Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default Any experience with Great Pyrenees on your deer lease?

I'm talking to a rancher about leasing his place. He doesn't have any cattle, but he runs a herd of goats. He has one Great Pyrenees dog out with them now and says he needs to add another dog to his place to protect the goats. He is very proactive about killing predators to protect his goats, so that's good for the deer fawn crop too. My only question is about the dog(s) and whether they will chase deer and be a problem or not. He said he's never seen his dog chasing deer, but he had a dog that was half Australian Shepherd a few years ago that would chase deer. He said he sees deer grazing inside 100 yards from his goats and dog all the time now.

What about GP? I've never been around them. Is his current dog typical of the breed, in that she doesn't chase deer? Or are they a problem on a deer lease?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
texashunter56
Ten Point

For me the goats are more of an issue than the dog. How many acres and how many goats?
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I've been around a few. Typically they are working dogs and stay with the herd. I wouldn't worry about it. Goats and sheep scare me more than that pooch!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I will never (did I mention NEVER) hunt a place with goats again. But if the GP keep them in check and away from the hunting areas, it might be worth it.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Shared a lease with Skylar one year and there was one that ran with the land owners goats. It never left the goats and never bothered anything. It was friendly if you approached it but it would never leave the goats to come to you.
A friend of ours in Fannin Co has one and it is friendly but you seldom ever see it. It stays out around the edge of the property guarding for intruders and protecting his chickens. Cool dogs in a way.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Happy Buddah
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River County

Great choice for sure. The ranch we hunt on has them and they are great all around. They especially were attached to the goats.
Happy Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Our neighbor has one that protects his goats and sheep. I am 150-200 yards from our fence line and 800 yards from his house. I have had the dog on camera once since 2008 walking outside my feedpen in the middle of the day. None of the other guys have that I know of. I have also never seen him chasing deer and we have to pass by his house every trip to the blinds. All dogs are different but he's not even an issue to us.

We have about 60ish goats on our place with no issues (4400 acres). Good big feedpens and a camp inside a fence has made them a non factor.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

We have a few goats on our family place and run two GP with them. I have never seen them bother the deer or even show interest in chasing anything that wasn't a threat to the goats. Now pigs, coyotes, bobcats, etc better watch out as those dogs mean business and don't stop till it's dead or far away.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I will never (did I mention NEVER) hunt a place with goats again. But if the GP keep them in check and away from the hunting areas, it might be worth it.
I too had a bad experience with goats one time. Never again.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #10
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't take my dog to the lease. Pyrenees will destroy any perceived threats
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

We drive through a place with goats and 4 GP's.

Numerous times I have seen deer inside of 100 yards of the goat herd with the dogs near by and they never seem to bat a eye at them.

People on the other hand..... Lets just say from opening gates around these dogs that If my truck ever breaks down at the ranch at dark I will be walking a couple miles out of the way to avoid stepping foot on the property those things are on....

One day we drove by a dead 80 pound pig near the goat pens that apparently got too close to the goats and they got ahold of it. Pretty crazy sight when a pure white fluffy dog covered in blood from the tip of its nose all the way to its front legs
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

I'm with the others that will never be on a place with goats ever again. Sheep and cows are bad but goats are as bad as hogs if not worse. You can't fence them out of a feeder pen. They climb like a squirrel and will destroy or eat most pop up ground blinds.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't take my dog to the lease. Pyrenees will destroy any perceived threats
This!!! I have witnessed ours literally pull a grown black lab through a goat mesh fence. Thankfully we showed up when we did or that dog would of been toast. The lab was cutting through our pasture and thought just because it made it to the other side of the fence it was safe.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

We have a neighbor that has goats and a GP(they don't live there,raw land).I see it at least once a weekend on our place. I've seen it chasing deer and I suppose it's only a matter of time before it's caught chasing cattle.The land owner says to kill it,if we catch it chasing cattle.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I'm with the others that will never be on a place with goats ever again. Sheep and cows are bad but goats are as bad as hogs if not worse. You can't fence them out of a feeder pen. They climb like a squirrel and will destroy or eat most pop up ground blinds.
We've been 100% successful doing just that since 2008 with 11 pens. Goat wire or panels..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
texashunter56
Ten Point

If you can throw a bucket of water at a fence and any of the water makes it through the fence then it is not goat proof.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Those dogs won't bother your deer
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Shared a lease with Skylar one year and there was one that ran with the land owners goats. It never left the goats and never bothered anything. It was friendly if you approached it but it would never leave the goats to come to you.
A friend of ours in Fannin Co has one and it is friendly but you seldom ever see it. It stays out around the edge of the property guarding for intruders and protecting his chickens. Cool dogs in a way.
You must have been leasing from my Uncle David (East of Caddo a couple of miles on south side of Hwy 180)
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #19
mcanderson83
Four Point

Hunt In: Trinity and Walker Counties

We had three of them for years, they patrolled our 200 acres and pretty well kept all of the predators away, never seemed to have an effect on the deer though, still killed good ones every year
mcanderson83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Goats on our Sonora lease were a pain in the .....
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #21
M.E.B.
Ten Point

I was on a lease once. The third year the ranch foreman put 700 goats on 700 acres. I told him we would not release with the goats so he took them off. We paid our money and a month later, Sept, he put them back on with two GP. The goats turned the place into a moonscape. A couple got hung up in our feed pens and died.

I think lack of food kept the deer out. I saw one single doe in LLano county that year. A buddy did see one of the GP chasing a cow. Oh yeah we had cows too.

