No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going to be able to check my cams until Sept 8th, but was looking through old pics and thought this was interesting.
    That fawn looks pretty close to being a newborn. Whitetail gestation is 201 days, meaning that doe was bred around November 16th.
    Attached Files

Comment

I just purchased 35ac off 377 last month. I have had a feeder running on it since March, with Protein, Peas and Corn. Seen many Hogs, turkey and Whitetail, and a single Axis. It's very green in my neck of the woods, been getting just enough rain to keep it that way. The population seems to be healthy.

I don't think I will be hunting it too much this year as I still have my lease in Valverde county, and I need to build a cabin. I have a 5th wheel trailer that i will move out there and call home for now, and out of courtesy I don't plan on building my cabin until the general season is over.

Good luck to everyone in Edwards county this year and keep safe!

William

Comment

Going to start hunting 100 acres 20 miles south on 377. First year. Pulled cards last week on cameras and was pleasantly surprised. Looks to be a good year.

Comment

I am about 15 miles north of Rocksprings. We've had a decent amount of rain throughout Summer. I sat in the blind last weekend and saw plenty of whitetail and Axis. The whitetail herd seems to be improving.

Comment

Im south of Rocksprings down 377 off CR 460. 84 acres next to a huge ranch. Too many hogs, plenty of deer. Few exotics, but beautiful country on top of a hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              Just out of Barksdale in which direction? We are N of town on 335. Let's see some pics of those nice deer
              I'm just west of town past the school a few miles. I'll post some pics when I get my camera cards back.

Comment

Headed out today to brush in blinds and check cameras, hoping for a lot of picture activity as I have 4 cams spread out on the ranch.

Comment

Edwards County 2017/2018

We stopped feeding in February; I went to the ranch with The Texan on 7/28-7/31 to service all the feeders. He and I dumped out any remaining corn in the feeders, feeders were filled 8/4. Last year I had elk pics from April through May until the feeders ran out. Next summer I will run 1 or 2 feeders Year round and am going to try and kill a free range Texas elk.

Whitetail for size comparison

Red stag

10 pt and 7 pt- two targets for this year. The 7 looks pretty old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Patton; 09-09-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Hunt off of 41 & 230. We had a lot of Axis earlier in the year around Feb. through April, but only get one or 2 a month now on camera. We have fed corn, Alfalfa, and deer mix all year. We have a few small whitetail and lots of hogs. I just got back tonight from out there and everything is still green. It doesn't look like it is going to be a very good season for me.

Comment

Originally posted by R.W.T View Post
                      Turkey ridge or deer valley ?
                      Neighbor?

Comment

Went out to our ranch this weekend.. Saw a whole herd of these.. probably 50 Turkey's over the weekend! Doves...nnnnnt!

Comment

Patton those "huge deer" sure are tempting. Best of luck to you this season. Something tells me that you are going to like what you see from your stand this year. You have quite a selection of good tasting critters to choose from. I'm jealous for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                            Our weather station is reading 0.02" for today. We are a ways North of Camp Wood/Barksdale.
                            What weather station did you get? Do you like/recommend it?

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                              Neighbor?
                              Yup, not sure witch one lol

Comment

I am 20 miles south of Junction off 377. This is the 3rd year I have been on the lease but was invited as a guest several times 2 years prior to that. I am not sure if it is due to us feeding the little bit of protein we put out (4k lbs), feeding corn year round, the little bit of management I have been able to incorporate or the little bit of above average rain we have gotten but our white tail are better than they ever have been in the past 4 years. Still not very big deer but it is exciting to see the improvement. I am really excited to go back again this weekend to check the game cams.

We have also been hitting the fox really hard the past 3 years and the quail population has gone up substantially. Also the turkey have come back but I attribute that to us feeding year round more than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X