Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #101
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default What's your side hustle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
You make some good points throughout the thread.. what is your full time gig?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by drop dead fred; 03-14-2019 at 11:24 AM.
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #102
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
I guess its unfortunate that as older generation guy, I ain't got the paper to give me that high paying job, that lets me not have to need a side hustle. like some of the younger ones that had the opportunity handed to them... nothing wrong with making an honest living, even if it means you need 2, or even 3 side gigs...

I have a highschool diploma i found a career that has good pay, great benefits, and retirement. I get it not everyone finds that, but for a young buck reading this thread it may help them be patient and diligent about what career path they take so theyíre not working till the day they day, and never get to enjoy the roses in life because theyíre side hustling their life away.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #103
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
I guess its unfortunate that as older generation guy, I ain't got the paper to give me that high paying job, that lets me not have to need a side hustle. like some of the younger ones that had the opportunity handed to them... nothing wrong with making an honest living, even if it means you need 2, or even 3 side gigs...
Yep. And while them poor salary guys are sitting in a tree working on their phones, us poor shop trash are at work on Saturday wishing we could have a 2 day weekend.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #104
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
Obviously youíre not a cop.

I do security gigs and taxidermy work for side cash.

Another reason i choose a different career path... didnít want to get a job knowing Iíd need another to survive

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #105
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Short active term stock trading is my side gig and have been pretty happy so far.
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #106
Palehorse
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

I'm a slum lord (I manage my rental properties).
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #107
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Another reason i choose a different career path... didnít want to get a job knowing Iíd need another to survive

I can survive on my salary, itís what I do extra to get ahead, hunt, buy guns, etc.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #108
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
I can survive on my salary, itís what I do extra to get ahead, hunt, buy guns, etc.

Ok sorry shouldíve worded ďto do what i likeĒ

Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #109
staplehawk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mullen, Lockhart, Hays and Circle Dug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertzon Man View Post
X2
keeping busy from 'other things' can be a lot of things. I can tell you the most joy I found in keeping busy is fixing broken houses and flipping them. I used to destroy for fun, now I fix and it can be decent $. You don't have to have money to make money, just a drive.
staplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #110
cactusassjohn
Four Point

Hunt In: nebraska/texas/south dakota

HVAC/home repair on the the side. have a good job w-insurance and retirement. pays for my hunting and fishing gear and trips.
cactusassjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #111
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

I make custom bow strings. Not many customers, as it is mostly just friends and family that buy them. But it is fun and I enjoy looking at the end product.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #112
coach51
Four Point

Safety Director for an Electric company in the oilfield.
coach51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #113
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Yep. And while them poor salary guys are sitting in a tree working on their phones, us poor shop trash are at work on Saturday wishing we could have a 2 day weekend.
so very true, so very true... but we do what we gotta do, with out crying, like a snowflake
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #114
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
Same ^^^^

I have 2 regular off duty jobs I work doing security at a bank and at Walmart in the hood, then a few youth association games and some other stuff here and there. Made $22K last year in side hustle money.
My father's side hustle/hobby was raising cattle and horses. He was a LEO for 32 years. I don't think he ever made any money off of the cattle and horses.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #115
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Unpopular opinion but maybe get a career that doesnít require a side hustle?

Ainít no way Iím gonna bust my tail at one place to only have to do it again for another person.

I see your point but maybe its something folks actually enjoy doing on the side, nothing wrong with making money at it too.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #116
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
I can survive on my salary, it’s what I do extra to get ahead, hunt, buy guns, etc.
This is me. I work a second job because I like it, it's easy, and it pays mine and my wife's truck payments, and allows a little extra saving for a rainy day. It's a no brainer to me.

It's not really work if you enjoy it. Not to mention we don't have kids in the house, and have a lot of wasted time to get lazy and do nothing. Would rather have something to pass the time and get paid for it.

Last edited by captainsling; 03-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #117
Pablo Honey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: <---<<<CM>>>--->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I work the glory hole at Loveís Truck stop #69.

Can I pick up a shift?
Ladies room....I HOPE!
Pablo Honey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #118
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
so very true, so very true... but we do what we gotta do, with out crying, like a snowflake
You're in the right building for snowflakes.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #119
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
You're in the right building for snowflakes.
Yes Sir.. so very true
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #120
breederbuck33
Ten Point

You can't loose if you side hustle is a hobby. Getting paid to do something you are going to do regardless isn't a bad deal.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #121
TX_H-F
Eight Point

Hunt In: all over tx,mostly milam co

This was a great thread. I dont have a side hussle but wouldnt mind one. I do get ot but not always an option. With my long commute though making money after work would be rough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
TX_H-F is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #122
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
I have a highschool diploma i found a career that has good pay, great benefits, and retirement. I get it not everyone finds that, but for a young buck reading this thread it may help them be patient and diligent about what career path they take so theyíre not working till the day they day, and never get to enjoy the roses in life because theyíre side hustling their life away.

