Talpa WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talpa WMA

Has anyone ever Hunted the Talpa WMA (owned by CRMWD) which is located in between ballinger and talpa? Would love to hear what people have to say about the area! And all info is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

ttt as I’d like to know more info on this as well

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
      ttt as I’d like to know more info on this as well
      My dad works for CRMWD. so I’ve hunted this place once over the past 6 years. Other years he either hasn’t drawn a hunt through worrk or he has taken one of my other brothers (for him, he is able to take a guest because he works for CRMWD)I was hoping someone on here had some more info! But it’s not looking like I will get any info. I’ve had good luck in the past, but I’ve also heard the deer herd in that area was not looking good. I will update you on the hunt after November 17th!

Comment

Comment

I was raised about 8 miles from Talpa and have never heard of this place. Where is it?

Comment

My Dad worked for CRMWD for 22 years and we drew that hunt during the rut one year, I think I was a freshman in college, so about 12 or 13 years ago. When we went the herd was fantastic and I shot one a bruiser of an eight point. He was about 6.5 years old and a fighter. We went in eighth after daylight, me, my Dad, and my brother. Walked in the main road until we came to a draw, jumped three doe and decided to set up in the draw. My Dad hit the horns and it was less than five minutes and I heard rocks moving behind me where my brother was sitting, I just thought he was being loud. I looked to my right and saw the buck 40 yards behind several trees with no shot. He continued moving downwind and jumped a low fence, I did a mouth bleat, he stopped at about 80 yards, and I dropped him with my Ruger m77 .243 my Dad passed down to me. Turns out he almost ran over my brother but the buck was so ready to fight he never even saw my brother. Craziest thing I have ever witnessed.

We went back a few hours later and my brother shot an even bigger buck, we found a little blood but never recovered him.

Me and my Dad went back the next day to try and find his deer and we jumped a large group of deer with one giant buck that was literally herding the does and push them up into a patch of brush on top of a hill. My Dad dropped me off and kept driving around to keep them from hearing me. I followed them through the brush and dropped my sights on the big deer, but I had the scope power all the way up and decided not to take the shot because I didn’t want to take a chance at wounding such a big deer and there were so many deer moving through the brush it just wasn’t ethical. Sorry for the long read, but it was an unforgettable hunt. It is a really cool place with awesome terrain and several really big draws and hillsides which hold a lot of deer

This buck had scars all over him and a split ear, he was an old warrior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

From what I understand it is only open to employees now, but not sure

Comment

Originally posted by WesTex1 View Post
                From what I understand it is only open to employees now, but not sure

Awesome story! That gets me excited. We should be there during the rut this year. I hope we have that kinda luck!

You are right. Sorry everyone, my dad just sent me the packet and this is reserved for employees.

Comment

If you send me a pin I can show you a couple good spots

Comment

Working...
                  X