Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County
Default Low Carb/Atkins/Keto Recipes

I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and am down close to 10 lbs but I am running out of variety. Let me know what yall are eating on this kind of diet.
I bought a microwave steamer for veggies and fish. I also got a microwave omelet maker. The steamer works great for lunch at work and the omelet maker makes minimally sufficient omelets for breakfast.

Here are a couple of my favorites.

-Ground beef tacos with avocado and shredded cheese wrapped in a romaine leaf.

-Breakfast for dinner (eggs, sausage or bacon, etc.)

-Rotisserie chicken from HEB shredded and topped with spicy ranch and wrapped in a romaine leaf.

-Steamed veggies and smoked sausage link.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I've been doing a keto "kick start" plan...
Breakfast is 2 slices bacon, 2 hard boiled eggs. I add tobasco.
Lunch is 5 oz ground beef with sauteed onions and green bell pepper with seasoning to taste and steamed veggies.
Dinner is two chicken thighs topped with mayo and more steamed veggies.
Snacks are 1.5 oz blue diamond smoked almonds from Costco/Sams or pork rhinds.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
BuckRage
Ten Point

one of my favorite meals or side dishes is spinach but on steroids. I will cook up a bunch of cut up bacon and sausage. Pour that into a pot along with spinach, cheese, butter, tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes (not a ton), red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Oh man even the kids love it. That'll be a whole meal for me.
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
I've been doing a keto "kick start" plan...
Breakfast is 2 slices bacon, 2 hard boiled eggs. I add tobasco.
Lunch is 5 oz ground beef with sauteed onions and green bell pepper with seasoning to taste and steamed veggies.
Dinner is two chicken thighs topped with mayo and more steamed veggies.
Snacks are 1.5 oz blue diamond smoked almonds from Costco/Sams or pork rhinds.
I do the same. I keep a big container of mixed nuts in my desk drawer and grab a handful when needed.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
MadHatter
Ten Point

I don't know any recipes, but my girl has become a savant at keto cooking over that last few yrs. We are not so much about keto, just healthy eating in general.
Some strictly keto things that come to mind, that really impressed me..
Bisque of all sorts
Cloud bread
Avacado pudding
Cookies of every kind imaginable.
Spaghetti made with squash
Cauliflower Steak
Cauliflower pizza crust
Cauliflower mashed potatoes
Zucchini ravioli
Avacado deviled eggs
Zucchini enchiladas
Zuchina lasagna
Chicken fried steak, substituting pork rinds for bread crumbs. Can be used on a lot of things.
Basically anything you can imagine can be made keto in some way, and you can eat every bit as good as non-keto.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I found after doing the keto diet for a few weeks I just don't eat as much as i normally do.. i eat sausage and eggs during the day or for breakfast .. bringing lunch to work is the biggest problem.. sometimes I grill hamburger patties and just eat that. Or sausage.. I had to learn to eat out of necessity vs pleasure.. that was the hardest part. Now I can go 18 hours before i feel hungry. I've lost and kept 35 lbs off for a little over a year.. once I got to me target weight I started cheating a little and still maintained my weight.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

When I was doing keto my favorite thing was pork egg roll in s bowl .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I think that is one of the biggest things... Call it marketing or old fashioned or whatever... Gotta get out of the 3 meals a day with snacks. It's weird to see how much we used to eat. We went and hung out with family and had lunch at 2, small snacks at 5, dinner around 7...why do we need that much food? But that's what we grew up doing. Hard to break the cycle but keto helps... I haven't had lunch all week and haven't been hungry.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
I think that is one of the biggest things... Call it marketing or old fashioned or whatever... Gotta get out of the 3 meals a day with snacks. It's weird to see how much we used to eat. We went and hung out with family and had lunch at 2, small snacks at 5, dinner around 7...why do we need that much food? But that's what we grew up doing. Hard to break the cycle but keto helps... I haven't had lunch all week and haven't been hungry.
I grew up in a family that went for 2nds or 3rds and you ate everything on your plate.. that's a hard habit to break.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Big Red 82
Ten Point

They have some really good tortillas made from spinach that stays under your carb count to roll stuff up in,
Big Red 82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
BigCohiba
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

Brussel sprouts has become one of our favorites. Chop up a bunch of thick sliced bacon, cook until crisp then remove from pan, toss in halved Brussel sprouts and cook in bacon grease until they get charred up a bit. Add some beef broth or soy sauce and red pepper flakes, toss bacon back in. Cook a few more minutes and serve. We eat it at least once a week with some grilled chicken or pork chop or steak ... You can also add some sliced onions for a variant.

