Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #51
Schultz1503
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger WMA and central Texas area and beyond!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR3 View Post
Anyone hunting the Caddo National Grasslands around Coffe Mill lake

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Allot of hunters have had bad luck lately winds have been too strong no turkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schultz1503 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #52
frank_utexas
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
LBJ grasslands (around Decatur). Hunted there for over 20 years. Come Spring, those Rios will be lighting it up first light. PM me with questions regarding spots to hunt. I don't mind sharing.

My buddy and I are doing are first turkey hunt this spring and I live in Keller so Decatur is the closest to me considering I can't be too far away from home with a 7 month old baby. We found a few spots to scout by Cottonwood Lake. Have you been out there recently and seen any turkey?
frank_utexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #53
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

click >>----> Here’s info on public Turkeys...guaranteed!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #54
hardcore247
Spike

Some good info on here.
hardcore247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #55
Scott1997
Nubbin' Buck

Me and my buddy are headed up to LBJ this weekend to try our luck. I've hunted easterns on public land down in East Texas but have never hunted Rio's on public land. Anyone familiar with the hunting pressure up there? Just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
Scott1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #56
HR3
Ten Point

Hunt In: AR,LA,MS,AL,TX,IN....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1997 View Post
Me and my buddy are headed up to LBJ this weekend to try our luck. I've hunted easterns on public land down in East Texas but have never hunted Rio's on public land. Anyone familiar with the hunting pressure up there? Just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
Following..... Heard there ain't no up there.....

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
HR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #57
hardcore247
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1997 View Post
Based upon the chatter on this thread I am guessing you won't be the only one up there looking for them.
hardcore247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #58
Scott1997
Nubbin' Buck

Default Lbj

Well if you are reading this and are new to public land turkey hunting and unsure of public land etiquette, let me give you some advice before heading out into the field.
1. Don't try and use turkey fans on public land unless you are absolutely certain that no other hunters are around. This could lead to someone getting shot
2. Spend more time listening than calling. I've had killed more turkeys by listening rather than hammering on a call.
3. The rule of first come, first serve will always hold true on public land. The only person who has the right to hunt that spot is the person that gets to it first
4. Don't go asking other hunters for hunting spots. The hunt is more rewarding by doing your own research.
5. Don't be the guy that shows up late and walks through other peoples' spots. If your spot is deeper in the woods, you need to leave camp earlier.
6. Don't be an angry hunter. If something goes wrong while you are hunting, don't go and ruin everyone else's hunt. My buddy went hunting on public land and some guy showed up late and got angry that my buddy was in his spot. The guy went back to his truck and started revving his engine and making as much noise as possible just so my buddy would have a bad hunt.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #59
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1997 View Post
me and my buddy are headed up to lbj this weekend to try our luck. I've hunted easterns on public land down in east texas but have never hunted rio's on public land. Anyone familiar with the hunting pressure up there? Just want to get an idea of what i'm getting into.
lots of hunting pressure!!!
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #60
Scott1997
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
lots of hunting pressure!!!
Thanks for the warning! It's supposed to rain this weekend so hopefully it'll reduce the amount of hunters in the field.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #61
JohnnyC
Spike

Hunt In: Northwest of dfw

I was up there today, the guys and gals at the office said they hadnt seen any turkey and hadnt heard of anyone seeing any. Unit 15 had a controlled burn. All that i saw was a bit of pig sign. Heading back in the am

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #62
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

I planned to turkey hunt this past weekend but couldn’t find my turkey choke so I left all my gear at home this weekend. I still drove the 9 hrs to the ranch thinking I wouldn’t regret it and just turn it into a work weekend.

I think I heard tom’s gobbling every time I stepped off the back porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top