Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jury Duty - If you have a way out, do you take it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Duty - If you have a way out, do you take it?

I am just curious, I have not been summoned for JD. If you have a way out of jury duty, would you take it when you otherwise could be there but you just don't want to go? If you salary is covered at work, you have childcare, everything is taken care of...would you still use an exemption to get out?

Personally I want to go. If I could make it work, I would want to go.

No I would not take the way out even though I do have legitimate health issues I am currently serving on a jury starting Tuesday that will last up to 3 weeks. I think serving on a jury is really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Go ahead and go. In my past experiences, during the vetting process, my conservative values have kept me from getting selected and I get dismissed.

Comment

You should not skirt your duty to serve as a juror. If you have legitimate reasons, fine. But what if you were on the other side? Wouldn’t you want a jury of your peers?

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
          You should not skirt your duty to serve as a juror. If you have legitimate reasons, fine. But what if you were on the other side? Wouldn’t you want a jury of your peers?
          Good point and heck yeah I want a jury of my peers, but as mentioned previously, my peers may all get dismissed hahaha.

Comment

With no direct cost to you, and kids/other covered, you should absolutely do it because once you do you will realize its not a jury of your peers, and if you ever found yourself in the defendant chair you would really want folks like most of you on your jury.

I was on a murder trial in the mid 90s. The trial itself was fascinating, the guy was guilty as hell of a horrific murder (stabbed a guy 17 times with butcher knife, broke the handle off in process, and lit him on fire while he was still alive).

But the jury was made up of all kinds of folks, several of which did not care what the outcome was, they just wanted out to get back to their lives, mostly because it was costing hourly workers or self employed folks money they did not have. I was fortunate that my company was paying my time so that was not an issue. I would like to think I would have still be driven to do the right thing even if that wasnt the case but I could feel for those losing money being there.

Because it was pretty much an open and shut case it started with jury selection on Monday, trial on Tue, sentencing was on Friday. The process was really interesting start to finish. The guy got 65 years I think.

Comment

Do it in a minute..
              I've only been called, once in my life.
              Even then, I got rejected cause I was a full time student.

Comment

I would go. Ive been called once then they released us all after an hour or so of sitting around.

Comment

I’ve never been summoned.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

I doubt I would get selected due to my political stance and career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What career would that be that they would pump the brakes?

Comment

I go every time - and I’ve been summoned a handful of times. Only served once on a burglary case. Very interesting process and I view it as the duty of a citizen who is able to do it.

Comment

I have been summoned maybe six or seven times. I have served on a federal jury trial for a lawsuit, a state trial for a misdemeanor assault and a state trial for felony possession of drugs.

And yes I would go again….

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                          Go ahead and go. In my past experiences, during the vetting process, my conservative values have kept me from getting selected and I get dismissed.
                          Same here, got called a couple years ago. It was really interesting, the FBI had caught this guy out in Seguin with a bunch of kiddie **** on his laptop. During the vetting process I didn’t hold back when I was asked what I thought of the guy. Noticed the defense attorney put a big X on my name after that lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukota01 View Post
                            No I would not take the way out even though I do have legitimate health issues I am currently serving on a jury starting Tuesday that will last up to 3 weeks. I think serving on a jury is really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            not to derail but curious as to how they are handling the Rona social distancing issue?

Comment

I’ve been summoned at least a dozen times. Never picked.

Comment

Working...
                              X