Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #101
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Any of you guys going to Gulf Shores shoot me a PM. I have a friend with a condo on the beach and it's very nice. They rent it out for the World Series every year.
PM sent
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #102
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Any of you guys going to Gulf Shores shoot me a PM. I have a friend with a condo on the beach and it's very nice. They rent it out for the World Series every year.
****.. couple weeks late..
Wife already hooked up the condo we had last year ..
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #103
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
same here.. we booked one a couple of weeks ago.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #104
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Well we played our first tournament this weekend and the boys started off great. We won the first game 15-1 and the second game 10-0 the bats are alive as of right now, so hope it keeps going through the weekend.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #105
systemnt
Pope & Young

Good job! Keep the machine rollin!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #106
jshouse
Pope & Young

Talking

Quote:
Well we played our first tournament this weekend and the boys started off great. We won the first game 15-1 and the second game 10-0 the bats are alive as of right now, so hope it keeps going through the weekend.

We have a scrimmage against the Eagles tomorrow, it'll be cold and windy, perfect baseball weather
Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #107
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post

We have a scrimmage against the Eagles tomorrow, it'll be cold and windy, perfect baseball weather
Yep nothing like February baseball LOL! Good luck tomorrow get the work in and fix the little things.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #108
Grant2
Ten Point

Well we ended up 2nd in the tournament. We only allowed 3 runs in four games then the wheels fell apart in the championship game. Very proud of the boys for their first tournament of the season. I see good things coming for this group of young men.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #109
systemnt
Pope & Young

Where and who you play tonight?
Watching GC as group of 9u majors are playing in a 10U tourney and are devastating a team that burnt all their pitchers out getting to that game..
First at bat for the 9u team lasted 45 minutes...
Old 02-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #110
cwill
Ten Point

Rough weekend of ball for both of my boys. Oldest played in a 13u perfect game event and found out pretty quick that they are not ready for that level of competition! It's no fun getting a beat down, but it will sure let them know they need to work harder. My 10yo's team was flat all weekend at the plate and in the field. On a positive note both of my boys did their jobs and kept playing hard despite the scores. We'll chalk it up as a learning weekend and get after it again in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #111
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Well we ended up 2nd in the tournament. We only allowed 3 runs in four games then the wheels fell apart in the championship game. Very proud of the boys for their first tournament of the season. I see good things coming for this group of young men.
Congrats and great way to kick off the spring!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #112
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Rough weekend of ball for both of my boys. Oldest played in a 13u perfect game event and found out pretty quick that they are not ready for that level of competition! It's no fun getting a beat down, but it will sure let them know they need to work harder. My 10yo's team was flat all weekend at the plate and in the field. On a positive note both of my boys did their jobs and kept playing hard despite the scores. We'll chalk it up as a learning weekend and get after it again in a couple of weeks.
you either win or you learn, we have been on the learning end of a few beatdowns too lol.

our scrimmage went well, both teams pitched a different kid every inning and all the boys got 5 a bats. brock had a couple hits and a couple walks, gave up a hit and got 3 groundball outs in his inning. we held our own against a good team so hopefully we can carry it over.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #113
Grant2
Ten Point

It's early in the season just take it easy and let the development take over. Get the reps in and enjoy it right now it's a long season.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #114
jshouse
Pope & Young

We had a last minute round robin tournament added for this weekend, wood bat only, it's our first time in a wood bat tourney so it should be interesting. The boys are excited. It's going to be on turf but still hoping the weather holds off.

I have a hog hunting spot right down the road too so we may get a little shooting in before we head back home in the evenings.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #115
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
We had a last minute round robin tournament added for this weekend, wood bat only, it's our first time in a wood bat tourney so it should be interesting. The boys are excited. It's going to be on turf but still hoping the weather holds off.

I have a hog hunting spot right down the road too so we may get a little shooting in before we head back home in the evenings.
Where are yall playing?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #116
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Where are yall playing?
Diamond kings in McKinney... I can't see how that's still considered McKinney way up there lol.

Sounds like it's us, Texas Stix, Dulins Dodgers and BN Mavericks-Fiveash.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #117
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Parents: Is it more important to win a ring at 9-12 years old OR watch your kid improve, prepare and learn the game?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #118
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Diamond kings in McKinney... I can't see how that's still considered McKinney way up there lol.

