Smoker Build/ Dad Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Build/ Dad Time

Growing up on a small farm/ranch, we always had some type of project going on. When dad and grandad wanted something they always built it rather than buying. Some of my best memories was working in the shop building things with them. We built plows, hydraulic hay beds, tools, and many gates and corner braces. Our latest project is dad decided he wants a smoker mounted on a trailer. We have built a few smokers and grills in the past but this definitely our best.

We decided try out a top flow design similar to a jambo or outlaw with an insulated fire box. The cook chamber is 24"x60". The fire box is 22x22" inside with 2" of insulation around it. The trailer we have it on now is temporary and it will eventually be mounted on a tandem trailer. We have a 16' trailer that we are going to cut down to 12' and mount another grill along with some propane burners.
    I have cooked in it a couple of times and this is by far the best smoker I've ever run. I'm hoping to make it my new comp rig.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Very nice.

Comment

I'm thinking about clear coating with high temp clear coat and leaving it rust colored.

We cooked a brisket on Sunday. Turned out great.

Last edited by coldgas; 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

That Brisket looks awesome. Jealous of your smoker for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
          I'm thinking about clear coating with high temp clear coat and leaving it rust colored.

We cooked a brisket on Sunday. Turned out great.

Wow...nice smoke ring. Looks like it’s gonna work out well. Great build. Interesting that you want to keep it rust colored and clear coat 🤔

Comment

wow, what a smoke ring... awesome. for sure

Comment

awesome!

Comment

If you don't clear coat it will remain rust colored!!!

Very nice similar style to a jambo smoker. I like how you have the stack where you can rotate it based on the wind.

Comment

Very nice--other than the stack being on the wrong side. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                    If you don't clear coat it will remain rust colored!!!

Very nice similar style to a jambo smoker. I like how you have the stack where you can rotate it based on the wind.
                    Lol. I know that sounds off. I dont want more rust. I like the look of the new metal combined with the old. Regardless my dad will want to blast and paint it.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      Very nice--other than the stack being on the wrong side. :-)
                      Thanks. We discussed doing a reverse flow but we already have a reverse cabinet.

Comment

Thanks. We discussed doing a reverse flow but we already have a reverse cabinet.

I have done reverse flow on my last two and really like them. However, there is something to be said for traditional. Good work!

Comment

Growing up on a small farm/ranch, we always had some type of project going on. When dad and grandad wanted something they always built it rather than buying. Some of my best memories was working in the shop building things with them. We built plows, hydraulic hay beds, tools, and many gates and corner braces. Our latest project is dad decided he wants a smoker mounted on a trailer. We have built a few smokers and grills in the past but this definitely our best.

We decided try out a top flow design similar to a jambo or outlaw with an insulated fire box. The cook chamber is 24"x60". The fire box is 22x22" inside with 2" of insulation around it. The trailer we have it on now is temporary and it will eventually be mounted on a tandem trailer. We have a 16' trailer that we are going to cut down to 12' and mount another grill along with some propane burners.
                          I have cooked in it a couple of times and this is by far the best smoker I've ever run. I'm hoping to make it my new comp rig.

Very nice, I like a big firebox on a smoker, well done!

Comment

Real nice!

Comment

Working...
                            X