Quote:
ups

How much OT do you work in a normal week?
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #123
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
How much OT do you work in a normal week?

Avg 4-10 depending on how mad Iím at it

Old 03-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #124
SinglePin
Spike

Hunt In: Texas

Real estate from time to time
SinglePin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #125
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Avg 4-10 depending on how mad Iím at it

I have a great job with great pay and benefits as well. I go on call 1 week per month and average 20 hrs OT the week I'm on call but very little OT the other 3 weeks.
My wife is a stay at home mom and we live comfortably off of my normal pay but I choose to run a seasonal side business. The business is ran out of my shop and my family usually helps me. It doesn't cut into any family time and it allows us to do more financially like having a deer lease, paying of vehicles and our house early, etc.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #126
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County
Default Main hustle pays the bills.

No side hustle for me, just my main hustle.... for extra $$ I Wait for the plant to schedule a turnaround then work 12 hours a day for 20 to 50 days straight. Other than picking up a day here and there when someone is on vacation or out sick, give me my time off. I like to spend time with my kids and wife seeing my boys play sports and going hunting fishing and camping instead of working ALL the time. I'm not completely against the idea, if I find the right side hustle for me I will pursue it. My schedule definitely would allow it. Plant operator working the 12 hour dupont shift.
4 nights, 3 off, 3 days 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off,
4 days, 7OFF.

My wife on the other hand, her main hustle is working as a paralegal. But her side hustle is starting to be very helpful for us. She makes custom shirts, hats, koozies ect... She has a heat transfer vinyl cutter and press that started out as a hobby, but turned into a small business.
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #127
TA_Fab
Four Point

Default What's your side hustle?

Welding, but havenít had much time lately due to my main job. More of a hobby building stuff for myself then folks start asking hey can build this or I want one of those.

Last edited by TA_Fab; 03-14-2019 at 02:40 PM.
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #128
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
I have a great job with great pay and benefits as well. I go on call 1 week per month and average 20 hrs OT the week I'm on call but very little OT the other 3 weeks.
My wife is a stay at home mom and we live comfortably off of my normal pay but I choose to run a seasonal side business. The business is ran out of my shop and my family usually helps me. It doesn't cut into any family time and it allows us to do more financially like having a deer lease, paying of vehicles and our house early, etc.

Iím not bashing side hustle Iím simply stating there are plenty of careers out there that offer more than enough compensation to live a healthy lifestyle without REQUIRING a side job. Wanting an requiring are two different things. Iím simply stating if you take a job that REQUIRES you to get a second job to do anything outside of just pay your necessity bills Iíd recommend to any young person starting out be diligent and patient there are plenty of good jobs that will allow you to do everything you want and only require you to work for them, and donít require a college education. Thatís ALL Iím trying to say i know thereís plenty of variables in life

Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #129
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ozona

I DJ & run Karaoke several times a year. I don't advertise, but have been doing it long enough that I get about 10-12 jobs a year.

I also like to buy & sell stuff, not much profit, but I enjoy it.
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #130
bowtechbandit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

I have cattle, and a small lawn care gig. I focused on a few large commercial accounts with yearly contracts and pay a guy to mow them for me. I still mow some when I have time. I enjoy the cattle, and do it because I love it. the mowing has almost turned into mailbox money. works out pretty good. my wife and I work full time and have two kids, and yes we could live comfortably on our salaries.
bowtechbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #131
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I would like to get involved in investing in a mobile home park and/or self storage. Takes some capital but would be some good mailbox money.

