Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This big boar was my luckiest shot, no question. Saw him running through a field, about to cross the road about 50 yards in front of me. Stopped the truck, grabbed the AR and shot him on the run as he crossed the road, heading into the next field. When I shot, he kept running. I laughed, telling myself it would have been a lucky shot anyway’s. I watched him pile up about 30 yards into the field. All I could do was laugh.
    Attached Files

Comment

Shot a woodcock with my SW 357 pistol drinking a few beers with a buddy,bird came flying by I just shot for fun and dang if I didn’t hit that thing.On a cheap axis doe hunt missed a head shot shooting down hill the bullet bounced of a rock and hit a little buck about 30 yards behind her and 30 yards to her right and also a little higher than her going back up hill.The rancher was there and saw what happened and couldn’t believe it,so he just charged me a little bit more for the buck.I put my gun up right there on that hunt it just bothered me.

Comment

I shot a water moccasin about an inch behind the head with a sig p238 .380. Walked over to him and he was still moving so I took a follow up shot from 3 ft and missed.

A couple of years ago we were goofing around at night on my buddy’s ranch riding in the truck with the windows down. Heard a pig squeal and my buddy yanked the wheel in the direction he thought he heard it. Sure enough we see the pig at about 80-90 yards. pig took off when the headlights hit it and I was leaned out the window trying to get a shot. Finally found it in my scope as was hitting the edge of the light, kept tracking it into the dark and took a shot where I thought it should be. I earholed it.

Comment

COMPOUND SHOTS

Antelope at 55 yards - walking from my right to left after sipping water at a New Mexican livestock tank. Settled in on front shoulder - triggered release from my knees in a pop-up blind - he walked into the arrow - both lungs and ran 55 before piling up as he tried to clear. Hoyt 2003 Ultratec - Magnus Stinger 100

Antelope in 25 mph wind at 71 yards - wind quartering in from left to right - aimed to ride wind with 2 ft of drift - entered into the right lung and passed out left shoulder - ran a quarter mile and piled up on one lung. Hoyt XTech 2004 - Magnus Stinger 100

Tennis ball - Austin Archery Club shooting with the then Austin President on the outdoor range. He stuck a tennis ball at 55 yards and nailed it with his open class bow. He then challenged me to follow his lead - nailed it next to his arrow with a 2003 Hoyt Ultratec rigged for hunting

RECURVE
          1963 Blackwidow TF Recurve hunter - on a dare - buddies hunting with me with pellet guns and .22 rifles = challenged me to shoot a water moccasin across Mary's Creek (Brazoria County years ago). Instinctive Easton xx75 aluminum arrows and a Fred Bear two blade broadhead with bleeder blades - shot was roughly 18 yards - cut it's head off and buried the shaft half into the mud. Headless body wriggling - which then required me to get wet to recover my arrow

US Coast Guard
          Mount 5/1 5" deck gun - hit a tank target dead on at 9 miles - gunnery shoot USCGC Midgett 1982 - target was a Naval bomb range on San Clemente Island California - Marine popped purple smoke - marking the target - single shot triggering the port side shooters chair setup - my old shipmate - ALEX SEGURA was working the turret ( starboard chair - - his movements worked the turret horizontally to both stops - the swing.
          I had the barrel azimuth (up and down movement - with the trigger on my left hand with the barrel wheel controls - two handed spinning the wheels fore or aft- barrel moves up and down. Both of us hit the target but - I pulled the trigger timing the ships rise till it stopped - triggered it - before the bow dropped (timing on a ship - guns maximum range)
          55lb projectile with 75lbs of gun powder - shakes the ship and concussion blasts

Rifle hunting shot
          200" class mule deer running at 120 yards, full speed with the mule deer hop, down a Washington State mountain - he was running like a freight train and sounded like a horse - got pushed on opening morning by western stalkers down the mountain. He got pushed up to me - I was glassing an alpine meadow at 7200ft he rumbled up and over and out into this little opening - I missed the first two shots as he worked thru the timber popping out into this gap. I got tight behind a boulder I was holed up glassing from, timed my shot behind his left shoulder as his feet planted on the ground = 10 yards from the timber - I triggered 270 Weatherby Magnum 130 grain and nailed him - he continued on into the timber and down a steep down slope - he piled up several hundred yards inside

Body weight 360lbs
          200 plus rack - never scored it - its hanging at the family home in Kerrville

Comment

ARCHERY COUNTRY INDOOR RANGE - 2004 - Hoyt Ultratec setup Hunter class

BOWWIZ was the bow tech and worked the shop. Just got the job and BigL and I along with SIKA and so many TBH folks here - started shooting competitively here.

