Ruger 5.56 or Build your own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cousin is planning to get his first AR and his budget is $400.
    I found the Ruger 5.56 online for $470 and a lot of people recommends online to get a PSA for around the same money.
    He will be shooting papers at range.

I like the Ruger but I like to get your suggestions

Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by roger_silva View Post
    My cousin is planning to get his first AR and his budget is $400.
    I found the Ruger 5.56 online for $470 and a lot of people recommends online to get a PSA for around the same money.
    He will be shooting papers at range.

I like the Ruger but I like to get your suggestions

Thank you all.

I have both PSA build and the ruger, they're both great. If you don't want to mess with a build, just get the ruger, nothing wrong with it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would get the Ruger.

Comment

My first AR was the ruger. It's a great gun for the money. For your first AR, you can't go wrong with the Ruger. I have free float handguard, Larue Trigger, Magpul stock, and suppressor on mine now. I still use it as my primary coyote rifle, and it will shoot 3/4 MOA easily with Factory Hornady Spire Points.

With that being said, I’ve built several ARs now and will never buy another factory rifle. After you get setup with the right tools, you can build a much superior rifle for the same price as factory. As you can see with my ruger, I wasted a lot of money taking off parts to get it the way I wanted. When you build a rifle, you get it exactly the way you want it and can splurge on the areas you want to and save money where you don’t. However, if you’re just looking for a budget rifle to plink with and don’t intend on upgrading anything, a cheap factory rifle will probably suit you just fine.

This is what it looks like now:

Last edited by Raider4044; 10-17-2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

they're fun to build from scratch too.

buy extra detents and springs....trust me.

Comment

I'd get the Ruger. I had no idea the price of those has dropped that much. They're good rifles.

Comment

I say build one. Half of the fun of AR-15s is building them from scratch. You get to pick your parts and get a nice sense of accomplishment. Kinda like a hot rod... Built > Bought. I bought my first upper “complete” and assembled my lower with basic hand tools and YouTube. I didn’t buy any special tools until my 3rd or 4th build. They do make it easier though.

My FIL has the plane jane Ruger, I’m not impressed. You can put together something with superior parts for the same money. Or expand the budget slightly by spreading the purchases over a little more time.

Comment

Buy the Ruger now, then build one later .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have the ruger. I bought it two years ago and still haven't shot it. It looks great in the safe.

Comment

I have the Ruger---only thing I've done is put in an after market trigger. 8# was way too much.

Comment

Look at Del-ton also they make some nice rifles also !

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                        My first AR was the ruger. It's a great gun for the money. For your first AR, you can't go wrong with the Ruger. I have free float handguard, Larue Trigger, Magpul stock, and suppressor on mine now. I still use it as my primary coyote rifle, and it will shoot 3/4 MOA easily with Factory Hornady Spire Points.

With that being said, I’ve built several ARs now and will never buy another factory rifle. After you get setup with the right tools, you can build a much superior rifle for the same price as factory. As you can see with my ruger, I wasted a lot of money taking off parts to get it the way I wanted. When you build a rifle, you get it exactly the way you want it and can splurge on the areas you want to and save money where you don’t. However, if you’re just looking for a budget rifle to plink with and don’t intend on upgrading anything, a cheap factory rifle will probably suit you just fine.

This is what it looks like now:

What scope are you running? Looking to turn my 300blk into a coyote gun and don't feel like spending a ton on a scope

Comment

Originally posted by SETX_Insanity View Post
                          What scope are you running? Looking to turn my 300blk into a coyote gun and don't feel like spending a ton on a scope

That’s a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 3-9x40. It a really good scope for the money. It’s definitely not a $500 scope, but it does the job.

Comment

Build...

Comment

Working...
                            X