178 ELD-x/308 Win.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

178 ELD-x/308 Win.

Anyone hand loading this bullet in there 308? Info is very very limited. I thought about trying 180grain charge weights.

Just interested in what y’all are using(powders) and how well it works. Accuracy & FPS.

My rifle shoots the 175 grain Sierra match Kings very well. And wanted a bullet that’s good for long range hunting and I really like this bullet in my 6.5CM. So want to use it in my 308.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

I’m running 43gr Varget and F210m in Lapua cases at 2604 FPS

Comment

Lapua brass, BR2 primer, 43.3 Varget, OAL 2.815, 2657 FPS, 0.36 group at 100 was my best, but it generally shoots about 1/2”. It works for me and my buddy but I would work up for your rifle. NEVER USE POSTED DATA

Comment

Varget is a great choice. Book max is 45 gr from Hodgdon, and you will need a drop tube once you get to the upper end unless you’re loading long. I’ve had good luck starting around 44.0 gr and working up. You should find a node fairly quick. If you’re wanting to start lower, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a load that shoots around the 43-43.5 gr Mark. Velocity will be dependent on barrel length.
        Last edited by cblackall; 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

178 ELD-x/308 Win.

Thanks guys!!! This info is right on par of what I have found on line. This will be out of a 26” tube.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

What's your twist on the barrel?

I'm shooting a proof carbon 1-10 20" on a stiller action. I'm loading 168gr ELD Match with Alliant Powder 2000-MR at 48.1gr with BR-2 primers in Federal brass at a OAL of 2.835". This combination is yielding a little over 2800 fps on average and a dime completely covers up 5 consecutive shots in a row at 100 yards.

It's not the exact bullet you spec'd but I know deer don't like it and steel rings at 1000 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
              What's your twist on the barrel?

I'm shooting a proof carbon 1-10 20" on a stiller action. I'm loading 168gr ELD Match with Alliant Powder 2000-MR at 48.1gr with BR-2 primers in Federal brass at a OAL of 2.835". This combination is yielding a little over 2800 fps on average and a dime completely covers up 5 consecutive shots in a row at 100 yards.

It's not the exact bullet you spec'd but I know deer don't like it and steel rings at 1000 yards.

1:12 26” tube. Here is 5 shots @ 100. 175s SMK

Comment

The varget shot great at lower velocities the IMR4350 shot great at the higher velocities. Going to go with the 4350.

Comment

Had good luck with imr4064 and 178gr bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Had good luck with imr4064 and 178gr bullets.

Yes. I want to try it also.

Comment

Working...
                    X