We also filmed some Hollywood movies for the Movie Set THE KING with William Hurt

It was during this time - BigL moving into the President Job at Austin Archery Club

On a dare by BigL and Bowwiz - indoor dot range = 20 yards standard indoor range.

Wiz stuck a thumb tack on the wall at 20 and challenged me to hit it

I nailed it with my first shot

He then said - I bet you can't do that again?!@?@?

I Robinhooded my first arrow with the second

BIGL - BOWWIZ left me alone that day - I was on
            Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-29-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

12 years old - 7th grade kid PEARLAND TURKEY SHOOT in 1972
              VFW HALL then - was the annual gathering with rifle range - pistol and skeet

The big show - 100 yard shot at a life size clay turkey head painted orange on a stick up wire.

1 dollar per shot - standing upright shots only - free hand

I had two bucks - missed the first by a hair

Second shot - took roughly 2 - 3 minutes to trigger the rifle - heard the crowd behind getting restless but supportive - 12 year old kid

Nailed it on my second shot - everyone started clapping and hooting and hollering - got a fresh turkey for the family.

Then the onlookers jump on fast - wind was light and that was my wait

Marlin 30-30 Bolt rifle with a Weaver 4x fixed scope - 150 grain Winchester rounds

My Polish Grandpa - OPA Z - shot a turkey head every year in Harper Texas VFW Turkey shoot held across from Dauna's store - the Harper park. He showed up and shot with a single shot 22 rifle. OPA used to shoot competitive pistol in Mexico - Polish immigrant and mine foreman for American Smelting. He mastered the .22 round and it's drop with rifle and pistol - very similar to a 45 ACP round I might add. Everyone waited and watched - he was that good and never missed.

Dad shot extremely well - and he had me reloading at 16 - custom guns and custom fishing rods - he was the reason why - I just managed to get some of the genetics I suppose?
              Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-29-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Similar to AtTheWall, I made a couple of shots that I didn't think I was gonna make, but did.

I was shooting in the live turkey shoot near Fredericksburg about 10 years ago. They tie a live turkey to a post with a zip tie and you have to kill the turkey with a head shot at 100 yards, off hand. I took my little CZ 527 in .223 because it shoots sub .5 MOA all day long. When I got the chance I stood on line and assumed my best ROTC shooting team standing position, scope turned up to 24X and let it rip. I'll be darned if I didn't kill that turkey on the first shot!

I sat down and waited for awhile to let my excitement settle down before buying another shot. Mind you it was $5/shot. I stood up there the second time and went through my routine and let it rip again. I'll be ****ed if I didn't hit that turkey too!!! About 15 seconds went by and the guy working then end of the range with the turkeys called the line and said it didn't count because all I had done was shoot the zip tie off the turkey's head.

Then it cost me $25 to have the first turkey cleaned.

Several years ago while mule deer hunting north of Van Horn, a buddy and I spotted a good buck in the bottom of a canyon. He had no intentions of staying there once we exited the Jeep. He took off running and went over the mountain. It took me awhile, but I finally spotted him and his does going up the side of a hill, two hills over from where he went over the first one.

I didn't have time for the rangefinder. If I had known how far he was before I shot I wouldn't have taken the shot. I sat down and got as stable as possible and located him in the scope. I was shooting a Browning 1885 Single Shot in 7 mag with 160 gr. Speer Grand slam handloads. I held over his head as he was going straight up the hill and squeezed one off. Once I recovered from the recoil I couldn't' find him. I finally found him down and out. It took us over an hour just to get to him and get him up the side of the mountain. The mountain was so steep we had a jeep come up the other side, drop their winch line to us and pulled us up the mountain.

I later went back and ranged the shot at 603 yards. Unluckiest deer on the entire ranch is all I can say.

Comment

Lone dove on a highline in mid July when I was about 8. Grandpa bet me I couldn't hit it and I already had the crossman all pumped up. Dropped him at about 70 yards and grandpa couldn't believe it. He said that was a one in a million shot and was not in any way concerned that I'd actually hit it. He hurried over there to retrieve and we fried up one dove breast with the chicken fried steak that night.

