Soybean????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybean????

Due to corn prices a guy at the lease suggested feeding soybeans.
    I have not had any experience with it and was wondering the pros and cons.
    So please by all means fill me in. Thanks

I have been feeding soybeans since May and have seen a lot of activity around my feeders. I plan on mixing them with corn until I run out of soybeans. Not much help I guess.... I have heard that they are extremely high in protein. I guess I should add that I got about 6000 lbs for a good deal
    Last edited by raiderelkhunter; 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Soybeans cost twice as much as corn. Unless you're wanting to use it a s supplement, I'd stick with corn.

Comment

Plus get them roasted if you plan on getting some cause they wont swell as easily

Comment

Beans are over 20% protein, and used to be an alternative to pelletized protein because they were lower in cost. That is not the case anymore. We fed them as a 50/50 mix with corn and beans because the cows would not mess with them and the spinner feeders fed them. I do know that it takes a while to get the deer to eat beans. I would recommend mixing them with corn at least initially.

Comment

plant 'em....

Comment

If you can afford soybeans, buy roasted and feed them. Depending on where they're from, they can have up to 40% crude protein. The deer can only eat 8 oz/100lbs body weight vs 16 oz/100lbs each day. The beans are very hot on the belly because such a high protein content. The only thing you don't get vs the protein is the trace minerals. The deer absolutley love them and if you want to feed them instead of corn, go for it.

Comment

Did I read that right.....Cows wont eat them?

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                  Did I read that right.....Cows wont eat them?
                  THey would, but can't pick them up off the ground.

Comment

I have done the 50/50 mix for several years off and on with good results. Some deer seem to love them and others seem to need to get use to them.

Comment

soybeans cost nearly 3 times as much as corn..

Comment

Working...
                      X