Sexual abuse question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexual abuse question

Last year a friend of mine had called me. I could tell he had been drinking because I’ve known him for 32 years. So it didn’t surprise me What surprised me was that he came out and told me that his grandfather had sexually abused him. Out of the clear blue he came out with this. I told him how sorry I was and that this monster would someday account for what he had done. That was it. We never spoke about it again.
    A little more of the back story. There were four kids in his family. Three out of the four turned out to be profound, high functioning alcoholics. One did not
    Fast forward to September of this year. My friend had developed esophageal cancer last year. He was treated for laryngitis for seven weeks until they figured out what was going on. It was stage three. He received one treatment for chemo and eventually had to be trached. He died a week later.
    I had spoken to his x wife and his children. When I spoke with his son his son told me “Bruce, my dad was emotionally retarded. He didn’t know how to maintain a relationship. We could never figure it out, but we just accepted it”.
    My friend had had three failed marriages and was kinda estranged from his kids but was trying to make up for his transgressions. He was trying to redeem the time with them even before he got the diagnosis. I asked if if he was scared of dying and he said “ no Bruce Im not. I just don’t wanna leave my kids”.
    He was divorced from his first wife, and mother of his kids, since 1996. He had tried to get back together with her a couple of times but his wife couldn’t deal with the alcohol and never remarried him or anyone else for that matter.
    So my friend has been gone now going on two months. The initial shock is wearing off, the service went well, and life continues without my friend.
    Here’s my question y’all: does my buddy’s secret die with me or could it possibly help his first wife and kids figure out why he was so detached? Or possibly the reason he drank all his life? Personally I think his grandfather (in name only) abused his siblings as well.
    What would y’all do?

Sexual abuse question

**** that's an absolute tricky one.... Definitely gonna have to just think on it hard and pray on it and see what feels best and the right thing to do in your heart. But if it were me I'd tell him. Could patch up bad feelings by his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TxSon1836; 11-25-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Such a tragic story. I WOULD DEFINITELY TELL THEM. They probably hold resentment toward their father for his behavior. This will help them understand who he was and help them forgive him.

Comment

What would be the purpose in not telling them? Maybe your friend was shameful about it. But he's gone now along with those memories and that shame.

Comment

Wow, what a tough situation to be in. I think I would let the secret die but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
            Such a tragic story. I WOULD DEFINITELY TELL THEM. They probably hold resentment toward their father for his behavior. This will help them understand who he was and help them forgive him.
            This

Comment

Wow, that's a tough one and I don't envy you at all.

I would probably have trouble saying something to his kids even though they'd have to be adults by this point. I guess it would depend on how well you know is ex wife, maybe just start a conversation with her and get her side of things if she offers it up. See if she brings forwards anything he may have told her about his issue(s).

After that, step back and reflect, make a decision from there. If she seems interested in knowing more, maybe tell her about what he had conveyed to you. She can tell the kids if she chooses.

Again, I don't envy you and best of luck.

Comment

Man this is tough. He told you for a reason. He knew you'd do what he couldn't.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

That depends if it would make a difference for the family to find peace and closure. If not, the less said, the sooner mended. If so, then tell them at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    Man this is tough. He told you for a reason. He knew you'd do what he couldn't.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                    This

Comment

Yes sir it might help answer a lot of questions and give some peace.Definitely pray about the right time and place.

Comment

Hey...here's an idea.

Instead of having a conversation with each one of them or some kind of big family meeting....write a letter about your friendship with him and his confession to you.

Send a copy to each family member with your contact info. If they want more information they can call you.

Comment

I agree. May help bring some peace to the family, and might help them understand his why he was the way he was.

Comment

Hey...here's an idea.

Instead of having a conversation with each one of them or some kind of big family meeting....write a letter about your friendship with him and his confession to you.

Send a copy to each family member with your contact info. If they want more information they can call you.

I kinda like that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Might bring his Family peace knowing what demons he was dealing with and give them an understanding of why he was like he was.

Comment

Working...
                              X