Feed Pens and Cattle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Pens and Cattle!

Anyone have any great ideas to keep cows out of my protein pen? I'm getting on a new deer lease and they have cows that have been notorious for getting into the feed pens and cleaning out all the corn and protein.

I have been told that the 4' hog panels don't work and they find a way over it. Could try 3 strand barbed wire but I would like to keep the hogs and javelinas out of the protein pen as well. Other thoughts were to put one strand of barbed wire or electric fence on top of the 4' hog panels but I was told that the land owner is not a fan of that approach. The guys out there now are currently using the taller cattle panels/pens but this is both costly and keeps the smaller fawns out.

use the hog panel and one strand of barbed wire six inches above the hog panel and stretch it tight, tight . tight. If you are feeding free choice try the taller panels with barbed wire.

Comment

Buddy's place down south they have to use the 5' heavy duty panels that pin together and even then the cows will get in sometimes, so I know they are costly but would be cheaper in the long run than having to replace feeders and spilt protein.

Comment

Use corner posts, run 5 strands of wire to keep the cows out then add hog panel to keep the hogs out. Make it big.

Comment

Discuss aging, scoring, management ideas and all things related to improving hunting conditions

Comment

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
            use the hog panel and one strand of barbed wire six inches above the hog panel and stretch it tight, tight . tight. If you are feeding free choice try the taller panels with barbed wire.
            My only concern with that approach was deer possibly getting their legs caught.

Comment

Cattle panels with barbed wire right at the top of the panel. No more than an inch space from the panels. This will greatly reduce the chance of a deer leg getting caught.

I’ve had a deer get caught in a 3 strand fence. Wire was at 12” 24” and 36”. It can still happen

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                Buddy's place down south they have to use the 5' heavy duty panels that pin together and even then the cows will get in sometimes, so I know they are costly but would be cheaper in the long run than having to replace feeders and spilt protein.
                THIS..ive hunted in maverick county for 10 yrs now.. we had to goto 5' panels and use lots of t-posts. problem is when it gets dry (and it will) the cows will get hungry and find a way in. and once they learn... the smaller panels with wire wont stop them.

Comment

Drought and repeat offenders are a nasty combo

Comment

Working...
                  X