No announcement yet.

2022 High School Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son is a junior and decided not to play fall baseball this year because of football. Hasn’t touched a bat or ball since September. Says he has started off hitting better than normal and arm feels good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My kid said he never puts a ball down. He will “light toss” twice a year for 3 weeks. I would imagine there is not a one size fits all. Kinda like weight training- every person should have a custom training regiment. Many different body types and different end results desired.

Good luck to all the kids

Comment

Youngest is a preteen Select Ballplayer. Utility and pitcher. Loves the game and has studied "baseball knowledge" for years.

I require him to take 2 days off/week and the month of July. That's been our schedule since he was about 6. Other than that, we're working on skills all the time.

No injuries to speak of to date.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
          I couldn’t agree more….

Long toss programs are absolutely important for arm strength. But every bit as important is dedicated time off- recovery time. 6-8 weeks of flat out not touching a ball…..

Far more injuries are happening these days because of the year round playing, kids who only specialize in baseball and never give their arm time to heal. College coaches want athletes guys, athletes who know how to succeed and fail in different sports. So many kids play year round, get to college and are burned out when they figure out it’s a job….

Take the time off, do speed and agility along with strength training. THEN start a throwing program. They will come back stronger and healthier…..

Hurt arms in February are from overthrowing- or working through the progression too fast when you do start throwing. Not from taking 100% necessary time off.

But what do I know….. lowly college and high school coach….
          And if it makes you feel any better (because some people believe their select coach knows WAY more than their high school coach, who is probably some other kids select coach) almost 20 years of coaching select as well….
          Well Sh-t now that I feel better I will get my Yeti Cup and hang out with the other Dads in right field.

Comment

oldest is 14u right now, looking forward to following along here....

Comment

My oldest finished his college career playing in the MLB Draft League for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, and is now the grad assistant finishing his Masters. My youngest is about to turn 15 and play his first year of HS ball. I am super excited. My youngest was a bit of a late bloomer, and is just starting to tune it up. If he continues to progress he will be a pretty good ball player. My oldest peaked kinda early. He was a stud as a freshman, and just got marginally better as time went on. He had a great career though so I have no complaints. Hopefully my youngest follows in his footsteps.

As far as time off, I did see lots of kids through the years get hurt because they had not done any baseball work throughout the year, and show up the first day of practice and try to go all in. We hit 3-4 days a week, and throw about the same. Not pitch. Throw and take ground balls. We long toss about the same, but I can't long toss anymore, so I hit deep fly balls to him and have him throw them back. That kind of does two things-fly ball defense and long toss.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post

Long toss programs are absolutely important for arm strength. But every bit as important is dedicated time off- recovery time. 6-8 weeks of flat out not touching a ball…..

Far more injuries are happening these days because of the year round playing, kids who only specialize in baseball and never give their arm time to heal. College coaches want athletes guys, athletes who know how to succeed and fail in different sports. So many kids play year round, get to college and are burned out when they figure out it’s a job….

Take the time off, do speed and agility along with strength training. THEN start a throwing program. They will come back stronger and healthier…..

Hurt arms in February are from overthrowing- or working through the progression too fast when you do start throwing. Not from taking 100% necessary time off.

But what do I know….. lowly college and high school coach….
                And if it makes you feel any better (because some people believe their select coach knows WAY more than their high school coach, who is probably some other kids select coach) almost 20 years of coaching select as well….
                BOOM!

BUT, injuries also occur from poor mechanics. As well as the kids arm not being in shape and throwing on an elevated mound. WHich tears an arm down

Late December is not enough time to gear up a players arm IMO. That is 4-5 weeks of throwing and going from 0 to full game action and 60-80 pitches off the mound.

Long toss/bullpen buildup is essential and no arm is ready to get on a mound after just starting to throw 2-3 weeks prior
                Last edited by gingib; 12-02-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                  Well Sh-t now that I feel better I will get my Yeti Cup and hang out with the other Dads in right field.
                  Is that sarcasm or are you being serious?

Quick question. You say you have been playing and coaching for years. Where did you play and what level did you coach? Just curious.

But then again, what do I know? Me and ole em12 are just lowly high school baseball coaches that have the best interest of the kid in mind, rather than money.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post

Quick question. You say you have been playing and coaching for years. Where did you play and what level did you coach? Just curious.

But then again, what do I know? Me and ole em12 are just lowly high school baseball coaches that have the best interest of the kid in mind, rather than money.
                    I hope its sarcasm

But there are alot of dads nowadays who are glorified select coaches and think they know the game of baseball at an advanced level.

Ask me how I know

Comment

I will agree Dad and coaching usually not a good match. My kids organization had some coaches that had kids on another team not the one they coached. Jeff Kent was the exception as he coached his kid but can say I’m guessing his kid wished he didn’t from my observations

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post

Just a joke Coach that’s why I said yeti cup and right field. I never said HS coaches are bad or they don’t know baseball. Just having a little fun on a topic and talking baseball and everyone’s opinion and some take things the wrong way sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          I hope its sarcasm

But there are alot of dads nowadays who are glorified select coaches and think they know the game of baseball at an advanced level.

Ask me how I know
                          How do you know?

Me? I’m the Dad with a Yeti cup and flip flops. My son is a sophomore and I try to keep quiet and only encourage him because I know his playing days are coming to an end.

Now…whats your story?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                            How do you know?

Me? I’m the Dad with a Yeti cup and flip flops. My son is a sophomore and I try to keep quiet and only encourage him because I know his playing days are coming to an end.

Now…whats your story?
                            I am or did not say he was, as I do not know him

How do I know there are many dads who coach and think they know the game? Its easy to see

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              I am or did not say he was, as I do not know him

How do I know there are many dads who coach and think they know the game? Its easy to see
                              So you said "ask me how I know". I'm asking you what your background is as I've told you mine. You always seem to dodge this question when asked.

You obviously seem to be tied to the game but take every chance you get...particularly on the "Select Baseball" thread...to disparage the game and the parents that are only trying to brag on their kids and perhaps learn from others.

If you have ties to the game and presumably at least a former love for the game, why not try to help guide some of these 9U Dads with word of wisdom rather that negative garbage you always post?

Comment

I have been a varsity baseball coach. I have coached all three of my boys select teams. I still help as a pitching coach for their organization. I can tell you that there are good high school coaches that add value. But there are some that have no clue what they are saying. One told my son who was struggling on the mound that he didn't know what he was doing wrong but he needed to fix it. Some schools just have an endless amount of talent that feeds into them. Some coaches are just lucky enough that they get the job and inherit the kids that have been taught how to play at a young age. There is a big difference in inheriting talent vs developing talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X