Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #151
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Huntless

My son’s team has their first tournament this weekend. We will see if the rain is going to hold off but it is going to be cold
aggie2000tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #152
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
My sonís team has their first tournament this weekend. We will see if the rain is going to hold off but it is going to be cold
Weather is ridiculous.

Have an idea on where yall are playing?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #153
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
My sonís team has their first tournament this weekend. We will see if the rain is going to hold off but it is going to be cold
Man I just checked the weather, cold and windy again, awesome
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #154
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Weather is ridiculous.

Have an idea on where yall are playing?
They are playing ina Triple Crown sports tournament called the Texas Season Opener. They have not posted schedule yet but when I looked last week it had his age bracket either in Plano, Frisco or Allen
Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #155
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
They are playing ina Triple Crown sports tournament called the Texas Season Opener. They have not posted schedule yet but when I looked last week it had his age bracket either in Plano, Frisco or Allen
I figured that was the one - we are in that as well.

J, are yall playing in this one too?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #156
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
I figured that was the one - we are in that as well.

J, are yall playing in this one too?
Yes, our ages show to be at Bacchus Park or Enfield I believe.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #157
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Those are two fields they show for us as well
Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #158
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

They at least have the teams broke up into divisions now so you can look and see who you might play. My son’s team is 10s Division 2 and there are some salty teams in our division

Click on teams then
Scroll down to find age group

https://admin.tourneymachine.com/Pub...7e4b1695c5cb4f

Last edited by aggie2000tx; 02-26-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #159
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
I kinda know the other Dodgers' squad is playing early Saturday at Bacchus.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #160
Chase This!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 74-72

sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Chase This!; 02-26-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Chase This! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #161
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

We are at Enfield Park at 11:30 and 3
Old 02-26-2019, 11:58 PM   #162
jer_james
Pope & Young

We are in Plano at 2 and 6. Odd times, lol.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #163
jshouse
Pope & Young

Brock is in Frisco at 2 and 4, Logan is In Carrollton at 3 and 430. Not sure which one I will be at yet

Really hoping the front keeps getting pushed back, Sunday could really suck.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #164
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Brock is in Frisco at 2 and 4, Logan is In Carrollton at 3 and 430. Not sure which one I will be at yet

Really hoping the front keeps getting pushed back, Sunday could really suck.
Sunday looks horrible, and with this many teams
Old 02-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #165
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

We got another 25 team/multipark tourney... if weather holds..
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #166
js4242
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co

