Paper tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper tuning question

If you paper tune your bow, and say you increase the draw weight, does that throw off the paper tuning? I took my bow to North Texas Archery and had it paper tuned, and its shooting great, and I have confidence in my setup and shooting. But, I would like to increase the draw weight. If I adjust the draw weight, and it does throw off the tuning, then I will just leave it.

I dont papertune at all anymore, With most of todays bows, Walk Back Tuning serves fine.

Comment

Increasing poundage WILL probably change the tune. Arrow spine will determine how much.

Comment

When you had it paper tuned, did you shoot it through paper or did an archery Tech shoot it? Never let another person paper tune your bow.. It hardly ever works. It will tune for them but not for you... It will tell you that you may have bad form...

But to answer your question. Yes it could change the arrow flight. It depends on how much weight you are going up and if your arrows have have the right spine. Also it depends if you can shoot the differance....

Paper tuning is so over rated !!!!!!!

Comment

It will change the arrow spine, maybe enough to need re-tuning, maybe not. I would shoot some field tipped arrows and some broadhead arrows at the current draw weight. Crank up the draw weight to where you want it, shoot some field tipped arrows and some broadhead tipped arrows. As long as the field tipped arrows and broadhead arrows group the same as before you should be o.k.

Comment

Glad to see that someone agrees with me X! People look at me like i am nuts when I tell them that

Comment

Rattler - I remember a thread about that a little while ago, I will do a search

Golden Eagle - I looked up the stats on my current arrows, when I was looking to see the max weight of broadhead they can handle, and I recall the max poundage on my arrows to be 65 lbs. I currently have the bow set at 63.
              Xspot - Fay at NTA setup and paper tuned my first bow, and I was completely satisfied with it, and had no problems with it. My current bow has no problems, I just was kicking around the idea of increasing a little. I have only been bow hunting for a few years, so when I am in doubt I look for help here.

Ken - I will give that a try

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate your help

Comment

Wellk Pickaspot....... I have paper tuned many bows for people, at that time I was working in an archery shop, trying to make the shop $$$..... let me tune your bow and I will get a bullet hole.. 95% of the time the bow owners that shoot the bow after someone else paper tunes will NOT get a bullet hole... But I just got 30$ from you to tune it....

I have sat and watched people papertune their bows for hours and never get a bullet hole... I ask them if I can look at it and shoot it.... I shoot it and perfect bullet hole.. I hand it back and tell them to learn to shoot a bow correctly..... But that was then.... I dont even look at a paper tunner anymore....

Comment

X-Spot - I understand what you are saying about the tuning, and how it could be the shooter and not the setup. My current setup, I get consistent tight groupings on both field points and broadheads without having to adjust my sights between the two. For that reason, if making any change to the draw weight has the potential to mess up what I am currently extremely happy with, then its not worth it.

Comment

your arrow spine will change when you increase the poundage and /or change the lenghth of the arrows

Comment

If your arrows are spined for #65 max and your shooting #63, I would just leave it alone. You aren't going to gain much with #2.

X, I know what your saying. I had a friend that couldn't get a bullet hole to save his life. I grabbed the bow and shot a bullet hole right off the bat.

Comment

atexx2 - you lost me on "and/or change the length of the arrows", what do you mean?

Comment

If everything is shooting great at 63# then leave it alone.. 2# is not going to do much.... It will add about 2 fps to arrow speed and I might screw up your arrow flight.... Be happy, Shut up and shoot.. LOL

Comment

X-Spot - LOL, that is what I was starting to think too sir. Thank you

Comment

Whenever you add/decrease bow poundage, add or remover arrow point weight and cutt off arrow length.. they all affect arrow spine, which deals with arrow flight....

Comment

Working...
                              X