Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
PublicLandFreaks
Four Point

Hunt In: Cuero,Public land
Default Tree Saddle Users

hey guys hoping someone might be able to help me out. I host the Storm Water Creek podcast and we are currently looking for someone who is a tree saddle hunter. We are going to be interviewing a manufacturer in a couple of weeks and would like ot have a follow up podcast with someone who actually has used one and can give some details about the experience. We are DFW based and if you are local we will provide dinner and beers. if you are not local we can do the interview via the telephone.

Thank you for the help!!

Abe
PublicLandFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
BW96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Try the saddle hunter forum. Id help you out if I had more experience. Iím currently piecing my set-up together. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

Hunted out of a Tethrd Mantis this season a handful of times. I would be happy to provide feedback but it sounds like you may be looking for someone with a bit more experience. Great podcast by the way!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
PublicLandFreaks
Four Point

Hunt In: Cuero,Public land

Thanks guys for the feed back!! and Thank you Rich for the kinds words about the podcast.
PublicLandFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

Reach out to 'IkemanTX' on here. He has experience using saddles, according the LBJ forum from last year.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
MetalMan2004
Six Point

I’m gonna have to check out your podcast. I’m currently piecing together as well but no experience yet. I also am a public land freak though

If you ever need someone to talk about hunting in Sam Houston Forest I’m game though.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
LilHoss
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Feel free to reach out to me been saddle hunting for several years 10+. I can save you a lot of time and maybe some $$. It is the best way to hunt hands down. You will not want to use a tree stand again.
LilHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHoss View Post
Feel free to reach out to me been saddle hunting for several years 10+. I can save you a lot of time and maybe some $$. It is the best way to hunt hands down. You will not want to use a tree stand again.
What are you using for a platform? I just stood on my Muddy sticks last season and definitely see the need to upgrade to a dedicated platform or ring of steps.

Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
LilHoss
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1201 View Post
What are you using for a platform? I just stood on my Muddy sticks last season and definitely see the need to upgrade to a dedicated platform or ring of steps.

Been there done that. That is not comfortable at all. Comfort is the key in a saddle. I use a ring of Ameristeps on a ratchet strap. There are so many options now though it is crazy. Like 3 companies are making saddle platforms. It is basically just a tree stand seat that you stand on.
LilHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gordan, Moran

Lilhoss—-would you mind posting pics of your setup? I have never used one but seems like a great way to hunt and be pretty dang mobile if needed
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
L C
Four Point

I've considered trying a saddle in South Texas but severely limited due to lack of large trees. Plus, when you get higher the lower brush is typically in your way.

Has anyone tried with success in the south with the mesquite, live oak and juniper environment?
L C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I think TBHr Lean Machine sewed his own high quality saddle. I'll give the podcast a listen as well
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I think TBHr Lean Machine sewed his own high quality saddle. I'll give the podcast a listen as well
He did. And he loves that thing. I think hes killed like 8 deer out of it now.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #14
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Yea i don't think i am the wealth of knowledge you are looking for since i just started using one last year. I was on the fence about buying one but it was so close to season that i could not get one in time due to manufacturers being weeks behind schedule and back ordered. The $300+ price points had me a little squeamish as well. So yea i just did my research and sewed one as close to store bought as i could get. I have a good bit of sewing experience and this was a very easy project compared to other stuff i have tackled. I ran into the same back order and price point problems with the Stepp ladder steps and platfoms so i just made them as well. I fell in love with the system pretty quick and ended up having the most successful season of my life.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 AM   #15
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Some pics

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #16
BW96
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Yea i don't think i am the wealth of knowledge you are looking for since i just started using one last year. I was on the fence about buying one but it was so close to season that i could not get one in time due to manufacturers being weeks behind schedule and back ordered. The $300+ price points had me a little squeamish as well. So yea i just did my research and sewed one as close to store bought as i could get. I have a good bit of sewing experience and this was a very easy project compared to other stuff i have tackled. I ran into the same back order and price point problems with the Stepp ladder steps and platfoms so i just made them as well. I fell in love with the system pretty quick and ended up having the most successful season of my life.
How'd you make the steps? That take DIY to a whole new level. I found a set of used steps for a good deal so I plan to use those with the 5 step aider this coming season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #17
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
How'd you make the steps? That take DIY to a whole new level. I found a set of used steps for a good deal so I plan to use those with the 5 step aider this coming season.

Searched the web at length for people thay had already done it and copied their dimensions and approach. I used 1/2" square tubing and bent it with a harbor freight bender. It worked surpsingly well after i figured out how to use it. Its just cutting and welding other than that.

Im considering going to an aider this year, not so much to save weight but to save the time of attaching extra steps.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
BW96
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Searched the web at length for people thay had already done it and copied their dimensions and approach. I used 1/2" square tubing and bent it with a harbor freight bender. It worked surpsingly well after i figured out how to use it. Its just cutting and welding other than that.

Im considering going to an aider this year, not so much to save weight but to save the time of attaching extra steps.

Yeah that's the first thing I learned. Tying them takes time. That's the main reason I'm going aider.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #19
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
Yeah that's the first thing I learned. Tying them takes time. That's the main reason I'm going aider.

Giving up on the climber or just adding another option?
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #20
BW96
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post
Giving up on the climber or just adding another option?
We will see. I'm sure the climbers will build a ton of dust this fall. A saddle will fit my run and gun style.