A little PSA for all the Parents out there - we had to shut my son down for at least 1.5 months or possibly this year due to G.I.R.D - Glenohumeral internal rotation deficit (GIRD) is an adaptive process in which the throwing shoulder experiences a loss of internal rotation (IR). GIRD has most commonly been defined by a loss of >20į of IR compared to the contralateral shoulder. My son is at >35%. If your son is a pitcher or throws a lot be on the look out. According to the two orthos we saw, it can be pretty common for boys right around or in puberty. Throwing harder, growing, over use and not taking precautions are all factors plus others. I think double duty of fall ball (first time we did it) and QB last fall was the culprit but no one really knows for sure. There was never an acute moment when he noticed. Just complained his arm was hurting after throwing. I finally listened after his last outing when he told me he knew his velocity was way off. He's now in PT 5 days a week at home with another office visit next week. The hope is he is progressing with range of motion/strength and could possibly start a throwing program to strengthen it in a coupe weeks. If he has to sit this whole year out he will. Best case he is back at the end of March. The good news is we caught it early before any real damage happened. Both docs said they same thing, "we don't care about Tommy John surgery. Guys come back stronger after having it. We really don't have good surgeries for this if it gets too advanced." Instead of doing rehab like us, I would strongly recommend "prehabing." Make sure your little guys are taking care of themselves and good luck this season.
js4242 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #167
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4242 View Post
A little PSA for all the Parents out there - we had to shut my son down for at least 1.5 months or possibly this year due to G.I.R.D - Glenohumeral internal rotation deficit (GIRD) is an adaptive process in which the throwing shoulder experiences a loss of internal rotation (IR). GIRD has most commonly been defined by a loss of >20į of IR compared to the contralateral shoulder. My son is at >35%. If your son is a pitcher or throws a lot be on the look out. According to the two orthos we saw, it can be pretty common for boys right around or in puberty. Throwing harder, growing, over use and not taking precautions are all factors plus others. I think double duty of fall ball (first time we did it) and QB last fall was the culprit but no one really knows for sure. There was never an acute moment when he noticed. Just complained his arm was hurting after throwing. I finally listened after his last outing when he told me he knew his velocity was way off. He's now in PT 5 days a week at home with another office visit next week. The hope is he is progressing with range of motion/strength and could possibly start a throwing program to strengthen it in a coupe weeks. If he has to sit this whole year out he will. Best case he is back at the end of March. The good news is we caught it early before any real damage happened. Both docs said they same thing, "we don't care about Tommy John surgery. Guys come back stronger after having it. We really don't have good surgeries for this if it gets too advanced." Instead of doing rehab like us, I would strongly recommend "prehabing." Make sure your little guys are taking care of themselves and good luck this season.
Understand completely.. glad to hear hes progressing and it wasnt worse.
..Tan throws his first ball in 6 weeks tonight...and it will be short and slow.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #168
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4242 View Post
Thanks and good luck to you guys
Old 02-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #169
jer_james
Pope & Young

This weather looks miserable
Old 02-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #170
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
This weather looks miserable
Yep getting worse lol
Old 03-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #171
jshouse
Pope & Young

We just got our ***** handed to us. Worst game I can remember sitting through. Pitchers struggled to throw strikes is an understatement.

Hope game 2 is better.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #172
systemnt
Pope & Young

Good luck guys!!!

We Went 2-0 in a wet tacky early morning mist..
First team we shoulda smoked out of the gate..but the boys decided to sleep in and let them get up 5-3.. then the opposing coach did the old top of the inning letting one kid warm up as pitcher then change him eattheclock move...
Few of the kids picked up on our disgust with it and rallied the boys who went and destroyed 3 of their pitchers for the rest of the clock..
Second game the boys beat a VERY good team of much bigger kids.. made a couple question their choices of wanting to play infield...
Hope the keep it up tomorrow...
Waiting on bracket position now. Sitting 3rd right now.. (2pm start tomorrow...that would be nice)

Tan got to catch to fiinsh the second game and was phenomenal..even if i didnt let him throw down to 2nd (not happy with me)..
"His" pitchers (thats what he calls them) obviously missed him because their velo all went up with him back there..

His bat still sucks... crushing it in cage... frustrating as it is for us watching...its starting to eat at him..
Thinking of telling him when he thinks a pitch is a ball to step in front of it...that way they will all become strikes and youll swing at it...
Probably wont..but running out of pep talks..

Not sure what this weathers gonna do..

Last edited by systemnt; 03-02-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #173
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well my son’s team went 2-0 today. They are in the platinum bracket but got the 8am game. Kinda screwy how they did the bracket in my opinion.

My son pitched today just one inning and threw 11 pitches. 7 strikes and 4 balls. He was in the zone today.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #174
systemnt
Pope & Young

5seed championship bracket...gets the 8am game...against the team we played at 10pm last week...who got 12th seed..
(25 team tourney)...

Ugh.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #175
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default 2019 Select Baseball

I'm ready for baseball, but I don't envy you guys today, and I **** sure won't in the morning when I roll out and pour my coffee about 9.

