Birdseed Foot Plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birdseed Foot Plot?

Has anyone ever planted birdseed(like the 50lb bags from walmart) in a field with any success. For some reason regular bird seed is about half the price of "food plot" per pound. Walmart sells a 50lb bag of white millet birdseed and im wondering if i can plant that for dove/ducks.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by AgBow25 View Post
    Has anyone ever planted birdseed(like the 50lb bags from walmart) in a field with any success. For some reason regular bird seed is about half the price of "food plot" per pound. Walmart sells a 50lb bag of white millet birdseed and im wondering if i can plant that for dove/ducks.

Thanks!!
    Works really well for dove plots. I like to start "planting" it about a month before the opener then replant every 3-4 days as needed. I go with the no till broadcast method.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
      Works really well for dove plots. I like to start "planting" it about a month before the opener then replant every 3-4 days as needed. I go with the no till broadcast method.
      hahahaha

Comment

Interesting idea I always get pretty good growth underneath my bird feeders lol

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
          Interesting idea I always get pretty good growth underneath my bird feeders lol
          ya me too.

Comment

Comment

From what I have found, the Walmart birdseed is about 25% small rocks.

I order stuff online or get the cheap stuff from HEB.

It grows well all the places the birds don’t eat it all up. I rarely let it make it to seed though.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Lol
                  I think we are the only ones that seen what he did there.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    I think we are the only ones that seen what he did there.
                    You two and six game wardens.

Comment

Standard (lazy farmer) agricultural practice. :-)

Comment

I’ve planted black oil bird seed in April early May for years in dove fields. Grows just fine

Comment

cool well im gonna plant this week and will let yall know how it turns out

Comment

The white millet is a variety of proso- 75 day maturity. If you are wanting a dove plot for sept 1 it's not going to be ready. If you were to get browntop millet you might be able to pull it off as its 60 day maturity, barring getting a rain on it to sprout and another rain when it sets seed. Getting pretty late to plant anything now with the summer sizzle setting in

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                              The white millet is a variety of proso- 75 day maturity. If you are wanting a dove plot for sept 1 it's not going to be ready. If you were to get browntop millet you might be able to pull it off as its 60 day maturity, barring getting a rain on it to sprout and another rain when it sets seed. Getting pretty late to plant anything now with the summer sizzle setting in
                              i planted some millet back in march/april but its already been burnt out

Comment

Working...
                              X