Gunbroker/ recouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunbroker/ recouse

So I agreed to buy some powder from a guy on gun broker ( I know, I over paid by a huge amount, that’s not the issue) he only accepts pay pal ( which it’s firearm related so if he didn’t send it I have no recourse) or money order, I am ok with that, kinda. But then after purchasing it he wants me to send the money order to a PO Box. I asked for him to take a picture of it with a piece of paper with today’s date, he refuses to answer my emails. He has 100 reviews with the vast majority A+. I have asked gunbroker if he don’t sent it, am I protected through them, they have failed to reply. So how many would send the money ? Again I know I over paid but that’s not the issue. I know I agreed to buy it, not sure how to cancel, or if I can.

Nope

Comment

The accepted payment methods should have been listed on the auction prior to you bidding. Gunbroker no longer allows people to advertise Paypal as one of the payment options, not that it matters now. The seller is also very likely breaking the law when he ships you the powder as only licensed hazmat shippers are even able to send powder, that said if he has good feedback and you knew the terms of the listing prior to bidding I'd send him the funds.

Comment

Your six sense is kicking in, don't send it. What's the worst that can happen bad feedback? Big deal. Plus like you said you over paid anyway.

Comment

Pass

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
            Your six sense is kicking in, don't send it. What's the worst that can happen bad feedback? Big deal. Plus like you said you over paid anyway.
            As a seller on Gunbroker, I hate this though process. All the terms of the sale should/would have been available to the buyer PRIOR to bidding. If he wished to utilize a different payment method he should have reached out to the seller before placing a bid on the item. If he fails to pay, the seller will need to go through the non-paying bidder process to get back the fees and taxes Gunbroker charged him on the listing and then relist the item and wait another 7 days (assuming it was an auction and not a buy-now) for it to sell again. If he has good feedback, the odds that he randomly decided now would be a good time to scam someone are very low, especially if we're talking about a pound of powder.

Comment

I have used gunbroker for years, but now days so many of the listing scream scam. I haven't bought anying in the last year, but if i do I'm going to check out the listing carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                As a seller on Gunbroker, I hate this though process. All the terms of the sale should/would have been available to the buyer PRIOR to bidding. If he wished to utilize a different payment method he should have reached out to the seller before placing a bid on the item. If he fails to pay, the seller will need to go through the non-paying bidder process to get back the fees and taxes Gunbroker charged him on the listing and then relist the item and wait another 7 days (assuming it was an auction and not a buy-now) for it to sell again. If he has good feedback, the odds that he randomly decided now would be a good time to scam someone are very low, especially if we're talking about a pound of powder.
                What he says. Gunbroker is different than buying stuff on forums. I have bought tons of stuff and never had an issue. I would think the process to sell on gunbroker would deter a lot folks anyway. It’s not like you just sign up and start selling.

Comment

Yes I did know the payment terms. Money order is fine. The thing I didn’t know was he uses a PO Box instead of a physical address. Won’t reply to emails, won’t send picture with date. No store address, home address or anything. If he doesn’t ship how do I track him down. And my main question is does gunbroker protect you if he doesn’t ship ? Or does the money order protect you if not recieved ? Talking a few pounds of powder, and Not asking what the seller has to go through if I don’t pay, I am asking what recourse I have if seller doesn’t ship ?
                  Last edited by critter69; 12-24-2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    Yes I did know the payment terms. Money order is fine. The thing I didn’t know was he uses a PO Box instead of a physical address. Won’t reply to emails, won’t send picture with date. No store address, home address or anything. If he doesn’t ship how do I track him down. And my main question is does gunbroker protect you if he doesn’t ship ? Or does the money order protect you if not recieved ?
                    No, you essentially have no protections. Lots of people think USPS money orders are safer than paypal etc as there's a notion that it would account to mail fraud if you got scammed, but good luck getting the feds to actually investigate and prosecute on that one. The fact he hasn't provided a home address for you to mail the MO to is not sufficient to back out of a transaction in my opinion, nor is your ignored request for more photos beyond what was already in the listing. I often times pack items to ship after I list the auction so once paid I can throw a label on and drop it in the mail, it would be a pain for me to unpack something to take photographs that the buyer decided they needed to ease their worries.

As for him not responding, that would be frustrating. If you go into your orders page you should be able to see his phone number, have you tried calling?

Comment

No, you essentially have no protections. Lots of people think USPS money orders are safer than paypal etc as there's a notion that it would account to mail fraud if you got scammed, but good luck getting the feds to actually investigate and prosecute on that one. The fact he hasn't provided a home address for you to mail the MO to is not sufficient to back out of a transaction in my opinion, nor is your ignored request for more photos beyond what was already in the listing. I often times pack items to ship after I list the auction so once paid I can throw a label on and drop it in the mail, it would be a pain for me to unpack something to take photographs that the buyer decided they needed to ease their worries.

As for him not responding, that would be frustrating. If you go into your orders page you should be able to see his phone number, have you tried calling?
                      I have not tried calling, I do not see his phone number anywhere. Where would I find it ?

Comment

I have not tried calling, I do not see his phone number anywhere. Where would I find it ?
                        If he doesn’t list it you likely won’t find it.

Comment

Go to your won items page, click more options under proceed to checkout, select view seller contact info.

Comment

If he’s not willing to work with you, don’t send. If he leaves a negative feedback, fire back with an even more negative on him.

Comment

Listen to your gut. Cuz that’s where your brain is.

Comment

Working...
                              X