If we're talking manual labor, i'd consider small engine repair (can work from home), residential deck building (very few tools or formal training needed), bounce house/party rentals...
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #132
Trevor73402
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2O_therapy View Post
No side hustle for me, just my main hustle.... for extra $$ I Wait for the plant to schedule a turnaround then work 12 hours a day for 20 to 50 days straight. Other than picking up a day here and there when someone is on vacation or out sick, give me my time off. I like to spend time with my kids and wife seeing my boys play sports and going hunting fishing and camping instead of working ALL the time. I'm not completely against the idea, if I find the right side hustle for me I will pursue it. My schedule definitely would allow it. Plant operator working the 12 hour dupont shift.
4 nights, 3 off, 3 days 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off,
4 days, 7OFF.
We have the same schedule. Board operator for large petroleum company. Our turnarounds are usually 60+ days though of 7 12ís. I always try to get on nights. Iím the same way as you, Iíll work some overtime If they force me to, but otherwise give me my time off and leave me the hell alone. I work with guys that have to have all the overtime they can get just to survive. I feel sorry for them. They practically live at work. Pretty much all of them have wives that donít work.......
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #133
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

Quote:
Iím not bashing side hustle Iím simply stating there are plenty of careers out there that offer more than enough compensation to live a healthy lifestyle without REQUIRING a side job. Wanting an requiring are two different things. Iím simply stating if you take a job that REQUIRES you to get a second job to do anything outside of just pay your necessity bills Iíd recommend to any young person starting out be diligent and patient there are plenty of good jobs that will allow you to do everything you want and only require you to work for them, and donít require a college education. Thatís ALL Iím trying to say i know thereís plenty of variables in life

I dont think anyone has thought you were bashing them, as that thought hasn't crossed my mind. There are lots of variables/wants/needs/desires by each individual person. I know I appreciate your input

hully1029 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #134
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
I dont think anyone has thought you were bashing them, as that thought hasn't crossed my mind. There are lots of variables/wants/needs/desires by each individual person. I know I appreciate your input

Ok good i was just wanting to make sure no one thought i was

Old 03-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #135
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Well you, sir, have amazingly soft hands.
You didn't!!!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #136
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

My side hustle is a fishing guide business on Buchanan. I have a young kid that now runs the majority of trips. Do I need it no. Do I like the write-offs and extra cash heck yeah. Usually make around 8-10K. Not much but not bad. Better than my boat sitting idle in storage.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #137
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Quote:

I didnt think you were bashing and I agree with you.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #138
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

I fly guide in Colorado and New Mexico on the side.

Unfortunately, I've never been hired and don't plan to be. But the tax write-offs are great.

I sell stuff on eBay.
yaqui is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #139
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Primary, fulltime job is an ER nurse where I work 3 days/week. My side job where I work 2 days/week (from home) is as a Nurse Paralegal. It pays for hunting and extra stuff and keeps me from getting bored/annoying the hubby being at home 4 days/week (he works from home FT).
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #140
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I wouldnít say that I do anything extra, but I do like to invest. My money works for me...
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #141
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I work the glory hole at Loveís Truck stop #69.

Extra thin partitions between stalls?
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #142
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Here lately I've been inspecting proper fitment of yoga pants and blue jeans on the xx chromosome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Or the XXL
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #143
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
My side hustle is also my job. Iím in sales so a 70hr week is nothing. No time for a side hustle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
35 hrs working and the other 35 on the golf course doesnít count as 70 hrs
I was gonna say the same thing. If youíre in sales and youíre working 70 hours a week, youíre the hardest working salesman Iíve ever met. Unless youíre sellin cars....but that really isnít sales, itís order taking.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #144
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

The things I do on the side I enjoy, I just happen to have decided to get paid to do it to an extent. There's nothing wrong with making money off of a hobby, or picking how much you want to work at something for emergency money, throw away cash or whatever.
krisw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #145
Stetsonoverton
Spike

Hunt In: Menard

I donít have a side hustle but always looking, my wife does professional photography and itís been a blessing for us, kinda feel bad when her side hustle is more profitable than my m-f
Stetsonoverton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #146
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2O_therapy View Post
No side hustle for me, just my main hustle.... for extra $$ I Wait for the plant to schedule a turnaround then work 12 hours a day for 20 to 50 days straight .

I forgot about that.
Iím starting one on Monday, should be decent OT for a couple of months.

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #147
steve morton
Ten Point

Default Feeding the world

Attachment 950000
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #148
steve morton
Ten Point

Default Feeding the world

Name:  20170913_185658.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  92.2 KB
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #149
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Also with my side gig I am helping a good kid get through med school. He works hard and during the summer and spring breaks and weekends he makes around 10-12k including tips. That makes me feel good as well
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #150
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I had a high school education ( barely ) had i not worked two jobs for a few years i would never have been able to start my own business, I always wanted some of the finer things in life, boats, ranches, lake homes, mountain homes, once in a lifetime hunting trips, etc., I could not have acquired those things working a 9-5 with some occasional overtime. As long as you are happy it really does not matter how much you work or how much you make, just enjoy life. But if you do not have a high paying job and you want those things it is going to take a lot of work, or you could just marry money, its a lot easier that way, so I am told.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top