Is there a Muzzleloader forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a Muzzleloader forum

similar to TBH or do/can I just post here?

Post away..... we love BP rifles
    Click image for larger version

Name:	128593670_5444212045619541_2563815665344160740_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24673417

Comment

Lots of questions.
      I was given a CVA Eclipse Hunter .50
      I looked for supplies locally, couldn't find anything. I didn't get the Breech plug righr away with the gun. Guy who gave the gun to me couldn't find it. He since has. I read online this particular gun came with a #11 nipple, but you could change it to a 209, Musket Cap, or NW something or other. I wasn't sure which style I had.

While on Vacation i stopped a Scheels in Sioux City, IA and bought powder, bullet, cleaning stuff, nipple grease, nipple pick, #11 capper tool, #11 caps, 300 Grain SST Sabots, Triple 7 powder.
      I bought the 300 grain Hornady SST Sabots over the 240 Grain Hornady XTP at a buddy's recommendation. He's used both and prefers the SST.
      I bought the Triple Seven Powder cause I read it burns clean.
      I'm back in Texas now so returning doesn't seem like an viable option. Closest Scheels is Houston I believe

My buddy found the Breech Plug tool and I was able to get the breech plug out. It appears to have the #11 nipple.

So here's my dilema(s)
      1) Will 1:32 stabilize a 300 grain Sabot with 2 50 Grain Pellets? I plan on staying inside 125 yards

2)The Triple 7 Powder says for use in inline muzzleloader with 209 primer. I didn't see that fine print till last night.
      Will a #11 be hot enough to ignite the triple seven powder?

Comment

There is a scheels in The Colony. The 11s should work. If you have ignition issues you could crush the pellets (assuming you have pellets) and pour it.

Personally Id swap it out with 209s cause theyre slightly larger and easier to handle. But then you have to find 209s also

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          There is a scheels in The Colony. The 11s should work. If you have ignition issues you could crush the pellets (assuming you have pellets) and pour it.

Personally Id swap it out with 209s cause theyre slightly larger and easier to handle. But then you have to find 209s also
          Good advice. If you make the swap I’m pretty sure I have some 209 primers that I’ll give you Kyle.

Comment

If you have FB there is a CVA ML page.. A ton of info on there..

Comment

DO NOT CRUSH THE PELLETS. It will change the burning characteristics of the powders. You could very well wind up with over pressure loads. Also if you don't get it crushed into uniform sized flakes you could have different pressures in each load leading to inaccuracy. There is a warning on the safety sheet that comes with the pellets that says: "Do not break, cut, or modify pellets by any means".

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                Lots of questions.
                I was given a CVA Eclipse Hunter .50
                I looked for supplies locally, couldn't find anything. I didn't get the Breech plug righr away with the gun. Guy who gave the gun to me couldn't find it. He since has. I read online this particular gun came with a #11 nipple, but you could change it to a 209, Musket Cap, or NW something or other. I wasn't sure which style I had.

While on Vacation i stopped a Scheels in Sioux City, IA and bought powder, bullet, cleaning stuff, nipple grease, nipple pick, #11 capper tool, #11 caps, 300 Grain SST Sabots, Triple 7 powder.
                I bought the 300 grain Hornady SST Sabots over the 240 Grain Hornady XTP at a buddy's recommendation. He's used both and prefers the SST.
                I bought the Triple Seven Powder cause I read it burns clean.
                I'm back in Texas now so returning doesn't seem like an viable option. Closest Scheels is Houston I believe

My buddy found the Breech Plug tool and I was able to get the breech plug out. It appears to have the #11 nipple.

So here's my dilema(s)
                1) Will 1:32 stabilize a 300 grain Sabot with 2 50 Grain Pellets? I plan on staying inside 125 yards

2)The Triple 7 Powder says for use in inline muzzleloader with 209 primer. I didn't see that fine print till last night.
                Will a #11 be hot enough to ignite the triple seven powder?

1. 1:32 will stabilize the 300gr sabot with 2 50 grain pellets. I use the Hornady 250gr SST with 2 50 grain pellets in my Thompson Encore Pro Hunter. (It also shoots great groups with 3 50 grain pellets but the recoil is a bit much.

2. #11 caps will ignite the 777 pellets, but not as reliably as the 209 primers do, you may experience some slight hangfires. I would change out to the 209 primer.

Comment

I use Blackhorn 209 in my CVA in-line, and use hot CCI 209M primers. BH209 is pricey, but cleans-up so easy that no more than I shoot the price is OK with me.

In my sidelock 54 Cal percussion, I use loose T7 FFG with #11 caps. Works fine.

Have not used loose T7 in my in-line, but understand from other's it'll work just fine. I would need to use 209 primers for that.

Have not used pellets.
                  Last edited by SJP51; 01-03-2022, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Muzzle Loader Forums:

Muzzle-loaders.com

Modernmuzzleloader.com

Frontiermuzzleloader.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      DO NOT CRUSH THE PELLETS. It will change the burning characteristics of the powders. You could very well wind up with over pressure loads. Also if you don't get it crushed into uniform sized flakes you could have different pressures in each load leading to inaccuracy. There is a warning on the safety sheet that comes with the pellets that says: "Do not break, cut, or modify pellets by any means".
                      Opposite of our experience. A rem 700 in line and a cva shoot the pyrodex better crushed. So much he swore off pellets

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Rockslide has a ML forum.

Comment

Evening everyone. :-)

I've read all the replies.

I'm hoping to answer them all with this one. The stuff I bought was on the shelf and a semi impulse buy.

To me everything hinged upon whether or not I could get the breech plug out.
                          I can.

So now my short term is to see if i can what I have to kill a deer this season.

My long term.goal is to use 209 Primers and BH 209 powder. From what I've read I'll need a special breech plug designed for BH 209 and a 209 nipple.

I'm thinking sourcing parts in time for this season is going to keep me limited to using what I have.

Thank you for the forums and websites. I'll be checking them out. Hoping to learn if I can run BH 209 powder in my rifle. Than also look at loose powder vs pellets. To use loose I'll need more stuff, i think....

Drycreek I can order a 209 Nipple bit i don't if it'll get here in time for this season. I've seen it available on a couple of website's....

Comment

Opposite of our experience. A rem 700 in line and a cva shoot the pyrodex better crushed. So much he swore off pellets

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            A Rem 700 In-Line is capable of smokeless powder. Very strong action for a muzzleloader.

Comment

ok.
                              So I went to a local gun shop this afternoon. They Pyrodex 50/50 on the shelf. I picked up 2 boxes. So I think I'm set for next weekend.....

Comment

Working...
                              X