Mashed cauliflower is another one. Steam cauliflower florets in microwave. Add to food processer. Add a splash of cream, big spoon of sour cream, a tablespoon of butter, a good handful of sharp cheddar, fresh cracked pepper, and salt to taste. Puree in food processor until smooth. Excellent side for choice of grilled meat or roto chicken.
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
I grew up in a family that went for 2nds or 3rds and you ate everything on your plate.. that's a hard habit to break.
Sounds like my house growing up
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCohiba View Post
Brussel sprouts has become one of our favorites. Chop up a bunch of thick sliced bacon, cook until crisp then remove from pan, toss in halved Brussel sprouts and cook in bacon grease until they get charred up a bit. Add some beef broth or soy sauce and red pepper flakes, toss bacon back in. Cook a few more minutes and serve. We eat it at least once a week with some grilled chicken or pork chop or steak ... You can also add some sliced onions for a variant.

Mashed cauliflower is another one. Steam cauliflower florets in microwave. Add to food processer. Add a splash of cream, big spoon of sour cream, a tablespoon of butter, a good handful of sharp cheddar, fresh cracked pepper, and salt to taste. Puree in food processor until smooth. Excellent side for choice of grilled meat or roto chicken.

I am eating the heck out of brussel sprouts. I steam them with broccoli and asparagus and eat those with a link of sausage. I think I will try your recipe with bacon tonight. Cauliflower mash sounds good too.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Cheap roast in slowcooker, add pepperocini peppers, juice and peppers. Add spices
Yum

Shrimp scampi-https://www.staysnatched.com/keto-red-lobster-shrimp-scampi/

1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon McCormick’s Montreal Chicken Seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons butter, microwave for 15 seconds to soften
1 cup white wine, use dry white wine with little sugar I used Pinot Grigio (If strict keto use chicken broth or vegetable broth)
Ĺ lemon, juice of
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
chopped parsley to garnish

Instructions

Season the shrimp with the chicken seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
Heat a skillet on medium-high heat.
Add the olive oil to the skillet with the shrimp.
Cook both sides of the shrimp for a total of 3-4 minutes until the shrimp turns bright pink.
Remove the shrimp from the skillet.
Add the garlic to the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the white wine, fresh lemon juice,Italian Seasoning, and optional red pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes. The wine sauce will start to bubble.
Lower the heat and cook for 2 additional minutes
Add the butter to the skillet. Allow it melt.
Add the shrimp back to the pan. Allow the dish to cook for 1-2 minutes.
Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese and parsley.
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #15
Chris Boger
Nubbin' Buck

1/4 backstrap. Split the top and add cream cheese with sweet jalapeŮo relish mixed it. Wrap with bacon and toss it on the pellet grill to 150ish degrees. Put in oven on broil to crisp the bacon. Very good !
Chris Boger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
spotsanddots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

What saved me is the low carb tortillas. Flour tortillas with only 4grms of carbs. Love me some tacos. Those help a lot.
spotsanddots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #17
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCohiba View Post

Made the Brussels sprouts tonight. My family loved them. My 3.5 year old wanted those more than steak!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and am down close to 10 lbs but I am running out of variety. Let me know what yall are eating on this kind of diet.

I bought a microwave steamer for veggies and fish. I also got a microwave omelet maker. The steamer works great for lunch at work and the omelet maker makes minimally sufficient omelets for breakfast.

Here are a couple of my favorites.

-Ground beef tacos with avocado and shredded cheese wrapped in a romaine leaf.

-Breakfast for dinner (eggs, sausage or bacon, etc.)

-Rotisserie chicken from HEB shredded and topped with spicy ranch and wrapped in a romaine leaf.

-Steamed veggies and smoked sausage link.

Tell me about this microwave omlet maker? I have restarted my keto diet this weekend.
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 82 View Post
They have some really good tortillas made from spinach that stays under your carb count to roll stuff up in,
What is the brand and where can they be found??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsanddots View Post
What saved me is the low carb tortillas. Flour tortillas with only 4grms of carbs. Love me some tacos. Those help a lot.
What is the brand and where can they be found??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
DrewHase7
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Buna

Chicken thighs
Chicken wings
Smoke a brisket or pork butt and just add veggie of choice
I do a lot of cheese also
Make sure you get lots of fiber from salads and greens or you'll regret it

Oh, and Cole slaw homemade works
DrewHase7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Chicken and sausage fajitas with all kinds of veggies is one of my favorites...

