2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
    Very cool sighting. Was that the extent of your duck hunt?
    Nope. Saw about 15 flights in all. Some were on a mission. It was a slow morning. Big water has it's advantages, and disadvantages. I managed one nice single redhead from a zillion feet up. And lost a teal and a ringneck. I just couldn't catch up. Missed a few shots on some pairs. And it seems like every time I went and adjusted the deeques, I'd finish and look up only to see birds flairing.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	143E696C-4AD5-4126-852F-9BB81F075448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	24674251 First duck kind of smile

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
        [ATTACH]1077543[/ATTACH] First duck kind of smile

Way to go young man!

And congrats to Pin Oak and Jeep Feller too!

Comment

that's awesome bollomb! Heck of a first too!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Nope. Saw about 15 flights in all. Some were on a mission. It was a slow morning. Big water has it's advantages, and disadvantages. I managed one nice single redhead from a zillion feet up. And lost a teal and a ringneck. I just couldn't catch up. Missed a few shots on some pairs. And it seems like every time I went and adjusted the deeques, I'd finish and look up only to see birds flairing.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
            Good deal! Always fun to get out no matter how much shooting happens. Yea that rearranging deekes while birds coming in has happened way to many times for me. The lull will be endless and the one time to go move deekes here they come. Sure fire way to get the birds moving

Comment

That is awesome, congrats to him. I'd mount that one for him Dad.

Comment

Ice got us today. No wind and temps in the low 20s had everything froze up here! Headed back to Texas! Work a couple days and chase crappie next weekend!

Comment

CONGRATS to the Young Man!

Comment

Absolutely correct!

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                    I travel for work thru Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and southern Illinois and one thing I see alot more up there along the highways is more water and agricultural fields then subdivisions like I do down here. We have lost acres upon acres of habitat along the coast here in my 40 years of living outside of Houston. Where it used to be strictly rice around me they're putting in subsidies crops that just don't attract the birds like rice did.
                    Talk to some old hunters about the “good old days” in the Katy/Eagle Lake rice prairies............when they actually grew RICE there.

Same here in Callahan country by Cross Plains. A 17 acre flood control lake is 500 yards from my home and we have lived here since 1971. When peanuts were grown around the lake, it was literally COVERED with waterfowl. Aflatoxin fungus in the Sandy soil caused peanut operations to be relocated to Western Oklahoma and now the ducks are very sparse. Most former peanut/grain fields were converted to Coastal Bermuda grass operations, which offer nothing for waterfowl.

Land use practices & habitat fragmentation are causing more harm to wildlife than anything else. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                      That is awesome, congrats to him. I'd mount that one for him Dad.
                      This one is definitely headed to the Taxi!

Comment

Man... first skunk of the year this am. Hunted a spot that should have been on fire. Never even saw any birds all day.

2 weekends left! Hoping I can get my boat back running for the finish.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post

Shot our 5 man of redheads with some bonus buffies and a pintail on the coast today. Good times with good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          How do you cook your buffleheads? I have yet to find a way to eat them and because of that, I pass them by everyone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
                            How do you cook your buffleheads? I have yet to find a way to eat them and because of that, I pass them by everyone.

I have never tried it on buffleheads, but aging ducks is the ticket. Any duck is much better aged.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                              Talk to some old hunters about the “good old days” in the Katy/Eagle Lake rice prairies............when they actually grew RICE there.

Same here in Callahan country by Cross Plains. A 17 acre flood control lake is 500 yards from my home and we have lived here since 1971. When peanuts were grown around the lake, it was literally COVERED with waterfowl. Aflatoxin fungus in the Sandy soil caused peanut operations to be relocated to Western Oklahoma and now the ducks are very sparse. Most former peanut/grain fields were converted to Coastal Bermuda grass operations, which offer nothing for waterfowl.

Land use practices & habitat fragmentation are causing more harm to wildlife than anything else. Carry on.
                              My FIL said the same thing about Eastland Co. When the peanut field flooded he said the sky turned black with birds. Didn't even need a hide. Wait for a group to work and blast away. Wait a couple minutes and the birds would be back screaming into the peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post

We were more or less trophy hunting looking for a stud to put on the wall. But usually with divers that we kill on the coast I just fillet them into thin strips and make jerky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X