Sika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lafuria View Post
    The ones we have dont look like that males are dark coat without spots that i can see and horns maybe 12 inches prob closer 150 lbs…. Are there more than one variety? But does look like that ones coat
    yes there are several sub species. The smaller dark ones you are describing are generally termed as Japanese sika. The one Coop has above is likely a Manchurian subspecies and there are also Formosa subspecies.

They do eat good, but I do know once the dominate bucks are rutted up, usually by Mid October, they have an awful stink to them. All three I have killed and eaten were in September and meat was great.
    Last edited by buck_wild; 10-01-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I shot a rutted up stag in late September and he stunk to high heaven.

But let him age in a cooler for a week and his meat was some of the best I’ve ever eaten and I’ve eaten a lot of game

Comment

The ones we have dont look like that males are dark coat without spots that i can see and horns maybe 12 inches prob closer 150 lbs…. Are there more than one variety? But does look like that ones coat
        Most of the free range are the smaller species Japan. But there are Dybowski, Manchuria that are from colder areas North China and Russia that are much bigger. But all eat very well.

Comment

Most of the free range are the smaller species Japan. But there are Dybowski, Manchuria that are from colder areas North China and Russia that are much bigger. But all eat very well. This one weigh 310lb.

Comment

Ok so I finally saw 2 sika (japanese) bucks after seeing them
            On cameras for years
            … how do you gauge what a trophy is? Like i said before they got little horns but the one i saw other day i think was a trophy but i have nothing to judge against
            Can anyone post a couple pics of big japanese sika?
            Not the giant manchurans, i dont got those
            Thanks… btw those sika are a very spooky bunch

Comment

Ok so I finally saw 2 sika (japanese) bucks after seeing them
              On cameras for years
              … how do you gauge what a trophy is? Like i said before they got little horns but the one i saw other day i think was a trophy but i have nothing to judge against
              Can anyone post a couple pics of big japanese sika?
              Not the giant manchurans, i dont got those
              Thanks… btw those sika are a very spooky bunch
              Find pics online of sika that are comparable to what you are seeing. Post them here.

There will be plenty of folks who will let you know whether to ground check them or give them another year.

Comment

On my kids camera in Rocksprings.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ha that second pic can be captioned Help Me.

Even more amazing is how y’all got tposts into the ground errr rock out there.

Comment

Kurt68 the deer in your pics is a young fallow deer. Looks like he got tangled up in some bailing twine.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                      Kurt68 the deer in your pics is a young fallow deer. Looks like he got tangled up in some bailing twine.
                      Yup, definitely a fallow

Comment

Wow, I thought fallow have palmated antlers?

This one is in the high fence outside our gate. I thought this was a fallow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pronounced Adam’s Apple is a dead giveaway for fallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                            Pronounced Adam’s Apple is a dead giveaway for fallow.
                            Ok, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                              Wow, I thought fallow have palmated antlers?

This one is in the high fence outside our gate. I thought this was a fallow.
                              They do. These are just babies

Comment

So what op is seeing expanding is fallow hopefully they move there way towards New Braunfels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X