Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck damaged at dealership

OK Gents, I need some advice.
    I won’t name the dealership YET!!! Because after going up the chain of command, they said they will repair it.
    Went in for an oil change and when my truck was ready, I noticed two large red paint stains in the driver door, when I looked closer it was dented and two areas where the paint was chipped, I ran back and got the service guy and showed it to him. He told me to pull around the front, when I examined the truck to find ANOTHER SCRATCH (long dent) like it was rubbed against something on the rear passenger side of the bed as well....
    At this point I’m losing my MFing mind....
    The service manager comes and says they will take care of it, then shortly after speaking to the service guy, he comes back and says they’ll fix the door, but NOT the scratch in the back because it was there before !!!!! ***!!! I tried to keem my calm, but I did drop a couple of F bombs.....

I asked for his manager, who was an older, nicer gentleman and after he listened to both of us and me tell him the truck is my baby and I barely drive it and take great care of it, he said he’ll take care of both dents and smiles!!!!
    I was very upset up to this point and asked him to put it in writing and he did....

So, at this point, my only concern is they may not do a good job because it’s a free and caused by them and just do a sloppy job where the damage will show or the paint not match, etc.

My question is,
    what do I need to do between now and when I drop off the truck on Monday and what should I tell them to ensure they return it back to me like it was before?!!
    This is going to ruin my weekend, all I can think of is them not repair the dents and chips properly and I’ll be stuck with a half*****ed job.
    Last edited by ATI; 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM. Reason: Misc

Tell them if it is not fixed to your satisfaction, your lawyer will be next in contacting them, even if you do not have one. threaten until they do it right. Go up the chain of command until you reach corporate before you get a lawyer.

Comment

I would want an independent shop to perform repairs. Chances are high you’ll get subpar work from them.

Comment

I would have left it there and drove off in a loaner, it would be at the repair shop of my choice and my insurance company would be involved. That should be a good start.

Comment

First off...don't let it steal anymore of your joy. Had that happen to my ZL1 when I took it if for the free oil change. The car is very specific & must hit the lift points with pin point accuracy & they separated the side skirts by improper location. After this deal, I skipped the next free oil change & did it myself at my preferred mechanics shop since he had a drive on lift. I'm done using the dealership for preventive maintenance & trust my mechanic. The mistake was so rookie & although it happens, i suspect the tech was likely reprimanded severely & even fired. Their body shop is fantastic & fixed it like new. Since it's a truck & not going to have extremely intrinsic long term value, I wouldn't worry about diminished value for the repairs needed but a few others may not agree.

Most of those scratches / dents can be fixed to where you will not be able to tell if they have a quality body shop. If it eases your concern, go talk to the GM & give your expectations. I specifically asked for their best guy. This is a topic that comes up often on car forums. If you plan to use the same dealer in the future Most say to wash the car beforehand & do a walk around so both parties know the condition before the work begins. Look, it's Pretty easy to say that damage was already there & most dealers bail on helping in your situation, so I would be happy they are taking the blame & sounds like you have a solid dealer.

Comment

Ouch! I’m sorry to hear about the dealer’s damage to your truck.

My recommendation is that, if you are able, perform your own oil changes. It’s pretty simple and does not take too much time. Plus, doing the work yourself ensures that it is being done correctly. With no chance for other issues.

Comment

That sucks. I would give them a chance to make it right. If it's not done to your satisfaction then lawyer up

Comment

Hope they make it right....we had a ham fisted lube tech reach into our car while it was on a lift. Huge black grease stains on the tan seat. The manager tried the "it was already there bit". I asked him how they got the tires off with the wheel locks on it. (Wheel lock was in glovebox) It was at that point that bubba the mechanic admitted to opening the passenger door and putting his hand down on the seat. We got all the seats cleaned for free. But I wanted to pull a burnadell on both of em!

Comment

Get it repaired. Send invoice to said dealership.

Comment

I hate to go the road of a lawyer but you may have to try that.

Comment

Had this happen to my wife’s previous car. One of the techs had something metal in his pocket and as he was exiting the driver seat gouged a 6-8” gash in the leather wrapped steering wheel.

After a brief chat with the service manager and me telling him I didn’t care if he had to drive to the North Pole to find a steering wheel to replace it, he obliged and they repaired it properly. While I understand paint and body are two totally different things than replacing a steering wheel, they replaced it right because they didn’t want their name smeared. And with today’s social media it would be nothing to spread photographic evidence of their intentional sub-par work.

Now with that being said and they do a crap job, they deserve everything they will get for that kinda work.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I took my truck in for service recently and noticed the service manager taking pics of the outside of my truck. I guess I know why now.

Comment

Let them fix it. Chances are they are just going to run it through their body shop like any other repair. I doubt they go to their body man and tell them to do a half *** job on your truck. It’s not a conspiracy. Been there done that.

Comment

If it’s a reputable shop , give them a chance to make it right... You obviously trusted them enough to change your oil. I work in the automotive industry and see this stuff all the time. Things happen and then sometimes things don’t happen and people are looking for something for free. Vehicles are big investments and people are very particular. Keep calm and if they are willing to work with you then I’m sure they will correct it. If it isn’t up to your standards then let them know. Just move up the management chain. No need to lawyer up .... in my opinion

Comment

They will fix it like any other repair they have in the shop because there is going to be a warranty that goes along with the work. If they already have to fix it once, chances are they don't want to fix it a second time. I'm sure this is very frustrating but it sounds like they are going to take care of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X