Good luck to your boys, no use being miserable, AND losing. Gonna be a mental game tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #176
systemnt
Pope & Young

High of mid 50's ..rainy...cloudy....
Our boys thrive in it..mostly because thats all weve seen so far lol..
Heaters, jackets, and blankets loaded..
Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #177
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

That looks a lot better than the forecast up here. 40 for the high and soggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #178
jshouse
Pope & Young

Our 8s were down 15-2 to a good team from Louisiana and fought back and won the **** thing 16-15 lol. Those boys played 2 basketball games at 11 and 1 and then the baseball game at 3. We have all long ran out of words to describe this group of boys.

They won the 2nd game 19-4 and play at 12 tomorrow if it doesn't get called.

My 11u had his hide tanned again in his 2nd game, it was ugly day of baseball for this group. Our pitchers couldn't throw a strike and it made it a tough day on the catchers.

They are scheduled to play 10a tomorrow, but I don't think we will end up playing.... a topic for a different day.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:43 AM   #179
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Our 8s were down 15-2 to a good team from Louisiana and fought back and won the **** thing 16-15 lol. Those boys played 2 basketball games at 11 and 1 and then the baseball game at 3. We have all long ran out of words to describe this group of boys.

They won the 2nd game 19-4 and play at 12 tomorrow if it doesn't get called.

My 11u had his hide tanned again in his 2nd game, it was ugly day of baseball for this group. Our pitchers couldn't throw a strike and it made it a tough day on the catchers.

They are scheduled to play 10a tomorrow, but I don't think we will end up playing.... a topic for a different day.
What happened? Was it a weather thing?

We won both games - 6 seed in platinum bracket. Playing at noon against a very good team. Pitching was okay. Defense was great and the bats had some decent hits, but the balls and baserunning is what separated us today. We threw strikes, the other teams didn’t.

Weather was effing miserable.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #180
systemnt
Pope & Young

Good luck today guys...about to go wake the kiddo to dress out and head to park...
Old 03-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #181
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Well we are delayed until 10am now. Will get another update at 8am according to tournament director
Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #182
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

We played a HS tourney in Brenham Thur-Sat. Glad it was over yesterday. Just walked outside to perfect coffee and stay indoors day. Worried about kid yesterday as he lands so hard on front foot it was cutting out on him. Worried about hammy pull the entire time. He went 5 scoreless gave up 2 hits against Coppell. Looking forward to 70-80 degree weekends
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #183
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
What happened? Was it a weather thing?

We won both games - 6 seed in platinum bracket. Playing at noon against a very good team. Pitching was okay. Defense was great and the bats had some decent hits, but the balls and baserunning is what separated us today. We threw strikes, the other teams didn’t.

Weather was effing miserable.
Yeah looks like we were1 of 4-5 teams that decided to pull out last night. I didn't think we would play anyway and just got the alert that all games were canceled.

Congrats to you guys, good first tournament for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Good luck today guys...about to go wake the kiddo to dress out and head to park...
Good luck to you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
We played a HS tourney in Brenham Thur-Sat. Glad it was over yesterday. Just walked outside to perfect coffee and stay indoors day. Worried about kid yesterday as he lands so hard on front foot it was cutting out on him. Worried about hammy pull the entire time. He went 5 scoreless gave up 2 hits against Coppell. Looking forward to 70-80 degree weekends
Sounds like he's already in a groove man, hope he keeps it up.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #184
glen
Pope & Young

Yea. Proud of him. He is working hard in weight room and focused. I think he had thrown 4 times now and given up 1 earned run. They are gonna make a run I think. Have beat mostly 6a teams. Tied to Lamar Friday. They are 10-0-1. Only bad thing is they will walk through District and they may get soft doing it
Old 03-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #185
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yea. Proud of him. He is working hard in weight room and focused. I think he had thrown 4 times now and given up 1 earned run. They are gonna make a run I think. Have beat mostly 6a teams. Tied to Lamar Friday. They are 10-0-1. Only bad thing is they will walk through District and they may get soft doing it
Thatís awesome! Enjoy it!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #186
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've always heard that with Rockwall and Rockwall-Heath, their district is pretty soft and doesn't test them before the playoffs.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #187
glen
Pope & Young

