To become a Taxidermist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To become a Taxidermist?

Thinking of making a pivot and starting my own business.

Anyone have any insight, tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1. Be honest about turnaround times.

Comment

Are you already a taxidermist.

Comment

Well, better be good at dealing with inpatient people, rotten hides, impatient people

Comment

Focus on bobcats. :-)

Comment

I am sure there are many full time taxidermist on here that can speak to it more than I can. I have been doing taxidermy for about 15 years as a hobby. I typically only mount friends and family members animals.

Unless you have a client base of people that go to Africa, or your doing a ton of animals I do not see how someone can make a fulltime living in this craft alone.

Again, I am sure others will chime in with much more than I know. to give you an idea of the break down the costs for a typical whitetail shoulder mount you are pushing $200 in supplies and tanning alone.

So if you are charging $550 ($350) gross profit. You would need to complete nearly 200 shoulder mounts to make $60k gross.

Not to squash your dreams, just adding some perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Brinkley View Post
              I am sure there are many full time taxidermist on here that can speak to it more than I can. I have been doing taxidermy for about 15 years as a hobby. I typically only mount friends and family members animals.

Unless you have a client base of people that go to Africa, or your doing a ton of animals I do not see how someone can make a fulltime living in this craft alone.

Again, I am sure others will chime in with much more than I know. to give you an idea of the break down the costs for a typical whitetail shoulder mount you are pushing $200 in supplies and tanning alone.

So if you are charging $550 ($350) gross profit. You would need to complete nearly 200 shoulder mounts to make $60k gross.

Not to squash your dreams, just adding some perspective.
              And add that the price of materials right now is skyrocketing, if you're turning $550 shoulder mounts, you wont be in business for long!

Comment

I know someone hiring a taxidermist

Comment

I can tell you the easy way to make $1 million doing taxidermy ... start with $2 million!

Brinkley hit most of the high points. Unless you have a good amount saved, to carry you for a few years, I wouldn't suggest you quit your job and dive in. It takes years to build a clientele that can support you, and more importantly it could take longer than that to get good enough to attract high end clients that are willing to pay for quality work so that you don't have to do 400 heads a year to keep yourself afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Are you already a taxidermist.

I am not currently a taxidermist just thinking about it. Looking at going to a taxidermist school as well

Comment

There ain’t much money in it right now. If you really want to do it then go to the school, then find someone you can intern with. Work for free if needed to learn the trade. I have a couple friends that are great taxidermist, and stay busy. They ain’t getting rich off it though.

Comment

Open a tannery right now and you could probably have all the business you want. “iF” you can find the supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          There ain’t much money in it right now. If you really want to do it then go to the school, then find someone you can intern with. Work for free if needed to learn the trade. I have a couple friends that are great taxidermist, and stay busy. They ain’t getting rich off it though.

Appreciate the info. Not looking to get rich necessarily, just looking for a career I’m interested in and something that can pay the bills

Comment

I entertained this idea a lot… always wanted to learn it and dabbled in it some over the past few years. I too really wanted to start a business and have the mentors and motivation to do it…. But when I ran all the numbers it just wasn’t a realistic income at my stage of life. Doing commercial grade work for commercial grade price isn’t what I want to do… and like mentioned you got to crank out the work to make ends meet.

High end work is where money is. Doing quality that pays without working to death…. But that comes with years of building reputation…. And having a client base that can afford it. (Everyone is “looking for a deal” to “get it stuffed”)

Start as a hobby and supplemental income See what the market in your area will hold and support

If your taking in too many to do… your too cheap. If your not taking in any… find out why

Comment

Not to squash your dreams but taxidermy is not a good cash flow business. Steady cash flow is how you pay your bills. At the end of the day it is a good side hustle once you have learned the”ART” of taxidermy and not just stuffing as already mentioned. Plus your product is a luxury item not a necessity and your customers bills will come first when their dollars get tight. You might work your tail off for a month completing heads for pickup just to see them setting for another month are longer before they are actually picked up and paid for. The taxidermists on this forum will all agree that the customers that pester you to death about completing their work will normally be the last to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X