Texas Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
    The H dude and Berk (her first year of eligibility) are signed up for more than 18 opportunities. I only put in for them including private lands and general draws. I think its a neat opportunity for them to see areas of the state they don't normally get to see.

TYHP is a solid program, but it hasn't been an easy draw for H thus far. His first year we got lucky and I just happened to be talking to one of the coordinators when they were looking to fill a hunt and he drew the Freeman Ranch last season. They prefer new hunters with little experience, IMHO. Which is great.
    I agree about the new hunters getting first priority through TYHP and I think that is awesome. Gotta get new blood into the sport of hunting. We're very limited on what we actually apply for now for that reason. I do call and tell them that any last minute spots come open due to cancelations that we're more than happy to go.

TPWD hunts I put my son in for everything I can. Like you mentioned it's cool to hunt other areas of the state you might not otherwise get a chance to hunt.
    Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-11-2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
      I agree about the new hunters getting first priority and I think that is awesome. Gotta get new blood into the sport of hunting. I only applied for 2 or 3 hunts through them last year mainly for that reason (wanted new people to hunt instead of my son who's got to do a lot of hunting).
      Agreed. I only put H in for a select few. He drew the one we really wanted in the Freeman. The history of that ranch alone made it worth while. The cool thing about him drawing the Freeman is that once Berk comes of age, she is basically a shoe in to get drawn for that hunt and he'll get to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
        Agreed. I only put H in for a select few. He drew the one we really wanted in the Freeman. The history of that ranch alone made it worth while. The cool thing about him drawing the Freeman is that once Berk comes of age, she is basically a shoe in to get drawn for that hunt and he'll get to go back.
        Sorry I edited on you. Didn't realize you quoted me.

I've tried to get several people that we know that are new to hunting to apply and mention my son (on the referral deal like you brought up). Told them on their first hunt through the program we could probaly hunt together at the same place. Said we'd carpool to save gas etc and that I'd help them out during the hunt as much as I could. Can't convince them to do it.

Comment

On Richland Creek, they are now called Trinity Unit and Carl Frentress Unit.
          Anybody know which is the old north and south unit?
          I tried looking it up, but both have the same description and doesn’t say north or south of Hwy 287.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            On Richland Creek, they are now called Trinity Unit and Carl Frentress Unit.
            Anybody know which is the old north and south unit?
            I tried looking it up, but both have the same description and doesn’t say north or south of Hwy 287.
            Carl Frentress is the North and Trinity is the South.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
              Carl Frentress is the North and Trinity is the South.
              Thank you!!!

Comment

Made my yearly donation. Never been drawn, hoping this will be my year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MesquiteBean View Post
                  Made my yearly donation. Never been drawn, hoping this will be my year.

how many years?

Comment

Originally posted by Roperyoung View Post
                    how many years?

I believe this is my sixth year. Sure it won’t happen though.

Comment

Made my yearly donation. Drew 3 hunts in 2020, nothing last year, but hopeful this year with double digits in multiple categories. Anything that I have 10+ points for, I am very selective in what I apply for.

Comment

I have a boy coming in late October so my hunt season will be thin. I made a deal with the wife, I put in on the most desirable hunts thinking I am only building points for the future but if I get picked then I will go. She agreed with an angry look on her face. I will check back on how this works out if I do get picked.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                          I have a boy coming in late October so my hunt season will be thin. I made a deal with the wife, I put in on the most desirable hunts thinking I am only building points for the future but if I get picked then I will go. She agreed with an angry look on her face. I will check back on how this works out if I do get picked.
                          Good luck!! More with your wife if you get drawn! Lol

I drew a hunt 2 weeks after my little boy was born, but luckily it was a local one to me and as long as I promised I would be back each night after the hunt, she reluctantly agreed! So it can be done

Comment

I could predict the results.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Anyone know what happened to Colorado bend, they really cut the hunts & permits #’s

Comment

Haha!! Did the same thing in 18. My newborn son was going through some medical issues, so I told the wife I was only putting in the best hunts. Of course I drew Palo Duro Canyon exotic.

I still hear about that from the wife

Comment

Working...
                                X