Opinions on Huntsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Huntsville

My daughter who will be a sophmore in college wants to move to Huntsville - Sam Houston State. I'm not very familiar with Huntsville ... is it a "safe" place?

Should be pretty safe. Its where Death Row is located.

Comment

My nephew is a graduate of SHSU and officer with SHSU PD. I'd check with Huntsville PD and SHSU PD for insight into trouble areas (every place has them) and residential areas to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
        My nephew is a graduate of SHSU and officer with SHSU PD. I'd check with Huntsville PD and SHSU PD for insight into trouble areas (every place has them) and residential areas to avoid.
        Great idea. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Cheri View Post
          My daughter who will be a sophmore in college wants to move to Huntsville - Sam Houston State. I'm not very familiar with Huntsville ... is it a "safe" place?
          Huntsville is very safe...not much crime at all. I worked for the Sheriffs office for awhile before moving down to Conroe. Good school and good place to live. My old roommate is the Captain for SHSU PD. I still attend lots of conferences at Sam. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions I can answer.

Comment

I went to grad. school there and I thought it was a great town. The university is deceptively large for the size of the town...around 17,000 last I checked. There are some bad areas, but I felt safe. Lived in a house 2 blocks from campus for $375 a month too! You can get a lot of education for your buck there.

Comment

I graduated from Sam back in '97. I don't remember any crime problems back then. And, we had A LOT of fun those 4.5 years!

Comment

Better than most. Whatever is in your daughter's heart will make it safe or not.

Comment

I have a buddy that goes there he hasnt had any trouble...Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                    I graduated from Sam back in '97. I don't remember any crime problems back then. And, we had A LOT of fun those 4.5 years!
                    It only took you 4.5 yrs. Dang son, you worked quick.

It's a good area. Has the usual small town type atmosphere. You can get into as little or as much as you would like. Lots of friends still live and work in the area!

Comment

My oldest son will be starting his Junior year there this semester. With that, he absolutely loves the school. He has never mentioned any danger or major excitement other than when the two prisoners escaped and he could see the place where the ditched the truck from his apartment...

Bdog, 375 month? He said he couldn't find anything that cheap....

Comment

One of my cousins (girl) graduated from SHSU a few years ago. She lived there all 4 years, never had a problem. She is from Sugarland and liked it so much she rarely went home on the weekend.

Comment

Shsu

Originally posted by Reckless Cheri View Post
                          It was pretty safe back in my day and I have a niece there now. She lived in the Freshman dorms last year and loved it with no problems. My other niece went there as well 5 years ago and had no problems then either.

Comment

All good reports ... that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Comment

There's a bunch of prisons there, but the prisoners are all locked up. Because of the prisons, there are tons of security officers there. Much of the population even. It's pretty dog gone safe around there.

Comment

Working...
                              X