DHanis area hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHanis area hunting?

Got a lead on a place in the Dhanis area and was trying to see what the hunting was like in the area. Caliber of deer numbers, how the turkey numbers were ect. It sounds like a pretty nice place but we have never hunted down that way so trying to do a little research. Appreciate any info yall can give.

I hunted just past it in Sabinal. Which side of the hwy is it? That area can generally produce some good deer. South of hwy will have better deer. We had decent numbers of turkey. Hogs were everywhere of course.

A shameless plug here, but if there are additional spots to fill I would love to find my way back to that area!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s been 10+ years since I hunted around D’Hanis, so not sure how the quality is these days. But one of the best chicken fried steaks in the country is at Bill and Rosa’s Steakhouse in D’Hanis. Makes me miss that place just thinking about it

Comment

As a kid I hunted there with my dad back in the 60’s. The ranch we hunted was about 9 miles north of town. There always was plenty of deer, but they were the normal whitetail for that area and time. A good doe would dress out around 90 lbs., and a decent buck around 110 to maybe 120lbs. Horns maybe scored in the 110 class. Typical hill country deer. I’m sure things have changed since then and perhaps with better management and feed practices you can find better quality deer. The rancher that owned the land was named Bonnar Rhode. He has since passed on and his son probably owns the ranch. His name was Walter. Good people.

Comment

DHanis area hunting?

I hunted out there for 5-6 years around 2004-2009 on 1,600 acres.

The turkeys were beyond belief. We had huge flocks of gobblers all with beards dragging the ground.

The deer hunting on the other hand left something to be desired. However the landowner has too many people on the place and too many cows.

Also a lot of big hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty sure its the south side of the hwy on the way out of Dhanis. I haven't been down there yet but hoping to go check it out in a week or so.

Will keep you in mind once i know a little more.
            Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 01-06-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Like hearing about the turkeys and I love chasing some long beards!

No livestock on the place supposedly so fingers crossed.

Comment

DHanis is a great place. There are some great deer in the area.

On the place I hunted in the area, the terrain looked like typical hill country on one side of the place (rocks, hilly, and scrub oaks), and other side looked like a south Texas mesquite flat. The deer seemed bigger than typical hill country deer, but not as big as typical S Texas deer. Our place had a fair number of pigs, but turkeys were hit or miss.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Nobody else out that way?

Comment

Just sent you a PM sorry for the delay.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                        It’s been 10+ years since I hunted around D’Hanis, so not sure how the quality is these days. But one of the best chicken fried steaks in the country is at Bill and Rosa’s Steakhouse in D’Hanis. Makes me miss that place just thinking about it
                        You need to get out more lol.

There specials are always good but there is much better CFS all over texas.

Best part about that area is going through Castroville and stopping at DZUIKS

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          Just sent you a PM sorry for the delay.
                          No problem man and appreciate it. Ready to get down there and see it. 1700 acres. Only think i am worried about is water....supposed to have a creek/river on it and some ponds just hoping they hold year round

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            No problem man and appreciate it. Ready to get down there and see it. 1700 acres. Only think i am worried about is water....supposed to have a creek/river on it and some ponds just hoping they hold year round
                            The place we have leased with house for Dove hunting has 1 pound and 1 big pond/lake its about 7-8 acres full it always has 2 acres of water in it. More on wet years. When it rains its a mess down there though.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                              You need to get out more lol.

There specials are always good but there is much better CFS all over texas.

Best part about that area is going through Castroville and stopping at DZUIKS
                              I am kinda with you on this. About Bill and Rosa’s, but more about Dzuiks.

Comment

Working...
                              X