Sounds like it's us, Texas Stix, Dulins Dodgers and BN Mavericks-Fiveash.
Whelp - I have no idea how we got involved in this one, but we will be seeing you, lol.

From what I understand, this is a fairly green AAA team, so playing with you guys and Fiveash should be an experience to say the least, lol.

If Jax swings a 29-19 bat, what should we look for in wood?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #119
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Whelp - I have no idea how we got involved in this one, but we will be seeing you, lol.

From what I understand, this is a fairly green AAA team, so playing with you guys and Fiveash should be an experience to say the least, lol.

If Jax swings a 29-19 bat, what should we look for in wood?
Awesome, man I couldn't remember if you guys ended up there or not. We just got a new schedule and it's Dodgers-Greenway instead of the Stix.

I would stay with a -10 if you can find one. We Have a 30/25 Axe and a 30/24 Marucci, but I'm hoping someone else on the team has a -8 or -10 we can use, it's tough enough hitting with wood already, need that extra swing speed.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #120
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Awesome, man I couldn't remember if you guys ended up there or not. We just got a new schedule and it's Dodgers-Greenway instead of the Stix.

I would stay with a -10 if you can find one. We Have a 30/25 Axe and a 30/24 Marucci, but I'm hoping someone else on the team has a -8 or -10 we can use, it's tough enough hitting with wood already, need that extra swing speed.
Greenway is us! That's our facility. It is considered more Celina / Prosper than McKinney.

Jax got a -5 that he got to paint at the Warstic facility. It was just for looks though, and the fun of it.

I have looked at the metal stuff, but didn't know if the wood bats would be similar, or if the specs would be different.

I will have to look for a place that may have a selection.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #121
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

DBat should have some -10 wood bats.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #122
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

When buying wood bas for kids make sure you get ash. don't get talked into the harder woods. Sure you get a little more pop and less flex out of the two others but the sweet spot on ash is larger and they flex more therefore less broken bats. If your kid does not hit with wood they will break some bats and more bats when they first start swinging wood bats.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #123
Grant2
Ten Point

If you get the chance call Cooperstown bat company in NY and get a bat made they are awesome. Just tell them the players age and size and they will get it done. I had one made for my son last year and he loves it and hit BP everyday with that bat.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #124
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
If you get the chance call Cooperstown bat company in NY and get a bat made they are awesome. Just tell them the players age and size and they will get it done. I had one made for my son last year and he loves it and hit BP everyday with that bat.
X2. My son got one last year as well and it's been a really good bat.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #125
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
X2. My son got one last year as well and it's been a really good bat.
Sounds like a great idea, but I'm looking at needing one for Saturday, lol.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #126
glen
Pope & Young

Buy 3. I’ve seen kids go through 3 bats in a tourney
Old 02-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #127
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Huntless

If you can find a Viper wood bat they are really good. Several of the boys in our organization swing them and they are really tough bats.
aggie2000tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #128
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, but I'm looking at needing one for Saturday, lol.
I've been there before! Lol. We've also purchased several from Academy and they've all been good. The Marrucci's have probably been my boy's favorites from Academy. I'd go Ash for his first, softer, cheaper, and still has plenty of pop when they barrel one up.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #129
ca1219
Four Point

Default Warstick

Look at warstick wooden bats also... fairly new to the game but a very good product.
ca1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #130
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1219 View Post
Look at warstick wooden bats also... fairly new to the game but a very good product.
We have a Warstic - It's still too big for him. He does tee work with it.

I'm going to make a trip to dbat and monkey sports over in Allen today. See what I can find.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #131
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Select Baseball

I need a cool indoor bat rack to hang in the boys room, got any suggestions?

Also, If anybody knows anyone playing USA baseball bat rules and they have a 7/8 year old. I have a Louisville Solo 618 first release 28/17 -11, 2 5/8" barrel that has only seen a few dozen hits. I'd let it go for $80.

Last edited by Chad C; 02-22-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #132
systemnt
Pope & Young

Boys came out timid to two good team last night in the fog.. fell apart way early and frankly played the worst baseball theyve ever played.
Tans on the bench due to his arm. Just hitting and running.. and i thought he was going to lose his 9yearold mind yelling at his teammates to get their heads right..
Had to quietly remind him he was the smallest on the team and to ease up just a bit lol.
Teammates did respond..and did their now-patented late game come back attempts..but came up short..again.
Gave up 21 runs in two games. 3 earned.. yes 3.
Not a fan of Friday night games..

