Meat handling after the kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
    Mine has been in ice for 13 days now. Deboning this wknd. Never had an issue and taste great.
    I can picture it now, and it just makes me cringe. This for sure seems like a southern thing. As that’s the way we did it when we were down there, and how buddies that live down there still do it. Just curious, you butcher cattle ?

Comment

[quote=Tom;14442733][QUOTE=AntlerCollector;14438962]
      Originally posted by Smart View Post
      So you are placing your deer in sterilized bags you get from? Or just regular ol trash bags? That's not very sanitary...

No thanks......too much effort and bones poke though bags too easy anyway.......90% of it will be burger, sausage, or jerky so I'll just keep doing it until it kills me I guess..

They are only "trash" bags if you put trash in them . Nothing unsanitary about a clean plastic bag. I don't recommend trash bags though

These are the best type of bags below. Also if you can use dry ice in your cooler it's much better to keep the water off the meat.

Have you actually used these??? they are not water proof so throwing you game in here and then putting it on ice will not keep them dry.

I try not to let the meat touch the ice ever. Yes I've used these bags. Mostly to keep the meat clean. Plastic garbage bags can cause bacteria especially if the meat hasn't been properly cooled down.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        Huh?
        X2?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
              I can picture it now, and it just makes me cringe. This for sure seems like a southern thing. As that’s the way we did it when we were down there, and how buddies that live down there still do it. Just curious, you butcher cattle ?
              I personally don’t butcher cattle. We do feed out a couple steers a year and have the butchered. They hang for 21-28 days. Unbelievable how much better the meat is from our own cattle than store bought. Heck it’s been 10 yrs since I have purchased any meat other than chicken or pork chops from the grocery store.

As long as the meat stays cold I don’t see an issue. While deboning I have come across some odd looking areas and cut them out. They don’t stink but doesn’t look like the rest so I cook them and toss to the pups.

Comment

When I was young my dad processed animals and smoked meat, and fish and made bacon for a butcher shop. We hung the beef for periods of time and yes it is way better then what you get at the grocery store. We never got the meat wet ( other then a quick rinse, and dry) with water, then cold and dry. Never does anyone soak beef or pork in water or ice. Water no matter how cold the water, moisture breeds bacteria like crazy. We hunted down there and our buddies soaked their venison, we hung ours dry. I know we convinced several people not to soak there meat after that. But there were a few that preferred it “ wet”. We termed it the “ tofu” method, and still refer to it as that. I am sure you know what I mean. But again to each their own, as long as it tastes good to us, our friends and customers, that’s all that matters.

Comment

Huh?
                  That’s fair; started typing my response then my infant daughter started screaming. Should have proof read it better.

I’m with the ice it down crowd.

Comment

Working...
                  X