Play Rockwall-Heath last week
Old 03-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #188
systemnt
Pope & Young

Boys wouldnt give up all day.... took us all the way to the championship game and got beat by an utrip AAA team playing a nations select tournament.. and still took a run at them
13+ hours at a cold wet..then colder ball park...
We must really love this ****...or them... or just be nuts..
Old 03-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #189
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Boys wouldnt give up all day.... took us all the way to the championship game and got beat by an utrip AAA team playing a nations select tournament.. and still took a run at them
Sounds like a great day of ball to me......minus the temps!

Both of my boys won 1 and lost 1 today, but the teams played SOO much better than they did 2 weeks ago so that's a plus! Weather was brutal, but both my boys catch so I'd think they prefer this to the summer heat. Congrats to all the success over the weekend and good luck on the next one!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #190
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you guys Backyard Ballers Black, out of Montgomery? I saw them on the list of 9u teams coming to Dallas for the Super NIT on 3/24...
Old 03-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #191
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you guys Backyard Ballers Black, out of Montgomery? I saw them on the list of 9u teams coming to Dallas for the Super NIT on 3/24...
Tan was on that team last year..
we stayed down on Red so he could be starting catcher when black went to majors.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #192
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Tan was on that team last year..
we stayed down on Red so he could be starting catcher when black went to majors.
how was his arm? we had one on our 11s that couldnt throw for 6 weeks, he was cleared to throw last week but not to pitch yet. we had a practice and 2 games and he said everything felt fine.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #193
jer_james
Pope & Young

Have a good friend who's Son played in a Championship down in Mesquite last night.

27 degrees and dropped throughout the game due to wind chill. I can tell you, that game wasn't good baseball. Heck, our games Saturday weren't really good baseball.

I'd say more nuts than anything at this point. Sometimes I just dont know about this stuff.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #194
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
how was his arm? we had one on our 11s that couldnt throw for 6 weeks, he was cleared to throw last week but not to pitch yet. we had a practice and 2 games and he said everything felt fine.
Just caught a few innings to show his backup that it was his spot and hed be back for it permanently shortly..
Didnt let him throw down anyone...
But his arm is strong..we do a way modified warmup now...which i think is better...use bands and im monitoring his mechanics like a hawk...
Were off for next 3 weeks i think with just practices scheduled... so we got lots of time to workup to throwing down to 2 or 3.
No hurry..
Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #195
jshouse
Pope & Young

we are scheduled off till the 23rd, after he way they played this weekend i would kind of like to see us on the field before that NIT, even if its a scrimmage.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #196
jer_james
Pope & Young

We are headed to Houston this weekend. I aint goin down there, lol. Going to use volleyball as an excuse to stay home.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #197
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Quote:
27 degrees and dropped throughout the game due to wind chill. I can tell you, that game wasn't good baseball. Heck, our games Saturday weren't really good baseball.
Good baseball, in the field and at the plate, goes with being loose.

Not much is loose when it's 27 deg!

I hope we see better weather ahead soon.
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #198
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
We are headed to Houston this weekend. I aint goin down there, lol. Going to use volleyball as an excuse to stay home.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #199
jshouse
Pope & Young

And speaking of crazy, I worked a swim meet Sunday since baseball was canceled band to help pay for baseball lol. not only are the parents and coaches crazy, but those kids practice every day but Sunday and the elite level ones, even elementary school ones, practice twice a day for 3-4 days a week.

I couldn't help but watch and think how good that would actually be for a baseball players shoulders

Best part is the coaches/parents yelling instructions (mainly just kick kick kick or go go go) every time their kid lifts their head to take a breath.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #200
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

So how do the bats hold up in cold temps? I thought it wasn't recommended to use composite or thin wall aluminum in temps below 50. Cracks and dents...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top