Attached Files

Comment

Few more
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow Rocky, that’s awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Been a long time since we had a Fall garden. What y'all thinking on planting? We may try this. Don't really know much about Fall gardening, but gonna read up on it some. My mom n dad used to plant 'taters n squash and lots of turnip greens and mustard.

Anyone else have anything else they like growing in the Fall? When to plant??

We're planting broccoli, cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, collard greens, beets, carrots and butter crunch lettuce. Pulling the last of the peppers and tomatoes today and amending soil with compost and chicken manure. Will start seeds in mini greenhouse early september for everything except root crops.

Comment

Last of the Spring/Summer crops. Roma tomatoes, tobasco and banana peppers, okra and cacuzza squash. All plants pulled from beds this morning and will start amending soil in prep for fall garden.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                We're planting broccoli, cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, collard greens, beets, carrots and butter crunch lettuce. Pulling the last of the peppers and tomatoes today and amending soil with compost and chicken manure. Will start seeds in mini greenhouse early september for everything except root crops.

Thanks for the feedback... Doc said I need high fiber and this list looks like a great start to that and all things I love to eat!
                I plan to burn off the plot this evening if I get home in time and without rain. Will then begin to turn over the soil, add in all the chicken pen stuff we've been saving and water that all in real well if it doesn't rain...

Comment

Where do you folks get your plants/seeds for Fall gardens? Always used Wilhite for Spring garden... guess they'll have Fall stuff too for seeds, but what about squash and maybe broccoli n cauliflower plants?

Comment

I get all my seeds from MIGardener or Baker Creek. MIGardener has great selection for only $0.99 a pack with excellent quality and germination results. Baker Creek is where I go if MI doesnt carry it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wilhite. Started my tomato seedlings 3 weeks ago. Might not matter if we don’t get a rain. I keep seeds to everything else in the fridge. They last several years.

Comment

Last of the Spring/Summer crops. Roma tomatoes, tobasco and banana peppers, okra and cacuzza squash. All plants pulled from beds this morning and will start amending soil in prep for fall garden.
                        Fellow cacuzza grower. Have 4 plants this year and so far have only gotten 3. Remember growing up my grandma made me and my sisters peel and slice almost 30/day. I have never been able to get yields even close to hers

Comment

Still picking 8-10 quarts of okra a day. Nothing to do with them except stick em in freezer bags and freeze to use in soups and gumbos later. I’ve given so much away to my neighbors that they’ve quit talking to me��

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            Fellow cacuzza grower. Have 4 plants this year and so far have only gotten 3. Remember growing up my grandma made me and my sisters peel and slice almost 30/day. I have never been able to get yields even close to hers
                            Being from Italian origins my dad always grew tomatoes, figs and cacuzza every spring. I grew 3 cacuzza's and they did surprisingly well. This was my first year growing them and quickly figured out I need a larger trellis!

Comment

Never heard of cacuzza! Those are big suckers for sure. How do you prepare them? Are they like a normal squash?

Comment

Being from Italian origins my dad always grew tomatoes, figs and cacuzza every spring. I grew 3 cacuzza's and they did surprisingly well. This was my first year growing them and quickly figured out I need a larger trellis!
                                Yup...italians here as well. Those are the only 3 things my grandparents grew as well.
                                Cacuzza with stewed italian tomatoes, Figs soaked in sugar and tomatoes for sauce.

Comment

Working...
                                X