Comment

Maritime Law Enforcement Training - Modesto California Criminal Justice Training Center - The CALI Wildlife - CHIP - State Police Academy and tactical (1982 era) SWAT / Urban training - 2 months of shooting everyday, hand to hand combat (weapons as well as bare take down) - the training curriculum was Federal designed for the USCG mixed with L/E tactics and instructors of that era.

We had 7-9 different instructors - all of them Law Enforcement (lawmen) who survived gun battles - wounded in the process - hand picked for training at the State wide Academy (the advanced stuff then).

We were trained with Colt 45 ACP pistols that had the sights removed, front and rear.

The training used during this time - GUNSLINGER combat shooting without aiming - left and right hand - running courses and shooting for score simulating adrenaline (elevated breathing heart rate and just plain old trying to catch your breath) they made us run 100 yards, wearing 3 magazines with a holstered Milspec 45 colt modified so we were forced to shoot INSTINCTIVELY out to 20 yards for score - both hands.

Thousands of tactical live rounds simulating that beginning era - before Urban Tactical doctrine worked into the Military with the Seal and Special Forces - terrorism took us there in the late 80s and beyond with the Columbian Cartels.

This was our training - the first group to deal with CARTELS and a specific challenge - training to take over a ship loaded with bad dudes and dope - steel ships and tight cover

I shot second in the class on the final test. Pulled 2 shots - the key who out shot me pulled 1 shot - He was an ex Competitive Pistol match champion - who shot for the Army competitively - both of us forced to learn quick draw techniques with this program.

We ran 100 yards
                    We shot 3 magazines at 20 yards with zero sights from a holstered and non-chambered magazine
                    If we dropped the magazine on an empty slide before running thru all three mags - failed instantly - open slide with follow-up = DEAD

This was pressure and I was 22 years old but - the shot was this scene.

They ran SHOOT - DON'T SHOOT simulations - using an old 8 mm reel to reel projector. The film was all visual - no sound. The room was dark with a white paper suspended on a wire from the ceiling, from ceiling to floor, where the movie projection was overlayed. The gun was a sightless Colt 45 with rubber bullets. Shots made at the screen - punched holes in the paper - the only light in the room was that paper. Surrounding us - all of these hardened COPS - who lived thru these scenes - all of them scoring and observing.

Shots fired - the camera was stopped and the shot was outlined on the paper - where you fired.

Scene as delivered by the narrator instructor - beat cop walking an LA side street with small shops. The shop ahead is a liquor store and the call to us was - active shooter with hostage.

The scene unfolds - bad dude behind a bimbo blond with his pistol over her right shoulder and directly at you - as he comes out with her in front - onto the sidewalk

So I unholstered - hot round already chambered - and shot him right between the eyes instinctively - the Cops froze the camera and immediately tore into my arse for taking that shot - ONE CAN NOT TAKE THIS SHOT AS PER THEIR LOGIC but...........the hole in this dudes face on paper - THEY SAID I PASSED BECAUSE THIS WAS THE ONLY SHOT THAT WOULD LET ME PASS.

They started the tape up and as it unfolded, that SOB shot me had I not shot first.

That was pressure and it really is unreal to think at 22, I had to perform at this with a very intense instructor group.

I've shot millions of rounds thru 20 years of military service. We shot M-16s on full auto - blowing thru surplus Vietnam era 223 ammo. We had to train on the range and qualify every 6 months - and we hauled more guns as well as personal firearms - wearing uniform for work and score. After everyone was done - we shot competitively - spraying M16s at 100 yards and those who come onto target hot the fastest won etc etc etc

Living on the beach - knock a day out doing GOVN stuff - dump the gear and fish.

We got paid - like many who serve - to shoot. And the better shooters - got fed more opportunities to shoot.

Comment

In 1981 - The USCG sent me to the Official NAVAL BOMBARDMENT TRAINING CENTER in Long Beach California. This facility has a Shipboard Firefighting Containment and Control training program (another item I was here for) as well as training to shoot the then WWII Era Mount 5/1 5" forward deck gun.
                      Adolfo Gonzales (ADOLF - IF YOU SEE THIS - CONTACT ME!)

Note the 5" - double braid howser towing line - on the deck to protect the non-skid - from the shell casings.

