Food plot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot questions

Thinking of planting some food plots in Blue ridge Texas where is the best place to find info on what would grow the best it's in a fairly fertile area close to lake
    Lake Lavon

I would imagine some of the bigger seed dealers would have a good idea like maybe Turner Seed. Your local NRCS office or Agrilife Extension Office could be a good start. It is always a good idea to send in soil samples as well. That would get you started on any lime or fertilizers you may need.

Comment

What are you wanting to do- spring/summer or fall/winter plots?

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        What are you wanting to do- spring/summer or fall/winter plots?
        Yes it is a small spot 20 acres but we had some nice deer come in I would like for them to have a reason to come more often.

Comment

Place is 20 or plot is 20? If plot, your idea of a small plot and mine are …. Different

Comment

I worked with my local feed store. They sent in my soil samples. Test results told me how much lime and fertilizer to start with. Then the feed store had seed recommendations that worked well for our area.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Place is 20 or plot is 20? If plot, your idea of a small plot and mine are …. Different
              The whole place is 20 acs. I thinking of about 3 different small plots maybe 100' x 40'

Comment

In that case, scratch spring plot off list. Nothing planted will make it if you have more than 2-3 deer

Fall plots, will be same proven varieties. Oats, wheat, some rye. Add a small amount of clover and turnips (optional on the turnips). That will give you food from October-late April/ early May

Comment

Working...
                X