I walked up to a goat and was gonna give it a swift kick in the b sack and I noticed mine had gotten warm all of a sudden I looked behind me and a GP had his nose up my crotch. I said "Nice goat, good dog" and never thought about hurting goat again.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #22
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I had a great lease out around Junction that went to pot as soon as the owner's grandson put goats on it. I'd watch deer in the feed pens scatted for no apparent reason,...then I'd see the goats coming out of the brush.

Ruined a great deer lease with two great guys.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #23
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I thought this thread was about a dog not goats
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #24
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I thought this thread was about a dog not goats
Shows how much you know.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I'm talking to a rancher about leasing his place. He doesn't have any cattle, but he runs a herd of goats. He has one Great Pyrenees dog out with them now and says he needs to add another dog to his place to protect the goats. He is very proactive about killing predators to protect his goats, so that's good for the deer fawn crop too. My only question is about the dog(s) and whether they will chase deer and be a problem or not. He said he's never seen his dog chasing deer, but he had a dog that was half Australian Shepherd a few years ago that would chase deer. He said he sees deer grazing inside 100 yards from his goats and dog all the time now.

What about GP? I've never been around them. Is his current dog typical of the breed, in that she doesn't chase deer? Or are they a problem on a deer lease?
I was on a lease up near Mason that had cows, sheep & goats and the rancher had a couple of GP. Never seemed to bother the deer as they were more focused on guarding the herd than messing with the deer.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #26
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

i would say you are good. They typ. stay with the herd.
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #27
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

The goats will be an issue with regards to your feed pens!

The dog is very protective of his flock and will even keep you away from the goats!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #28
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Shows how much you know.
Where there are GP there are goats and or sheep.

Unless I was hunting a GREAT BIG HUGE place with MINIMAL goats I would never hunt with goats again
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #29
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Yeah, the goat issue is obvious and a definite drawback. I just didn't know about the dogs. Sounds like the dogs won't be a problem. Goats are always looking for a way to become a problem. I don't know how many goats he has, but that's definitely one thing I will be asking about.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #30
Ętheling
Pope & Young

I'd be worried about the dog. I've only known well tempered GPs till I met my neighbors dog. Thing will leave the goats and attack my truck if I drive by him. That dogs gonna get shot one of these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ętheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #31
Mojo68
Ten Point

My place is across a dirt road from a place that runs sheep. They have GP dogs to protect the sheep but they have too many dogs. The dogs begin to wander around and leave the sheep when they get bored. I have had them get on my place and I believe they run off deer. While turkey hunting last spring with my son, we had two GP chase our calves. I went to the owner and told him what happened and he got rid of those two dogs. If the dogs have a job I believe they will stay where they belong but if there are too many they wander.
Mojo68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #32
VictorG830
Six Point

Hunt In: RJ Ranch

The place I hunt the neighbor has goats and sheep ... he has two huge white dogs they have are always I mean always with the goats but I have had them on my trail cam cruzing thru but never affected the deer patterns... !

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
VictorG830 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #33
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by simek View Post
I too had a bad experience with goats one time. Never again.
Were you wearing rubber boots at the time.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #34
Brett C
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Angelo, Colorado , Kansas,,New Mexico,Van Zant co.Henderson co.

Our place has two . Their a pain ! I like most dogs but they have ruined several hunts for me barking . I think I'm gonna start taking dog food with me & if their close by I'll either hunt a different stand or feed them away from the stand as far as I can.
Brett C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #35
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I hunted a place in junction for 3 yrs that had several of them. They weren't a problem but I wouldn't let my dog have free reign if they are close. My lease was large and we didn't have much close interaction with them. Once they traveled through our camp on a hot summer day. I poured some water ina bowl for them and they wouldn't touch it. Very stand offish dogs those ones were. I never heard them bark.
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #36
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Had them when I was a kid. They will kill any dogs. Coyote killing machines. Unless they think something is dangerous to their herd I can't see them chasing it
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #37
sureshotcharlie
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Centerville, Texas

My neighbor has one. His goes ape **** when it hears coyotes and walks a few hundred yards in their direction to get a sense for how far away they are. Great dogs but they do bark a lot!!! Mostly at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sureshotcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #38
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I've hunted around them and personally don't like them at all. I've never felt at ease when walking in/out around them because they were fairly aggressive. I'm sure there are some great ones, but the few I've been around were hard to trust.
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #39
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

I had a Great Pyrenees for 13 years. Had a character similar to mature Golden Retrievers I've been around.

Never chased a deer, was trusted by and friendly with llamas, and allowed small kids to do anything to him. He ignored cats like they didn't exist, but he always killed every rabbit and squirrel he could catch.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #40
Laner7
Eight Point

Not a GP, but our Anatolian Shepherd use to roam with our horses and wouldn't leave there side. Never chased a deer, but would whoop any other dogs @** if it was out there. Very protective, he would lick the truck and ground clean if you had a dead deer around. Just to keep predators away.

Last edited by Laner7; 01-05-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Laner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
You must have been leasing from my Uncle David (East of Caddo a couple of miles on south side of Hwy 180)
Sure was.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #42
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
We've been 100% successful doing just that since 2008 with 11 pens. Goat wire or panels..
You should buy lottery tickets
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #43
macoop
Ten Point

I have witnessed them chasing deer on my place more than once. I talked to the land owner over a mile away and he didn't know they were roaming??? He took care of it before I did.
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #44
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Nothing like a young goat with his head stuck in a feed pen panel to ruin opening morning.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top