Now we wait a see who we get on Sunday..

Love this game.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #133
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Boys came out timid to two good team last night in the fog.. fell apart way early and frankly played the worst baseball theyve ever played.
Tans on the bench due to his arm. Just hitting and running.. and i thought he was going to lose his 9yearold mind yelling at his teammates to get their heads right..
Had to quietly remind him he was the smallest on the team and to ease up just a bit lol.
Teammates did respond..and did their now-patented late game come back attempts..but came up short..again.
Gave up 21 runs in two games. 3 earned.. yes 3.
Not a fan of Friday night games..

Now we wait a see who we get on Sunday..

Love this game.
The little General

We were asked if we could play Friday night games for our tournament next weekend, not sure yet if we are or not.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #134
Grant2
Ten Point

I always liked the Friday night games. It gave me Saturday to clean up my yard and do a few things before the weekend was over.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #135
systemnt
Pope & Young

Spent the day (from getting up at 5:45 til just now)..travelling around playing in a consolation bracket since the boys went 0-2 on friday...
They decided they would not be beat and showed up in every game..

Poorest ran tournament weve been apart of yet.. didnt find out who where or when were were scheduled to play until almost midnight last night.. had to get up at 5:45 to get there..then find out nations double booked us at premier and we had to go to another park..wait for them to line the fields and find umps.. got that game done..then ran to scrapyard..played..then had to wait and hour and a half past the time we were scheduled to play because they ran late, THEN they decided to let us play on an open field...
Had kids tired, 9 of them hurt from getting hit with pitches and sliding incidents..puking from being sick.. and they wouldnt quit.
Tourney sucked..but they proved something to us and themselves.
Tan had a horrible day at bat..bad takes and some bad calls.. wasnt too pleased with himself..especially since its all hes allowed to do.
Head to ortho tomorrow to get cleared to start throwing "hopefully"..
PT has gone great..still taking it slow..which doesnt make me his favorite person either .
Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #136
jer_james
Pope & Young

Hope for Tan's sake, and yalls relationship that he can get back at it, hahaha.

It was a bittersweet weekend for us. I barely got to watch much baseball, but was proud of the kiddos for showing up and playing decent against really good competition. Jax has seemed to fit in well with this group, but still can't find his bat. He pitched well, played left field. Then played SS, second and Center for the Sunday games.

Really missed an opportunity to see Brock and J out there. I was really looking forward to saying hi.

I took driving duty, since the baseball games were about 15 mins. from the house. Volleyball was down in East Dallas with my Daughter. At least baseball is outside and can be somewhat therapeutic at times. There's nothing therapeutic about 6+ straight hours in a warehouse.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #137
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hope for Tan's sake, and yalls relationship that he can get back at it, hahaha.

It was a bittersweet weekend for us. I barely got to watch much baseball, but was proud of the kiddos for showing up and playing decent against really good competition. Jax has seemed to fit in well with this group, but still can't find his bat. He pitched well, played left field. Then played SS, second and Center for the Sunday games.

Really missed an opportunity to see Brock and J out there. I was really looking forward to saying hi.

I took driving duty, since the baseball games were about 15 mins. from the house. Volleyball was down in East Dallas with my Daughter. At least baseball is outside and can be somewhat therapeutic at times. There's nothing therapeutic about 6+ straight hours in a warehouse.
Sometimes that climate control is worth it's weight though lol.

Jax looked great pitching Saturday, other than 1 hiccup he struck 3 out in the first and was solid the rest of the game.

Brock couldn't hit a **** beach ball right now and it's frustrating. He looks great in the cage, it's just not carrying over to live pitching right now at all.

He pitched great Sunday morning though, he's never pitched on a Sunday before and never thrown more than 1 inning so going 3 against a good team was big for him. 1 hit, 1 walk, 4ks and gave up a run. But he's gotta get that bat going.

The 8s won a modified kid pitch tourney, which is where I was for 12 hours yesterday. Logan had a couple hits, 1 was a rocket, but struck out looking a couple times too, it was a good learning experience.

Sorry we couldn't hook up but I'm sure we will see you guys around this spring.

Last edited by jshouse; 02-25-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #138
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sometimes that climate control is worth it's weight though lol.

Jax looked great pitching Saturday, other than 1 hiccup he struck 3 out in the first and was solid the rest of the game.

