No announcement yet.

1031 exchange advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assist many of my clients with 1031 exchanges and provide 1031 exchange services to non-clients. Best advice I can give is to have either an attorney or CPA (or both, really) that works with 1031/1033 exchanges on a regular basis to guide you through it and make sure it is done properly. Like most things that land on my desk, it's a lot less expensive to do it the right way first instead of having to "fix" it down the road. Beware, there is quite a bit of misinformation on this thread...

Comment

If you think think your president wont get rid of capital gains or raise taxes, you can 1031. I just wouldn't make it your future residence.

CPA told me to just pay the taxes now while you know what they are. Assuming they wont reduce taxes. If you never plan on selling the other property, then you wont have to worry about taxes, so then use a 1031 exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
        You are correct. I don't even think it is possible to take a portion and roll it forward and be able to be taxed on a portion. I have been told it is an "all or none" deal. I too would consult a CPA that is familiar with the most up to date regulations. I just assumed if they were paying 10x over what he had in the property that he was more then likely the outright owner.
        It is certainly allowed to do a partial 1031 (new property is lower value than sold property). But the amount of any difference is 100% taxable. You don't get to allocate cost basis to it.

Comment

Dang man you have been really lucky with property but can you please get some and hang on to it for awhile so I can come poach some deer

Comment

Wow great responses. I see I'm not the only one not so clear on this.

Both properties can be treated as Lake Houses easily.

The new one is 100K more compared to my sell. So I'm coming up with another 100k cash on my end.

When and if I do sell the new purchase, will I then have to deal with these taxes? They don't just go away huh. So they could be as much as 40% someday...if I sell?

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
              I assist many of my clients with 1031 exchanges and provide 1031 exchange services to non-clients. Best advice I can give is to have either an attorney or CPA (or both, really) that works with 1031/1033 exchanges on a regular basis to guide you through it and make sure it is done properly. Like most things that land on my desk, it's a lot less expensive to do it the right way first instead of having to "fix" it down the road. Beware, there is quite a bit of misinformation on this thread...
              This right here. Call Wes.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post

Its 1000% more than what I have in it over last 2 years including purchase.

Golf clap... That's a huge win. Anything lake front or close is completely insane currently. My mom is in real estate on Lake Whitney and it's out of control. Their neighborhood hadn't sold a lot in years and probably only 2-3 houses built in the last decade. The developer has sold a boat load in the last 18 months and for silly money.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  It is certainly allowed to do a partial 1031 (new property is lower value than sold property). But the amount of any difference is 100% taxable. You don't get to allocate cost basis to it.
                  Again, I am not claiming to know his specific situation or if what I was told is correct. The example I was told that if there were multiple owners in a property and they elected to sell a property (call it 5 owners each own 20% undivided) that 4 people couldn't roll their money in a 1031 if owner #5 wanted to cash out. I didn't fact check and was solely going off what someone said. As I said, I would get a CPA who handles this on a daily basis. He will need an intermediary anyways to "claim" the funds in the interim before he can get the other property closed on. Congrats! Sounds like you hit a homerun.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                    Wow great responses. I see I'm not the only one not so clear on this.

Both properties can be treated as Lake Houses easily.

The new one is 100K more compared to my sell. So I'm coming up with another 100k cash on my end.

When and if I do sell the new purchase, will I then have to deal with these taxes? They don't just go away huh. So they could be as much as 40% someday...if I sell?
                    Rule #1. Defer taxes until you die....or even longer if possible. [emoji6]

My guess is that the "they" will (try to) limit the amount eligible for 1031 deferrals. They won't eliminate it altogether. They are targeting the gains for the "rich". Just don't get too rich and you'll be fine! What lake are you looking at for the new place?

Comment

Winner

Comment

Going thru it now. Been a slow process with our title company.

We are using some of the “excess” money to place improved fixtures on the land also.
                        Fences, roads, gates, cattle guard, etc. Fixtures.

Not sure about improving lake property.

Comment

We just did one a year ago. The last sentence above is dead on. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                            Right.

We are about to do one on a property we bought through an exchange, its too complicated for me to worry about lol.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              I use this company. They have been great to work with.

https://www.ipx1031.com/
                              Us too.

Carl Pikus was great to deal with.

Amen.

It's amazing how many 'experts' go on the internet and guess....

Comment

Working...
                              X