Anyone have a hip replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a hip replacement?

I have been diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the hip. Doctor says at the stage of this disease hip replacement is the only fix. I’m 41 years old and sure didn’t want to hear that. Just looking for some info on the surgery and recovery. I haven’t been under the knife before. I hear you feel like a brand new man with a new hip. As of right now I have been limping for 5 months and can’t really do all the things I love to do. I usually shoot multiple rounds at 3D shoots and walk long distances to my stands. I have shot one round of 3D and park the XUV way closer to the stands than I like. I’d sure like to put my sock and shoe on my right foot without excruciating pain just a little leary of surgery!

I have had both of mine replaced. I just had the last one 28th dec and was driving in three weeks. I am 74 and made it fine. Just do the pt and you will be fine.
    There were times when I couldn't walk without a cane. Don't need one now.
    You will have to watch your range of motion because if you over extend they can pop out and then have to have redone. You don't want that to happen

Most dr's want do both at one time. I went in at around 6am and they had me walking around 4pm . Went home the third morning. Should have the second one years ago. good luck
    Last edited by clay4626; 04-27-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

A friend of mine had both hips replaced around your age maybe 7-8 years ago. He's on the golf course several days a week and is a single digit handicap.

Comment

They told my 69yo buddy they'd see him again in about 10 years for a re-do.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          That’s my biggest issue. Because of my age I’m sure I’ll have to get it done again. I guess it’s better than severe arthritis when the joint collapses.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

My doc told me this one would be good for 30 years. My surgery is scheduled in June.

I know several people that have gone thru it and all are glad they did it. Two of them play quite a bit of golf which is something I do and am looking forward to doing it pain free.

Comment

Buddy of mine had it done the Monday after Thanksgiving and was back in the deer stand before Christmas. Said he felt so good had the other done in February, headed to Nicaragua tomorrow for a bird hunt. He is 60 said he hasn’t been this pain free in 20 years.

Comment

Hip is easiest recovery from what I have seen. I have had shoulder and knee replacement. And need another shoulder done. I got my knee replacement at 48, 59 now, still no issues on knee and I walk 3 miles a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck. I am 62 and know several friends with replacements - all successful.

Comment

My wife had labrum repair and resurfacing last week. Recovery is worse than full hip replacement which is what she wanted. Doc said hey you are only 47 and new hips might only last 15 years. Forced her to do this other surgery first. She said ok we are at max out of pocket now so if I’m not better by December I want a new hip before Dec 31!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                      That’s my biggest issue. Because of my age I’m sure I’ll have to get it done again. I guess it’s better than severe arthritis when the joint collapses.
                      Don't let this become an issue. Think about it, with advances in bio-medical technology happening faster and faster, each time you get a new hip, it'll be far more advanced than the previous. He**, by the time you're 100 you'll probably be doing back-handsprings!

Comment

I've had both hips replaced, first one at 53, second one at 56. I'm about to be 62. Had no problems with surgery or recovery, best advice I can offer is be a monster about rehab! Be faithful to your rehab exercise schedule and the results will be worth it. I was up the same day of surgery, home in 3 days. Modern pain management is excellent, I really had nothing I could call severe pain (the other hip surgeries I had in '73 and '83 were much different, pain-wise). I can actually tie my shoes and cross my legs to put on socks, hadn't been able to do that much of my life. Decided to go through with the first replacement when I couldn't walk 300 yards to a deer stand, funny how that works. My replacement hips are titanium and ceramic, doc said they should last a lifetime whereas previous generation appliances were 15-20 year service lives. Good luck, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Stu

Comment

In the last three years I’ve had three of my four corners rebuilt or replaced. Two shoulders one hip. Hip was done mid January. I’m back way better than I was 10 years ago. 10 days on walker but mostly for stability. A week or so with a cane. No rehab just walking as much as possible. I was driving myself (slightly lifted f250) in under two weeks. I’d highly recommend the hip. It’s been years since I was pain free. But I haven’t taken an aleve in two months. I’m 53.

Comment

Yup....AVN as well. My surgeon said I was the youngest he had ever done a total hip replacement on. Circa 2010.....still holding on. He said my other one would go out as well with the same problem. And it’s starting to feel “not so good”. I can feel the same thing coming on.

Comment

My first hip surgery was at 24 years old due to a car wreck. I dislocated the left hip and broke the top of the ball off the femur. They took me apart and resurfaced the ball and put me back together again. That was a six month recovery. I walked with a limp most days and was in pain quite often. The doctors would not do a replacement back then (1980) because at that time the shaft in the femur was glued in and they only had a life span of six years. I was just too young. They said go as long as you can and let medical technology catch up to you.
                              Well, 20 years later was as far as I could go. I was bone on bone and could no longer walk. So my hip was finally replaced in 2000. This was a three month recovery because the shaft into the femur was porous and the bone had to grow to the shaft so I couldn’t put any weight on it for six weeks and then only limited weight for several more.
                              The recover was a little tricky. No bending or sitting upright and various other restrictions but it wasn’t too bad.
                              The only real rough part for me was the first few days after surgery, I was in a lot of pain and that machine they had me on did not give me enough morphine. I got addicted to morphine a long time ago and have a very high tolerance to pain meds.
                              Anyways, here it is 21 years later and I’m still good. The first ten years were great. I was able to ride and work cattle again, rope and ride with my kids and wife. I was able to work out and lost weight, it was great to be back to normal again. Then after ten years it started bothering me a little bit so I backed off of the riding and just ground worked cattle. My back finally went south on me and my right hip has a lot of arthritis in it now and they’ve said I could have it replaced too but it’s not so bad that I can’t deal with it. If it gets bad enough I’ll not have a problem getting that one done too.
                              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X