quieter, and lastly it will help in penatration. Getting the most out of the energy you get from your bow. At our slow speeds this translates into better performance on the animal.

Like most things, too much is not a good thing. If you get too heavy, you start loosing speed and not getting as much in return.

So sorry about the broken bow.

Comment

No big deal to me it happens. Just could have been prevented if the guy shot the right weight arrows. Already got a new one built for him. Just putting it out there for people to be careful.

Shawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Tick View Post
                        I'm confused on the arrow weight bit for trad archery. I just picked up a new recurve from a well respected builder. I asked about arrow weight and was told 7.5gpi or so would be ok. Shot the bow for quite a bit while I was there. We bare shaft tuned the bow. Best arrow flight from it was a GT 3555 with 125gr fp. Total arrow weight is right around 380gr. Bow is 49#@28", but I'm drawing 29".

I prefer heavier arrows myself, but I wouldn't call it "wrong". Depends on what you are doing, imo.

If you are just shooting targets, and the bow builder told you it would handle that weight arrow, shoot it if you like it that light.

If you plan on shooting critters, what Chunky said.

Comment

I recommend 10 grns per lb to my customer. Will increase the life of the bow and like Mark says will help on penetration. I personally shoot about 11 grns per lb. Sorry bout the bow Shawn. I know it happens but it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by dmaxshawn View Post
                            I built this bow close to two years ago and the guy calls me and tells me he thinks his bow might be cracked. Made arrangements for him to come by and the bow definitely failed. ......... would replace his bow for him.
                            It happens.
                            excellent customer service. Hats off to you

Comment

Well, a 400 grain arrow divided by 55# gives the guy shooting a 7.27 GPP (grains per pound) arrow.

My 42# bow shoots a 421 grain arrow which gives me a 10.02 GPP arrow. This is the lightest overall arrow weight I've ever shot from this bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X