traveling with gun (pistols) driving tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

traveling with gun (pistols) driving tour

we are thinking about doing some traveling this summer. driving up to ohio and maybe canada and hitting places in between. it would not bother me to carry our pistols most places in the US in our vehicle but I'm pretty sure we can not just drive across the the border and back into Canada with it in our vehicle. i guess we could leave at hotel but thats not really what i think is wise either. i could pawn them for two days and come back and get them so at least they'd be secure(joke).

thoughts?

Don't know the answer but I do know that you don't want to get caught trying to cross into Canada with a gun

Comment

WEH, good question, I have wondered how best to handle this same situation. Would be good to know how others have handled this?

Comment

Figure out where you plan to cross into Canada, call the border agents there, some times they will know of a police station or sheriff station in the US that you can drop your gun at and pick up when you get back. I buddy did this when he crossed the Canadian border.

Comment

i thought about dropping it at a PD also, but was not sure i wanted to go through their scrutiny. i have nothing to hide but who knows who i'd be dealing with.
          this one is still a probably if we end up taking them.

Comment

I went through this a few years ago. Handguns are a no go across into Canada. Shotguns and hunting rifles are good. At the time I filled out my paperwork to carry an 18” 870 12 ga across, and at the border checkpoint was just fine. Showed them my paperwork, they checked the gun out, and allowed me across……. BUT I had some kayaks with me as well. Since I had the kayaks with me I had to stop at a boat inspection station just passed the border check point. When I got to the inspection station and handed the b**** my paperwork for the kayaks she also saw the firearm paperwork as well. She started to grill me about the shotgun and forgot about my kayaks. She wasn’t satisfied with my answers end wouldn’t allow me to continue, so I had to turn around and take them back to the US side. Once back at the border checkpoint the Canadian BP there apologized for her, and referred to her as the same name I did. They told me there was a Duty Free station 100 yds ahead, and that they had lockers I could store my firearms in. Cost me $10 and was in and out in about 10 minutes. The funny thing is there was a bar attached to the duty station, and it was full of Asian tourists. The looks from them walking into a bar with a 12 ga slung across my back was worth it alone lol the downside was we had to come back across at the same port to get the shotgun which was not our original plan.

Comment

If returning through the same port, would a safety deposit box on US side work

Comment

Crossing into Canada...

Not sure if it is an option for you, but I contacted a Police Department in upstate NY. (Malone to be exact) and told them that I was on a road trip and was hoping to visit a friend in Canada. They were super helpful, and locked my handgun up in their property locker until I returned later. All it cost me was a Patch. May be worth a phone call to the agency closest to where you intend to cross. I would contact a small town agency instead of a large one. Worse thing they can say is no.

Comment

I know very little on the subject but when we went hunting in Canada the outfitter was telling us that it is illegal to have a handgun outside of a shooting range. I guess there are gun clubs or something along those lines where you can leave the gun there and go shoot it at the same facility.

Comment

I have been told by truck drivers who routinely travel into Canada, that there are places on this side of the boarder that have lockers you can rent just for this purpose.

Comment

I’d search the port you’re looking to cross at. I crossed at The Port of Roo in Eureka Montana. They had a duty free store there. Also a US Customs agent offered to store the shotgun for us at his residence if the duty store was closed at the time. It was still relatively early morning when we crossed.

Comment

I knew a guy that traveled around in an RV while his new house was being built. He told me he would stash his uhhh....stash in the ceiling tiles of gas station bathrooms before crossing into Canada, then retrieve it when they returned. You could go that route.

Comment

thanks for all the responses!! i should be able to get it handled should we decide to cross into canada

Comment

Post deleted
                            Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 05-02-2022, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                              Not sure if it is an option for you, but I contacted a Police Department in upstate NY. (Malone to be exact) and told them that I was on a road trip and was hoping to visit a friend in Canada. They were super helpful, and locked my handgun up in their property locker until I returned later. All it cost me was a Patch. May be worth a phone call to the agency closest to where you intend to cross. I would contact a small town agency instead of a large one. Worse thing they can say is no.
                              I don't think this is legal these days. You cannot transport a handgun into NY unless you have a state issued permit. There is a limited exemption if you are traveling through and don't intend to stop for the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X