Burger salads... Remove/discard burger buns of a "bacon King"; toss on a salad along with a sliced avocado....

Last edited by Pedernal; 04-07-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #22
spotsanddots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Mission tortillas is the brand. HEB has them, sometimes Walmart. They have some bigger ones theat are like 6-8 gms of carbs, and the small ones are 4grms.
spotsanddots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #23
Foxtrot
Spike

Hunt In: Looking!

Ive been on keto for 3 wks now. Down 9lbs. I eat a lot of peppers for snacks. Eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast. We typically do a steak, chicken breast or pork chop witha veggie for supper. I usually take leftovers for lunch.

Someone earlier said, after time they dont eat as much. Same here and Im not hingry either
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

I don't know if my diet/ habit change/ routine has a name, but it's worked for me. I meal prep alot and eat smaller portions. I try to stay away from crust, gravy and any othe white foods. Sugar, bread, noodles, rice. I make mini 1 egg omelettes in a muffin pan. Cooks several pork chops, chicken legs, hamburger patties, chicken tenders on sunday nite. I buy a bunch of the small cans of veggies to go with my meals. For snax I like mixed nuts, 0 calorie jello, cheese stix, boiled eggs and I make my own lunchables. 1 thick slice of whatever lunch meat and cheese you like, and cut into fours, put em in zip lock bags. Everything is cooked, grab n go. I drink lots of water. Ain't hungry, feel really good. I've lost almost 40 pounds since Nov 1, 2018. I've lost 22% body fat, went from wearing size 42 jeans down to 38s (and they are gettin baggy) and the best part is, my last dr visit, my dr did not renew any of my prescriptions. I was border line diabetic, borderline high blood pressure. I don't work out. The only exercise I get is at work, but I walk everywhere. If I want a cheeseburger, I get a cheeseburger. I order a kids meal and get apple slices instead of fries. If I want fried chicken, I order a kids meal. My cheat meals are usually for lunch. That way I have the rest of the day to walk it off, instead of going to ci cis pizza and floppin down on the couch afterwards.

It's working for me.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #25
Chuey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

maybe we need to put a book together of keto diet foods.
Chuey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #26
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Tell me about this microwave omlet maker? I have restarted my keto diet this weekend.
Sorry I just saw this. Itís just a rubbery flat bowl that you scramble a few eggs in and nuke. Itís usually edible. But donít overcook or the eggs will turn grey and hard. I bough it on amazon.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #27
BigCohiba
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
It's working for me.
This is what matters most. Establish a routine that works and results the doc likes.

I tell everyone I'm following a keto principled diet - certainly not strict keto. My thought is it took many years to pile the weight on so I'm in no big hurry to get it back off. It's more of a sustainable lifestyle change for me than a diet.
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #28
jessBsemple
Spike

Keto nachos. Instead of chips use pork rinds. They come with choice of brisket crumbles or pulled pork pieces with sour cream and some grated cheese.
jessBsemple is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #29
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

More meals that keep me going low carb without getting sick of it:

Chipolte salad

Burger (no bun) with cheese and herb aioli plus steamed broccoli at Outback for lunch

Lunch pork rib and link sausage plate at Pappas BBQ with shredded cheese and side salad with Italian

My family likes the whole roasted chickens you can buy hot at the store. I have started buying Pesto sauce (in the cold section with the fresh pasta) and making Pesto Shredded chicken.

Baked eggplant. Slice eggplant and lay them on a cookie sheet in one layer. Brush with olive oil an top with crushed garlic and Sambal (Asian hot sauce) to taste. Bake at 400 until very soft.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #30
Hunter Dan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I am not on a keto diet, but I eat very clean and low carb. My carbs come mostly from oats, brown rice, sweet potatoe, and fruit. I just stay away from sweets, carbs, and processed foods, so nothing from a box or a bag.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #31
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
I am not on a keto diet, but I eat very clean and low carb. My carbs come mostly from oats, brown rice, sweet potatoe, and fruit. I just stay away from sweets, carbs, and processed foods, so nothing from a box or a bag.
I think that's a wise policy. I am not strict keto in that I am not trying to eat high fat. Just ultra low carb to lose some weight. Mostly meat, eggs, green leafy vegetables etc. I've lost 16 lbs in about 2 months.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #32
CoryW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque County

Following.
CoryW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #33
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Breakfast for dinner tonight.

Gonna try baking an egg with bacon slices in halved avocados soon. Those look awesome
Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #34
Shortya
Spike

Hard Boiled EGGS!!
Shortya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top