Reloading??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading??

Guys, I need to find a hobby around the house to de-stress. I’m a pretty naturally high strung fella, and have trouble turning the brain off. We have 4 kids under 9, the youngest 2 are 2yo twins that have been pretty hard in general. Sickness, development delays etc, so its work then work then sleep, repeat.
    (Not sure how my wife has done it this long, very blessed to have her)

I can’t seem to get outta the house now for any of my outdoor stress relieving activities, and was wondering if you guys find reloading relaxing? Thinking about getting into it as a stress relief maybe...?

Thanks in advance!

I do.

But I don't have any kids and my free time can be hours uninterrupted. I could see reloading not being as stress free for you.

Comment

It can be fun, relaxing, rewarding, challenging, frustrating and can become an expensive hobby if you allow it....ask me how I know.

IMO-it sounds like you have a full plate.

One other consideration is where you'll be performing the work. Two things are critical for safety, nearly uninterrupted time so that you can focus on the task and that it's locked away from the little ones.

Another route to consider is getting a nice and accurate rim fire or two. You can have as much fun at the range while shooting is inexpensive and the above mentioned issues with reloading can be put off for a few years.

I have a cz 17hrm and a heavy barreled savage in a target stock in 22lr.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate that guys. Plate is full. No doubt. But so is my stress level , and then some.

Comment

You can have some real fun with rimfires, most every big range has 22lr matches ranging from beginner to expert.

Here's my 22lr and the 17hmr is on the left of 3. One other option for good fun inexpensive shooting would be a .223. Lots of ammo from dirt cheap to quality target ammo and hunting ammo.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200301-074755_Photos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	24609468Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200301-074844_Photos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	24609469

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to reload, but in order to enjoy it you have to be able to go shoot it. It’s fun, rewarding and can be baffling at the same time. As stated above, it can get expensive and you need a place to set it up to work. With 4 little ones roaming around, it may be hard for them to keep their hands off it.

Comment

I guess time to shoot is an awfully critical part. Good point.

Comment

Build custom arrows and bolts for bows and crossbows . Take a few orders off here and make a little money. Very few people build bolts for crossbows

Comment

I feel for ya, 3 little boys here and our youngest is almost 3 and behind on speech.
                  My reloading stuff has been put away for 5 years or more. As stated above, it’s very critical for both safety and accuracy to have a block of uninterrupted time and a place to work.
                  This year I finally made space in the garage and have been knocking out little projects and organizing tools and the like.
                  My wife and I own a cabinet and Millwork business as well as some residential and commercial rental property, so it’s go go and more go. After work, life and kids it’s hard to focus and decompress.
                  I tried the same thing with fly tying and it worked well, but I hit a point where I had a lot of flies, but I needed to go fishing and use them.
                  Couple of things I’ve found is to have a night mid week to do a scheduled activity like an archery or trap league. Something that requires a small amount of maintenance time outside that night out.
                  Another thing I’ve found is reading adventure hunting books, listening to podcasts journaling hunting adventures or activities I’m trying to learn.
                  Lastly, some light meditation has been helpful. Mettaverse music channel on YouTube has some great stuff that’s been helpful in finding that clear head and relaxation I was missing.
                  Reloading is a ton of fun and cool, but if you’re situation is as similar as it sounds to mine, I’d slowly acquire the necessary tools and components, but not expect it to be relaxing at first.

Comment

Reloading is something that should not be interrupted. If you do you might double charge a round or forget a step and stick a bullet in the barrel. If interruptions are possible, find another hobby.

Comment

TxTourist, Very similar indeed. Quite honestly, Just reaching my limit and looking for an at-home outlet.
                      Last edited by JLivi1224; 03-01-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Maybe leather working? Or carving duck decoys

Comment

How about a home gym. Benefits you and the wife. Better stress reliever than reloading IMO.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            How about a home gym. Benefits you and the wife. Better stress reliever than reloading IMO.

Sierracharlie out…
                            Yeah I have been thinking about this as well. Have a Ben h and dumbbells but thinking heavily about adding some actual equipment

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                              Yeah I have been thinking about this as well. Have a Ben h and dumbbells but thinking heavily about adding some actual equipment

If I had the space I’d be building one for sure.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X