No announcement yet.

Ever have a trailer jump off the ball??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happens a few times a year at work, customers tear up tailgates it’s funny. Had a few goose necks do it also, they forget to lock in the flip over ball type and pull it outa the bed.

Comment

My bass boat passed me up the day I paid it off. Felt something and went to look in my side mirror and trolling motor was right there at my window. Surprisingly no damage. Was lucky.

Comment

This probably should have been my first response, as it is a little crazier.

We left Tyler to go quail hunting in Vernon, pulling a small dog trailer with four pointers loaded (2 were his pride and joy, Rip and Sugar). I was 15 and had a hardship license, ****** that my granddad wouldn't let me drive. We were ~5 miles from town when the trailer came off the hitch and veered right into the ditch. When the tongue dug into the outside berm of the ditch, it catapulted the dog trailer into the air end over end, crashing through a BW fence and coming to rest upside down. My granddad lost it. I think that was the first time I saw him cry.

He was sobbing when we got turned around and back to the trailer. Like, ugly crying. I jumped out and could hear at least one dog whimpering, so I commenced to opening doors. To this day, I've never seen a human make the WTAF faces those dogs gave me.

All four of those dogs hunted the next morning, and I got to drive to the field.

Comment

Dang!!
          Pucker factor for sure-- never had one come off **knock on wood**.

Comment

I remember looking out the side window of the truck and saying, " look Dad, that guy has a horse trailer just like ours" as it passed us at about 60mph. It pulled itself over on the shoulder and stopped without incident. Lucky day.

Comment

Leaving church camp this last march. I let someone else hook up a box trailer to my truck.
              When we left I made it halfway between Medina and Bandera. The trailer bounced off the ball and I made a Lightning McQueen drag for 150yards before I could stop.
              I had blacktop all over the bed of my truck.
              Jacked it up and put in on the ball correctly. and pulled it home.

Comment

I had a boat trailer come off the ball as I crossed railroad tracks but it was due to my neglect. I failed to flip the latch on top of the hitch.

Comment

Yep pulling my old deer lease trailer to my dads in Louisiana late at night and went over a railroad track about 20 mph and it jumped off the ball and passed me up
                  I was like wtffff [emoji1787]
                  Thank goodness chains weren’t on or it would have tore truck up good
                  Really lucky it was late at night and no one was in the roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                    Not on the road, but if don't latch the coupler when you load your SxS it will jump off the ball and dent your tailgate....don't ask me how I know.....lol.
                    haha Ditto!

Comment

Have y'all noticed it is usually RR tracks that trigger it?

Comment

Once. Pulling a small smoker home after a Thanksgiving camping trip. Was about 10 miles from home and saw the smoker headed for the ditch. It hit something and flipped end over end and crashed tongue first into the muddy ditch. I drove home to get my brother and his 4x4 to help me get it out. Got back an hour later and somebody had stolen it already. Glad nobody got hurt and po'd about a thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                          Not on the road, but if don't latch the coupler when you load your SxS it will jump off the ball and dent your tailgate....don't ask me how I know.....lol.

I know…I was lucky it didn’t jump into my tailgate. I was able to slowly lower it back down with the SXS. Pucker factor was pretty high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled a deer blind built on a jet ski trailer 500 miles across Texas. When I got to the ranch I hooked it up to the Jeep to take it out into the pasture. Realized I'd gone 500 miles with a 2" hitch on a 1 5/8" ball. Felt lucky I made it.

Comment

my dad and i were pulling a trailer into comanche a long time ago, pulled up to a red light (maybe right after the railroad tracks!) in downtown and stopped, felt a little bump but thought it was the 4 wheeler moving a little. when the light turned green, he took off and the hitch slid out of the receiver and dumped the trailer on the ground. we thought someone hit us from behind....

somehow the cotter pin had been pulled loose, maybe while drivng through some brush/rocks, who knows, but we had some wire to to wire it up with and get us home.

Comment

Originally posted by JGadbury View Post
                                haha Ditto!
                                3rd.

Also was loading one of my trucks onto a gooseneck pipetop one night. it was dark and i made it to the top of the ramps with the front Tires and was trying to make sure it would fit. Well i noticed the trailer was kind of running away from me it seemed.

Put truck in Park with front tires sitting at the hing point. Got out too see BW ball dangling i had forgot to latch. It and tongue was up over my toolbox at that point. Luckily the chain box and safety chains kept it from going to far. The Chain box hit the bumper of my truck and stopped it. Had 2 small scratches in the tailgate. I blocked the trailer. Let my GF pull the truck up and we let it back down on the ball.

Watched my dad load a D4 onto a dual tandem for a buddy that just bought it and wasnt comfortable loading it. Same kind of thing about the time my dad made it to the hinge point the trailer shot up and separated the adjuster tube on the gooseneck. This was back before the started putting pins through them Just had a big set bolt and jam nut. I watched my dad back that dozer back down trailer and set the tongue right back down onto the tube still sitting upright on the ball. I wouldnt have believed it unless i was there to see it. trailer wasnt blocked or anything...

Comment

Working...
                                X