rings and bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rings and bases?

What's the difference between expensive and cheap rings and bases? It seems like there's a huge price disparity for a fictitious "peace of mind" and I don't get the difference....or at least I've never had "failure" with the modestly priced set ups I've used.

The need to lap and not is the short answer.

Quality of materials and accuracy of machining is the difference between know manufacturers and ChiCom crap off of Amazon.

There are a few exceptions but you typically get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
      The need to lap and not is the short answer.

Quality of materials and accuracy of machining is the difference between know manufacturers and ChiCom crap off of Amazon.

There are a few exceptions but you typically get what you pay for.
      What he said ^^^^. Tighter tolerances, better ring to scope contact, better materials. We spend hundreds and thousands on a rifle, do the same for the scope and then we want to mount the two together with cheap, unknown parts.

How many times do you here about folks saying their gun won't group or it got bumped and lost zero? In many of those cases, it's a mount issue.

Comment

What are some good rings to use?

Do you still lap them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Burris Extreme and Talley, are good less expensive rings, I have not had any issues with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
            What are some good rings to use?

Do you still lap them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I pretty much stick to all Seekins for my rings. Great rings at a realistic price point. You can find them for $90-110 on sale instead of the $175-200 range many others charge.

Comment

In my experience Seekins are top of the line they a machined out of single stock then the cut the two rings in half almost no lapping required. Badger rings are my next choice but always require lapping. Both of these rings are very expensive. The intended use of the rifle should determine what rings you need. Short to med. range hunting rifle would not warrant a super expensive set of rings and bases unless you are really rough. LR & ELR rifles would need the best. this is just my opinion

Comment

I've had good luck with all the Nightforce rings I've had (probably 8-10 sets) and haven't lapped those. Seekins, ARC, Badger and Kelbly are companies that I would definitely buy from as well. Spuhr mounts are nice but over the top on price IMHO. I'm by no means saying that your scope will move on a $50 set of rings but not on a $150 set but it's also an extra $100 knowing that your setup is rigid and right and you tend to get what you pay for. It's worth every penny to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                  What's the difference between expensive and cheap rings and bases? It seems like there's a huge price disparity for a fictitious "peace of mind" and I don't get the difference....or at least I've never had "failure" with the modestly priced set ups I've used.
                  I've never had a failure or accuracy issues with good modestly priced mounts. Leupolds's dovetail setup is one of my favorites and is on most of my bolt actions. A lot of the people that buy the $$$$ rings are the same people that buy a Yeti for a day trip. Yes, both products are needed in some situations but your average person will never see the benefit. For better rings that have no alignment issues I really like the Burris XTR series. I have these on my LR setup and it shoots in the 1's with no drift issues.

Comment

Great info fellas....maybe I should re-think my rings/base purchase for my latest rifle. Definitely going to blow the budget a little, but I'll survive.

Comment

I’ll add Leupold steel rings, Talley steel and Warne rings to the list. I also like the Talley light weight rings.

For one piece LaRue and Geissele make some amazing stuff.

Comment

I use warne maxima rings on just about all my guns and have had 0 issues. I’m not a long range precision manbunner though

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                          I use warne maxima rings on just about all my guns and have had 0 issues. I’m not a long range precision manbunner though

Now that’s funny right there!!! [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Comment

Pony up to good rings and be done with it. $100+ for a set of Seekins isn’t too pricey and you won’t have to worry about it. It’s too vital of a connection to screw around with.

I run almost all ARC or RRS. A couple of NF unimounts. No issues ever.

Comment

Working...
                            X