No announcement yet.

First time fire forming brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to jamb into the lands on a properly chambered rifle. AI are designed so you can shoot regular factory ammunition.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      No need to jamb into the lands on a properly chambered rifle. AI are designed so you can shoot regular factory ammunition.

I know they are, I loaded these to contact the rifling so that I got slight opposing pressure on the bolt face to ensure that the case absorbed all the energy to ensure a quality form. It was just a personal preference of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have followed Nosler recomendations for AI cartridges and other wildcats and gotten good brass life. Nosler instructions for 280AI brass but instructions work for others

Start with standard .280 Remington cases.

Select a light load of a relatively fast powder (IMR4895 is great) from the standard .280 Remington data.

Seat the bullet well into the rifling so that it makes good contact with the lands when the cartridge is chambered. This holds the case against the bolt face and eliminates case stretching in the web area, a cause of case head separation.
        Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          I have followed Nosler recomendations for AI cartridges and other wildcats and gotten good brass life. Nosler instructions for 280AI brass but instructions work for others

https://www.nosler.com/280-ackley-improved
          that makes sense. thanks for sharing.

Comment

If you plan to shoot this rifle much you should really look into hydro-forming. This is what I went to for our 280AI's, get the same result without blowing components and keeping round count of barrel down.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              If you plan to shoot this rifle much you should really look into hydro-forming. This is what I went to for our 280AI's, get the same result without blowing components and keeping round count of barrel down.

The hydro forming is pretty sweet. Just $$$$

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                The hydro forming is pretty sweet. Just $$$$

Seems to me the $200 up front cost washes away pretty quick with savings in primers, powder and projectiles.

Comment

Working...
                X