Brock couldn't hit a **** beach ball right now and it's frustrating. He looks great in the cage, it's just not carrying over to live pitching right now at all.

He pitched great Sunday morning though, he's never pitched on a Sunday before and never thrown more than 1 inning so going 3 against a good team was big for him. 1 hit, 1 walk, 4ks and gave up a run. But he's gotta get that bat going.

The 8s won a modified kid pitch tourney, which is where I was for 12 hours yesterday. Logan had a couple hits, 1 was a rocket, but struck out looking a couple times too, it was a good learning experience.

Sorry we couldn't hook up but I'm sure we will see you guys around this spring.
I spoke with Godwin during our last game against you guys! He said that Sunday matchup was a beautiful game to watch. Pitching duel at its finest.

Also found out through talking with an old teammate who is on that Godwin team, that they are only using wood bats during BP and cage time.

I'm wondering after this weekend, if that is not a better route to go?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #139
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
I spoke with Godwin during our last game against you guys! He said that Sunday matchup was a beautiful game to watch. Pitching duel at its finest.

Also found out through talking with an old teammate who is on that Godwin team, that they are only using wood bats during BP and cage time.

I'm wondering after this weekend, if that is not a better route to go?
Yeah their kid went 6 innings, 45 strikes on 63 pitches, gave up 1 hit and had 9ks! I was watching on game changer and texted a dad that was there and asked him if Nolan was pitching for them lol.

It's tough when you lose a game 2-0 and get 1 hit.

I agree on the wood bats. They definitely hit the ball well against us in Saturday. I bought both my boys wood bats last fall with plans on using them all winter and between basketball and life we didn't really get much baseball in.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #140
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah their kid went 6 innings, 45 strikes on 63 pitches, gave up 1 hit and had 9ks! I was watching on game changer and texted a dad that was there and asked him if Nolan was pitching for them lol.

It's tough when you lose a game 2-0 and get 1 hit.

I agree on the wood bats. They definitely hit the ball well against us in Saturday. I bought both my boys wood bats last fall with plans on using them all winter and between basketball and life we didn't really get much baseball in.
This is exactly what happened to us - luckily we had a blast with basketball, and had a great season. But between that cheer and volleyball - I'm running out of ways to create time, lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #141
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Got to the ballpark at 8:00 AM yesterday for the 9:00 AM pool game of our Sunday only. Pulled out of there at 9:30 PM after losing the championship 4 to 0. Nothing like ripping the bandaid off for the 1st tourney of Spring
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #142
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
Got to the ballpark at 8:00 AM yesterday for the 9:00 AM pool game of our Sunday only. Pulled out of there at 9:30 PM after losing the championship 4 to 0. Nothing like ripping the bandaid off for the 1st tourney of Spring
Haha - aint that the truth
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #143
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
Old 02-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #144
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

The rain has kept up off our practice field all but two days since we started this spring. We faced some decent pitching and hit okay, but you could definitely tell our fielding is way behind. Just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy...

Onward and upward.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #145
glen
Pope & Young

I don’t know if you guys realize it but y’all are really doing a crappy job of posting Action pictures this year
Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #146
jshouse
Pope & Young

I know!

Logan's first hit yesterday morning...

https://youtu.be/CcFzjmoTB7A

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #147
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:

Brock couldn't hit a **** beach ball right now and it's frustrating. He looks great in the cage, it's just not carrying over to live pitching right now at all..
This is Tanner as well... smoking hot in cage .. because of his size and he likes to crowd the plate....his strikezone has been hard for pitchers to get to...and hes gotten used to waiting for the walks..but now has become a perfect strike watcher.. and then panics with 2 on him...
No idea how to fix it. Something hes gotta work out?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #148
systemnt
Pope & Young

Love the pics guys!
I was GC guy..so i dont get any chances to take many pics anymore..

Still got his pic from a year ago in the concession stand at scrapyard..

Also..got this one couple hours ago after the doc told him he was completely released to throw the ball again...

Last edited by systemnt; 02-25-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #149
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Love the pics guys!
I was GC guy..so i dont get any chances to take many pics anymore..

Still got his pic from a year ago in the concession stand at scrapyard..
That's awesome. I guess they just have to work it out, I'm not sure. Brock is actually swinging, and swinging hard he's just missing it right now. He also fouls a few off almost every at bat. Hopefully they can get it figured out...
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #150
jer_james
Pope & Young

That's absolute greatness!