This is a manual WWII era deck gun - the same system my Grandpa R (Mom) supported when he was a skipper of a US Navy Gunboat during WWII in the Pacific.

It was this man, who inspired me to serve at sea.

He wasn't a killer - hunter type - post war - he had enough of killing and opted to support me and Dad in deer camp, covering that scene, as we camped for days together. Found out after he passed, he suffered from PTSD - and this kept him from the kill - but - he was the perfect coach - the PATIENCE required to control a young child learning to shoot - to make each shot count.

This was a towed sled shot, with an offset pre=calibrated into the optics, so we would shoot exactly 10 degrees to the side we aimed for score, as a seagoing tug pulled this massive barge/target (about 100ft long with a bullseye about 20 ft tall).

We were trained to shoot short - the main rounds basically FMJ rounds - you aimed low to skip that first shot short - which then bounced the projectile horizontally to the water like tossing a river stone and counting the skips - except you wanted one skip off the ocean about 150 yards short - so that 55lb projectile would deflect and skim below the maindeck and hammer the hull with a projectile - that would blow thru engine blocks without detonation - USCG STYLE

The Navy style - High Explosive rounds - on target - skipping does not work because the warhead detonates short.

We had HE - FMJ and AIR BURST stuff.

I shot at towed targets - pulled behind a jet at 500 knots on a cable about 4 miles long. The target was a long arse windsock connected to the jet and dragged at high speed - low wind resistance but it was a long red tube - streaming behind - we aimed ait.

Some of these shots were made at 40 degrees up and swinging to follow.

This is the wildest and most expensive "WING SHOOTING" one could imagine.

I learned to swing with wrist-rocket sling shots, recurves and longbows with flu flu and blunt points, and my beginnings with archery - all instinctive shooting at moving game.

These were my 6 year old fundamentals with two men, who could shoot lights out, on fixed targets.

I developed the MOVE to SHOOT inside serving - with the foundation of my childhood, to get there.

I had to train my Dad to think, tossing a bucket of sand or water, at something running in front of you very close. You come in from behind and let it go back there and follow-thru as it unloads - clearing the nose (SCATTER PATTERN - SHOTGUN but - You only have one lead shot flying)

This put his mind into working on swing.........

I ended up coaching my Dad - OPA passed - before I could share this with him.

I'm not young - and I've lived a bit differently than those who are born after 1980.

Rob sends

Comment

I drove this GOVN vehicle to the Federal range near Oakland, hauling a 30 cal machine gun (pedestal mount - shipboard - light enough to ARNOLD it if you are man enough to hold it with a full belt and spray) - full auto M16s, 45 ACPs, M14s and GOVN 12 gauge pumps - ship was hauled into the yards for an overhaul and we hauled the weapons off and hit the range to clear ammo - wasn't needed - restock after the overhaul in the ship yard.

When your in your 20s, and work has some pleasure involved, you volunteer.

Non-stop - I volunteered to help and with that - came opportunity - only experienced inside in this world.

Normal for us back then - not so Normal today - Just thinking the three of us - these two guys and I with one - off and not wearing a uniform - we roll thru SFRAN and Oakland halfway to San Jose south - hauling all these weapons in the truck bed of this truck - with the three of us packing to cover - as we rolled in traffic.

Another time - and this was everyday thinking for me - as I served.

Not everyone got these opportunities - only shooters - hence why I posted this old photo - another era and some inside then - served and shared from NAM - we were the next generation.

Counter-Narcotics enforcement of the Medellin and Cali Cartels - the beginnings

Comment

I’ve got two, both firearm related.

The first, I was in high school hunting with my dad and his business partner on the now defunct Campo De Goyo down in Encino, Tx.

We were just wrapping up the morning hunt standing around the buggy when my dads partner pointed out a lone dove flying in right at us. I was still locked and loaded so I shoulder my old stevens sxs and pulled the trigger. Hit the dove, and caught the dove while it came gliding in right into my hands (not so much as a lucky shot, but a catch I guess lol)

The second was on our lease out in Doss, Tx.

