Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powderhorn exotic hunt

A recap of my powderhorn exotic hunt

First let me start by saying what a top notch group of people TPWD have working at the Powderhorn WMA. Those men and women really work hard to make it a successful and enjoyable hunt for all.

I arrived at the area at 10:30 for the 11:00 orientation and compartment assignments. Prior to orientation they did the standby drawing which they drew 5 names, I believe there were 82 people there for that.

After reviewing the map of my area I headed out to get a feel for the land it was now alittle after 12:00. By 12:45 I had spotted what I deemed to be a respectable stag bedded about 500 yards from me in an oak Mott on the edge of a marsh. At this point all I could see was he top of his rack. I had a perfect stiff cross wind and managed to move through the tangle of short oak brush to the edge of the marsh. From here it was on hands and knees as I closed the last 30 yards to a spot I could set up my shooting sticks for a 150 yard shot sitting.

Now it was a waiting game for the stag to stand up. I remember thinking why did I not bring a water with me. My mouth was getting parched but I was determined. At last he stood to reposition and I was ready. The rifle bellowed followed by the reassuring whaup of the bullet finding its mark. I put my first shot through his shoulder with my .280 rem. The big stag fell but it wasn’t for long. He regained his hind legs and started plowing forward. He stopped for just a moment and I sent another one his way.... boom.....whaup.... and he was out of sight... now my mind racing did he crest the ridge or did he go down for good on the follow up.

I quickly gathered my stuff and made my way over to where I last saw him and there he lay. An absolutely amazing stag

I am tired so this is to be continued
    Attached Files

Wow. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a very nice bull. How did you get him out of there?

I was there on standby. Lots of folks for sure.

Comment

What he said WOW. Very nice hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice congrats

Comment

Way to get it done. I’d like to hear the rest of the story. Packing that big boy out had to be an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Thats awesome! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Comment

Super cool. Congrats!

Comment

Great job.

-john

Comment

Well I am back home now I am sure there are still some guys out there hunting the last morning hunt. Today will be a busy day processing meat but I will wrap up the hunt before days end.

For those who asked the recovery was rather anticlimactic the park staff came out with a ranger and drove up too him. He was about 200 yards off one of there trails and we we manhandled him into the back.

Comment

Was good meeting u. My brother in law got his yesterday evening so we were 4 for 4. Two of my guys went to the axis area where u were this morning. It’s a bit nippy.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Sweet!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X