Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > It's All About the Video
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default 2019 spring turkey with a bow..

Posted this in the campfire with write-up but figured I'd add it here to take part in the bowhunting video section...


Rated PG-13 for breeding content.....





Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
jerp
Pope & Young
 
jerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default

Such a great video! It is common to see a decoy get attacked - usually a long beard on a jake - but I've never seen a gobbler actually mount a hen decoy. At least the last few seconds of his life were pleasurable!
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
twdjr
Ten Point
 
twdjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Willis, TX
Default

Congrats Jason!
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Thanks Jerp and Ted!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #5
DRettele
Ten Point
 
DRettele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Marcos
Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8
Default

Are you sure about the PG-13 rating???
Hell I had wood at the first gobble. But that's just me.
Awesome bird and incredible video Jason!!
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Mertz09
Ten Point
 
Mertz09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Schleicher Co.
Default

Great job!
Mertz09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Mertz09
Ten Point
 
Mertz09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Schleicher Co.
Default

Great job Smart.

I have a couple of questions...

I hunt SW of San Angelo in Schleicher Co. and have for years. Our turkey population was hit very hard from the drought years and it has been a slow recovery. Just not seeing many birds like we used to 8-10 years ago. How are the turkeys doing up where you hunt?

And I just bought a gopro and was wondering how well the do for turkey hunts? There isn't much of a zoom function so just wondering.
Mertz09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertz09 View Post
Great job Smart.

I have a couple of questions...

I hunt SW of San Angelo in Schleicher Co. and have for years. Our turkey population was hit very hard from the drought years and it has been a slow recovery. Just not seeing many birds like we used to 8-10 years ago. How are the turkeys doing up where you hunt?

And I just bought a gopro and was wondering how well the do for turkey hunts? There isn't much of a zoom function so just wondering.



Our turkey population recovered well and exploded the last 3-4 years. This year was really weird though. I'm not sure if it was all the available fresh green growth or the other available foods but we did not have the big group of turkeys on camera this spring we usually have. Had a ton of hens all during deer season and that usually brings the Toms in from all over. We run corn feeders during the spring to keep the hens on the place for that very reason. But we just didn't have the birds we are used to having and the ones we did have acted weird from day one. We got a few to do what I wanted but as a whole the general consensus was we were hearing birds but they wanted nothing to do with calls or decoys. Because of the cold temps, we wrote the first two weekends off to them not having started yet real good but two weeks later it was still weak.



As for the action cameras...I don't use them for main filming because of the lack of zoom. They makes 10 yards shots look like 30. I use them for reverse angle footage only. I wouldn't want them as my main video camera.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertz09 View Post
Great job Smart.

I have a couple of questions...

I hunt SW of San Angelo in Schleicher Co. and have for years. Our turkey population was hit very hard from the drought years and it has been a slow recovery. Just not seeing many birds like we used to 8-10 years ago. How are the turkeys doing up where you hunt?

And I just bought a gopro and was wondering how well the do for turkey hunts? There isn't much of a zoom function so just wondering.
I use gopros for turkey hunts, but I have learned not to depend on them anymore. I forgot my Sony two weeks ago, and failed to get any footage of a beheading on that Sunday, despite my Gopro remote indicating that the cameras were recording. As Smart said above, don't count on Gopros as your primary camera.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
MVD
Four Point
 
MVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Nice!
MVD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
Mertz09
Ten Point
 
Mertz09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Schleicher Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Our turkey population recovered well and exploded the last 3-4 years. This year was really weird though. I'm not sure if it was all the available fresh green growth or the other available foods but we did not have the big group of turkeys on camera this spring we usually have. Had a ton of hens all during deer season and that usually brings the Toms in from all over. We run corn feeders during the spring to keep the hens on the place for that very reason. But we just didn't have the birds we are used to having and the ones we did have acted weird from day one. We got a few to do what I wanted but as a whole the general consensus was we were hearing birds but they wanted nothing to do with calls or decoys. Because of the cold temps, we wrote the first two weekends off to them not having started yet real good but two weeks later it was still weak.



As for the action cameras...I don't use them for main filming because of the lack of zoom. They makes 10 yards shots look like 30. I use them for reverse angle footage only. I wouldn't want them as my main video camera.
Thanks!

I guide spring turkey hunts on 2 private ranches just south of George West. Because of great management the turkey population is great. We have not had a good hatch in several years so now we are hunting 3-4-5 year old birds.
Last week we had to change strategy and tactics and abandoned the decoys and only called very little. We hunted water, food source and travel corridors and did well. Seven for seven hunters.

My lease in Schleicher Co is a different story....slow recover.
Mertz09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Mertz09
Ten Point
 
Mertz09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Schleicher Co.
Default last week

George West last week.
Attached Images
 
Mertz09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
boh347
Pope & Young
 
boh347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Knickerbocker, Texas
Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx
Default

Sweet nice job smart!
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Invisible Man
Four Point
 
Invisible Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SoCal
Default

Outstanding Bro!!! And great footage!!!
Invisible Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #15
robbyayala
Ten Point
 
robbyayala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cotulla
Hunt In: LaSalle County, Colorado, Manitoba
Default

Great video! Great shot!
robbyayala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #16
Bone Thug
Pope & Young
 
Bone Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: Irion County
Default

About that time, again. This one is fun to watch all year around. Lol

Heck of a video!! Nicely done, Jason.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #17
Acameron52
Pope & Young
 
Acameron52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lewisville
Hunt In: Coleman & Loving
Default

That’s how id want to go I reckon!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
About that time, again. This one is fun to watch all year around. Lol

Heck of a video!! Nicely done, Jason.

Thanks Brandon! I wish I was out there today. **** virus and rain!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
That’s how id want to go I reckon!

Yes sir. I should have let him have his cigarette before I shot him..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
such a great video! It is common to see a decoy get attacked - usually a long beard on a jake - but i've never seen a gobbler actually mount a hen decoy. At least the last few seconds of his life were frustrating:d
fify
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #20
Jesg1224
Four Point
 
Jesg1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Montana & Texas
Default

Awesome vid! Awesome shot!!!
Jesg1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #21
arrowsonly88
Ten Point
 
arrowsonly88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Leander Texas
Hunt In: Coke county, Concho county, Bastrop county.
Default

Cool vid! That joker got smoked after he got stood up! Haha good shootin


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arrowsonly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #22
sp-bow
Eight Point
 
sp-bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Magnolia, TX
Hunt In: SHNF, MI
Default

Great video Smart, congrats on the bird.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #23
NYBowman
Eight Point
 
NYBowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hutto
Hunt In: Buda
Default

Great shot and great video. If I missed it I apologize, I saw you said your camera is a Sony, but I was wondering what model? I'm looking to get a new camera. TIA
NYBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default 2019 spring turkey with a bow..

My old camera was a Sony. My recent one is a Panasonic HC-V100 HD. I might be upgrading to another Panasonic soon . Love this cameras results but might upgrade to a more expensive model .

And thanks .




Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #25
NYBowman
Eight Point
 
NYBowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hutto
Hunt In: Buda
Default

Thanks for the info
NYBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com