We hunt on a pretty small place out there that is surrounded on all sides by another 1800 acres. One stand in particular is only a few hundred yards from another on the other lease, you can hear the Hunter coming and going and definitely when he shoots. Anyway, one morning hunt, I hear that other Hunter let off a volley of shots one after another, sounded like a war zone! I was thinking to myself what a lucky deer to have gotten away lol! Not 5 minutes later a big pack of pigs come storming in from that direction, not wanting to waste any of my good rifle ammo I reached for my glock 19 and decided to make a Hail Mary as soon as they came into view. I burst through the back door of my blind and picked one piglet at the head of the pack and dropped him at about 30 paces. I’m by no means a dead eye with a pistol so I’d call that one helluva lucky shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                            I drove this GOVN vehicle to the Federal range near Oakland, hauling a 30 cal machine gun (pedestal mount - shipboard - light enough to ARNOLD it if you are man enough to hold it with a full belt and spray) - full auto M16s, 45 ACPs, M14s and GOVN 12 gauge pumps - ship was hauled into the yards for an overhaul and we hauled the weapons off and hit the range to clear ammo - wasn't needed - restock after the overhaul in the ship yard.

When your in your 20s, and work has some pleasure involved, you volunteer.

Non-stop - I volunteered to help and with that - came opportunity - only experienced inside in this world.

Normal for us back then - not so Normal today - Just thinking the three of us - these two guys and I with one - off and not wearing a uniform - we roll thru SFRAN and Oakland halfway to San Jose south - hauling all these weapons in the truck bed of this truck - with the three of us packing to cover - as we rolled in traffic.

Another time - and this was everyday thinking for me - as I served.

Not everyone got these opportunities - only shooters - hence why I posted this old photo - another era and some inside then - served and shared from NAM - we were the next generation.

Counter-Narcotics enforcement of the Medellin and Cali Cartels - the beginnings

Are you on the right or left in the picture?

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                              Are you on the right or left in the picture?
                              I'm snapping the photo with my old 35 mm - full frame

Guy on the left - California native - boat crewman - 41 ft USCG UTB small boat ops

Guy on the right, GM2 (Gunnersmate) from the ship - he's the one with his signature, on the armory manifest of weapons, transferred to the armory on Alameda Island California - as the ship was overhauled in the yard on the Oakland side of SFRAN bay - Todd's Shipyards near the old NAS Oakland Naval Airstation where the then USS KITTY HAWK carrier moored with her respective air wings and Marines.

South of Oakland, between San Jose, the US GOVN owns several thousand acres along the western hills along the southern reaches of San Francisco Bay. This was the gunnery range where the then, West Coast USCG Boot Camp shot and trained Recruits, going thru boot camp. Local L/E, Federal L/E and USCG - we all shared this range collectively.

We shot all the ammo up - then hauled the guns into the Armory - which held them till the ship was ready to rearm and run her seatrials, to check the yard work - post drydock overhaul.

Work and weapons - it was all part of maintaining our HOMEs and EQUIPMENT

I had a GOVN driver's license - which allowed me to drive everything with US GOVN LICENSE PLATES, Another volunteer thing I did, knowing those with this drivers license, were always called on to grab vehicles for the ship, as we sailed and hit US Ports with GSA Fleet services. If we couldn't find government vehicles, we rented what we could find, using the ship's stash of cash (we sailed with a crap load of money - to cover our ops - we sailed all countries with port calls and repairs if necessary, anywhere)

We also stored our personal weapons in the armory aboard our ships. Pistols, rifles and shotguns etc. Many went hunting in Alaska, and all carried when we were up North, ashore on liberty - covering bears and wolves in Alaska during the 1980 - 1983 era.

No live tv in Alaska from the lower 48 year, no satellite tvs, no Internet, all news from the lower 48 was a 2 week delay (vhs or beta video tapes) mailed to Alaska and rebroadcasted and passed around to the other regions of Alaska. On Kodiak Island in 1980 - 2 week delay and a hamburger at DAIRY QUEEN in KODIAK in 1980 cost 8 DOLLARS

That then was off the charts in price - so we skipped fast food, and caught salmon and trout/steelhead and massive river mouth beach parties.
                              Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-31-2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Starling in flight via SLINGSHOT. I was around 12 or 13. The birds where roosting ACROSS the street. Cousin and I started shooting ROCKS at them as they flew by.

I filled the pouch with TWO stones partially covered in ASPHALT from when they paved the road. Stretched the bands to FULL TILT and let her rip. Down goes birdie at Maybe a 22.373 yard shot

I know...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X